Crossbow Nation banner

121 - 140 of 157 Posts

·
1,862 Posts
I found myself thinking about this, this morning. And besides making things easier there's a degree of added enjoyment to technology. I have been getting back into rabbit hunting more like running rabbit dogs than killing rabbits. Anyway back in the day it was a lot harder to train dogs to come. Some hounds are hard headed one that likes to hunt likes to keep hunting. And then theres off game we used to have to run them down,when they busted out of the brush after a deer and make corrections.

Now they wear GPS tracking collars that are also shocking collars. You can tone the collar this means the collar beeps. Through training they learn when they hear the tone they better come right now. In one instance not long ago they was running wide open just being dogs lol. They were going where i didn't want to go so i toned them they stopped and we went the way i wanted. My young pup ran a deer i shocked him he thought the deer hurt him. He did it again and that deer hurt him. He hasn't run one since. I can also track every where each dog goes on google maps i can tell if there running walking even when there barking even what dog is in front.

Its about here i kinda changed my mind a little bit. I'm no better rabbit hunter than i was 30 years ago. But it sure is more enjoyable.

Bow hunting is kinda the same way. Was it more satisfying killing deer and turkey with trad bows i made sure,was it more enjoyable than using what i have now. No not really i enjoy the scope rangefinder and accuracy i have now.

I understand the draw to newer bows and sights more now than i did yesterday lol. Must have been strong coffee :). I still have my personal hang ups like uncocking that many just don't get. But hey enjoy what you like and have a good hunt. After all this is no practice life.

Here's a rabbit Sug ran solo, i'm the yellow line riding in a buggy :).

·
2,203 Posts
A few years back I almost lost confidence in my Win .308 after hitting several deer in spots I was not aiming for out of tree stands. I killed them but the bullets that had always flown true were no longer doing so but after each one I shot off a bench and was dead on so I almost convinced myself that it was me. Then it hit me that when I was shooting flat off a bench I was dead on but off when climbing higher so I climbed and shot and I was off a few inches on every shot.
I took that scope off and put another on and my problem was solved. My confidence in my .308 (and myself) was restored. :)

Shooting out of a treestand and shooting off a bench is totally different. A lot of people don't think about the treestand moving slightly as there is a breeze. The bench is comfortable and one can get the rifle stock in that perfect spot in the shoulder, but forget about that perfect spot in a tree with a big buck in front of them.
I do like all the bells and whistles but am having a hard time getting away from my Scorpyd Aculeus 135. Three shots and three deer this year. One-shot was 7 yards one shot was 10 yards and one was 30 yards. All fell insight. I'm not looking for a faster bow as this one was the slowest I could get. A little narrower might be nice but I just can't justify $2000 for a couple of inches narrower. On hunts that I need really narrow, I use my Hickory Creek Mini inline vertical crossbow. I have yet to see one close to as narrow as it is. lol

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
I reckon that with the huge cost of this new stuff, your wallet is lighter and therefore your balance is better. Better balance = better shot, = more game harvested. LOL
That logic works quite well on this forum. :p

·
9,800 Posts
500fps ... would make me a better hunter. :p A bow with a 2 shot magazine would make me a better hunter too.;) For the price of one 500fps I could take two double barrel crossbows into the tree and give me 4 shots at Bambi; that would make me a better hunter also.:unsure::sneaky:

·
Registered
8,598 Posts
I have a few friends who harvest nice buck every year. They put in the time, They scout. They practice. No baiting allowed! They know the woods & their quarry. I know others at the club who always have the latest & greatest equipment head to toe and they are not as successful year to year. I resent the implication that my choice of crossbow makes me more or less of a hunter! I personally prefer to "hunt" my deer. Attempt to harvest him in his environment. If I wanted to shoot deer at 50-100 yards I would use my Model 88.. Did you ever think that maybe there is a reason that these companies are making our crossbow "our next rifle"? They are catering to time restricted buyers. I would prefer to harvest a deer after I have hunted him. That's the challenge for me. Apparently not everyone agrees they just want the bone. I get more enjoyment harvesting a 6 point at 15 yds than shooting a 150 at 100yds. Archery has always been an up close & personal form of hunting for me. I had a beautiful droptine at about 65 yards this year that I let walk. I hope he is still around next year and I will work/hunt harder to harvest him. Think about what I can do better not what I can BUY better! I am at peace with my decision because I am a hunter not a shooter!

·
5,045 Posts
Tim,
Reading into what you just posted, it appears that if a person shoots a deer with a crossbow at 50 yards or greater, that person isn’t a hunter, rather just a shooter.

·
Registered
214 Posts
500fps ... would make me a better hunter. :p A bow with a 2 shot magazine would make me a better hunter too.;) For the price of one 500fps I could take two double barrel crossbows into the tree and give me 4 shots at Bambi; that would make me a better hunter also.:unsure::sneaky:
Or, 2 or 4 times worse.... hehehehe

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Not as concerned by speed as the do it for you scopes. Letting the fans on the field with the pros is never a good idea.

·
346 Posts
Tim,
Reading into what you just posted, it appears that if a person shoots a deer with a crossbow at 50 yards or greater, that person isn’t a hunter, rather just a shooter.
It depends, if that person is sitting in a blind or treestand it's debatable. If you are stalking thru the woods, and manage to get within 50yards that person is a great hunter.

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk

·
2,203 Posts
Tim,
I don't think Tim was implying that at all. Tim seems to like the challenge of getting a deer close in bow hunting, if he wanted to take a deer at long range he said he would use a gun. I agree with Tims thoughts except for the fact that if I can't get the deer closer than 50 yards today, I'll hunt him again tomorrow. Killing a deer isn't tough at all, it just takes woodsmanship, patience, skill and a place that has deer to hunt. Sneaking up on a deer to 50 or 100 yards is pretty easy. Getting up close and personal is what bowhunting used to be about. I guess I must be a has been.:(

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
I don't think Tim was implying that at all. Tim seems to like the challenge of getting a deer close in bow hunting, if he wanted to take a deer at long range he said he would use a gun. I agree with Tims thoughts except for the fact that if I can't get the deer closer than 50 yards today, I'll hunt him again tomorrow. Killing a deer isn't tough at all, it just takes woodsmanship, patience, skill and a place that has deer to hunt. Sneaking up on a deer to 50 or 100 yards is pretty easy. Getting up close and personal is what bowhunting used to be about. I guess I must be a has been.:(
I prefer the term sportsman.

·
5,045 Posts
Tim,
I’m incurably analytical. A result of that is that I very analytically read what is written or said much like a mathamatical formula. Believe me, I love archery and its challenge much as you do. I bow hunted exclusively for 42 consecutive years starting at age 10. I still use a vertical recurve and teach instinctive archery in public schools (NASP).

You discussed how you like to hunt, ranges at which you wouldn’t shoot, what archery has meant to you, mentioned something about which we both agree, “your next rifle” - an unacceptable ad and inference, but you gave the inference that “if you don’t agree with me then that person is just after “bone”. Then mentioning that that you passed on a deer at 65 yards. Then stating what you can do verses what you can buy and then gave the summary that you do what you do because you are a “hunter”, not just a ”shooter”. Does that not seem judgemental?

Clearly, I’m out of step with the general thought on this forum. I believe in allowing each his own. Not passing judgement and setting limitations. If a person isn’t loosing game, is he unethical? I doubt that that was your intent, but go back and carefully read your post. l do believe that you are an excellent and ethical hunter. But, are those who do differently than you, just “shooters” and not “hunters”?

·
9,800 Posts
Tim,
I’m incurably analytical. A result of that is that I very analytically read what is written or said much like a mathamatical formula. Believe me, I love archery and its challenge much as you do. I bow hunted exclusively for 42 consecutive years starting at age 10. I still use a vertical recurve and teach instinctive archery in public schools (NASP).

You discussed how you like to hunt, ranges at which you wouldn’t shoot, what archery has meant to you, mentioned something about which we both agree, “your next rifle” - an unacceptable ad and inference, but you gave the inference that “if you don’t agree with me then that person is just after “bone”. Then mentioning that that you passed on a deer at 65 yards. Then stating what you can do verses what you can buy and then gave the summary that you do what you do because you are a “hunter”, not just a ”shooter”. Does that not seem judgemental?

Clearly, I’m out of step with the general thought on this forum. I believe in allowing each his own. Not passing judgement and setting limitations. If a person isn’t loosing game, is he unethical? I doubt that that was your intent, but go back and carefully read your post. l do believe that you are an excellent and ethical hunter. But, are those who do differently than you, just “shooters” and not “hunters”?
I think ... a lot of people say things that they haven't thought through. Say things that they formed their opinions on long, long ago and never "updated" the subject. Some of those opinions weren't even examined in the first place; they were inherited or passed on from friends, family, publications, or wherever. "Conventional Wisdom" or traditional values are often accepted sans any scrutiny; without asking "why?" rt2 in post #122 is a mild example of someone with an established opinion on technology but when something triggered introspection, he modified his opinion.

That said, it doesn't mean that others simply have a legitimate different perspective. :)

Nor that others still aren't just contrary, rigid, ... or stupid. :p ;)

·
9,800 Posts
Duke, you certainly seem right, once again. Maybe someday Moon will come to recognize that you’re close to infallible..

121 - 140 of 157 Posts