Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm like most get intoxicated by the new bells and whistles with these Xbows but how does it make you a better hunter?

Are they scientifically proven they are more accurate?

Reactions: Bowhunter57

·
9,830 Posts
Better hunter?... Yes. More accurate? Possibly ... for two reasons:
#1. Could actually be more precision equipment.
#2. Self confidence and your shooting psyche. Might make the shooter better simply because he THINKS he's better. Unlocks his subconsciously imposed limitation.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Between my two crossbows, my XB380 is not only more accurate, but faster as well. I messed up on guessing the range of my 6 pt this season, by about 7-10 yards, but the extra speed and accuracy pulled the shot off without a hitch. So yes, less chance of an error in range estimation causing a wounded animal when things come on too fast to access the rangefinder makes for cleaner kills in adverse situations.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
They don't make you a better hunter. Just a better shooter. There are dozens of bows at all different price points that shoot very accurately so you can't do much better than that. It's the size, speed, and bells and whistles that attract you to buy that shiny new bow.

·
5,057 Posts
The faster the arrow, the flatter the trajectory which reduces range errors.

An enclosed rail (currently, the SWAT, SWAT XP, future - wait for Jan 11 :) ) reduces archer’s paradox which enhances accuracy and variances in various points.

If your hunting skills stay the same, but you can shoot more accurately and/or with a flatter trajectory, you WILL be a more effective hunter.

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Better hunter?... Yes. More accurate? Possibly ... for two reasons:
#1. Could actually be more precision equipment.
#2. Self confidence and your shooting psyche. Might make the shooter better simply because he THINKS he's better. Unlocks his subconsciously imposed limitation.
So it's subjective reasoning. Correct?

Reactions: dynamo61

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
They do not make me a better hunter. They do make me more successful. My definition of "better hunter" is woodsmanship skills. Or being able to put yourself in a position to harvest game. A crossbow and accessory is a tool to accomplish the kill.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Confidence in your equipment is critical to being a successful hunter, as Duke stated.
I have an old 7-mag in my gun closet that still shoots just as well as the day I bought it 30 years ago but I no longer hunt with it because about 10 years ago I botched a couple shots with it at nice bucks. Was it the guns fault? Certainly not but to this very day I’m still not comfortable hunting with that gun. I know it’s all in my head but it’s still a reality to me. I’m not saying that you can or should try to buy confidence but sometimes when confidence is lost in one’s equipmen, it’s time for a change.

·
3,260 Posts
Always depends how you hunt. I think I react almost opposite of most on here. My reaction is usually “I don’t need that and it wouldn’t make a real difference for me”, but that’s the mizer in me talking. If someone hunts ways or places where it makes a difference, then sure. I’m sure there will be times and situations when the tech could fail as well. Crossbows are my hobby, and they interest me. I want to see most crossbow companies succeed. I’m also fine with the fact that their success is going to be from other peoples money. ;)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Here is my view, I shot longbow and recurves for the last 20 years, your choice of weapon does NOT dictate how good of a hunter you are. Crossbows may expand your shot distance, you still have to use woodsmanship to kill them.....or a giant corn pile

You are correct. IMO the more accurately you are able to deliver either an arrow, bolt, or bullet, the faster and cleaner a kill is higher percentage. Wounding an animal, reguardless of hunting, tracking, or scouting skills profiency, is an unacceptable act, especially so if an upgrade in equipment could have easily resulted in a more desirable outcome.

I totally agree that woodsmanship is necesary to be a good hunter, but using the best most reliable equipement you can reasonably afford, and practicing for profiency is a large part of being an ethical, responsible hunter. Clothes don't make the man, and fancy equipement doesn't make a hunter.

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
The faster the arrow, the flatter the trajectory which reduces range errors.

An enclosed rail (currently, the SWAT, SWAT XP, future - wait for Jan 11 :) ) reduces archer’s paradox which enhances accuracy and variances in various points.

If your hunting skills stay the same, but you can shoot more accurately and/or with a flatter trajectory, you WILL be a more effective hunter.
SEW, I will challenge you on this. In theory you have merit but in reality with the wide range of shooters and abilities I have my doubts that could be a value add. Faster flatter concept sounds good but do we have data on this that demonstrates this in the woods shooting through low hanging branches? Is so where is it? What you say sounds good but how much flatter are shots between 20-30 yards using a 370fps Xbow vs a 420fps Xbow with a 400 grain arrow? Hell, pick a number. How much flatter? Show me the data. I'm now retired and my background is in marketing. Just sayin'.

Here is my concern. I like the new offerings with internal CCD xbows. However, what happens if it fails in the field? What about the option to rope cock as a backup option? What is my response to Murphy's law with mechanical designs vs go ole' manpower to manually rope cock if you have too.

Accuracy to me a wash so far at 20-40 yards. That is just me when you are already damaging nocks with your current Xbow out to 40 plus yards.

I am purposely being a doubting Thomas on this matter. I am concerned the value of a one step forward technology with CCD is great but what about potential two step back experience if the CCD fails and you don't have the option to rope cock. Having a backup Xbow although makes sense also says you don't have confidence in your first Xbow. Hell, I have two as well. :p I can assure you my son's Bear Vertical bows have been going on long distance DIY hunts and neither have a backup bow now going on 10 years. What does that say about Xbows?

Reactions: thomaskelley

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Between my two crossbows, my XB380 is not only more accurate, but faster as well. I messed up on guessing the range of my 6 pt this season, by about 7-10 yards, but the extra speed and accuracy pulled the shot off without a hitch. So yes, less chance of an error in range estimation causing a wounded animal when things come on too fast to access the rangefinder makes for cleaner kills in adverse situations.
Respectfully, that is on you not the Xbow. Be a better Indian. I hate to be blunt but that is all part of hunting.

Reactions: thomaskelley

·
Registered
12,587 Posts
Confidence in your equipment is critical to being a successful hunter, as Duke stated.
I have an old 7-mag in my gun closet that still shoots just as well as the day I bought it 30 years ago but I no longer hunt with it because about 10 years ago I botched a couple shots with it at nice bucks. Was it the guns fault? Certainly not but to this very day I’m still not comfortable hunting with that gun. I know it’s all in my head but it’s still a reality to me. I’m not saying that you can or should try to buy confidence but sometimes when confidence is lost in one’s equipmen, it’s time for a change.
A few years back I almost lost confidence in my Win .308 after hitting several deer in spots I was not aiming for out of tree stands. I killed them but the bullets that had always flown true were no longer doing so but after each one I shot off a bench and was dead on so I almost convinced myself that it was me. Then it hit me that when I was shooting flat off a bench I was dead on but off when climbing higher so I climbed and shot and I was off a few inches on every shot.
I took that scope off and put another on and my problem was solved. My confidence in my .308 (and myself) was restored. :)

·
9,830 Posts
So it's subjective reasoning. Correct?
As ... a better Hunter ... no it's not subjective. (See SEW's post #8)
Is the same soldier shooting a flintlock a better soldier than the one shooting an M1, or M16? Of course not. The bells and whistles are making him a better soldier. Same skills and "fieldmanship," just better equipment.

As for more accurate, yes & no ...lol. No, if we're assuming his new super-bow with quadruple duelies on it is in reality bringing no more precision to the table than his existing Excalibur recurve then it's objective reasoning.

Yes, if both old & new produce the same precision, but he thinks he's better and indeed does shoot better for subconscious reasons. That's subjective from shooter to shooter. (See Lanny Bassham philosophies)

Reactions: SEW
1 - 20 of 157 Posts