Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Hunter
6,187 Posts
How long.

Usually about two years ,or until something I think is better than the one I have comes along.
Sometimes that does not turn out well.

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
I keep all my bows until they are pryed out of my hands. Once I get one and get used to it, I HATE changing. Even when the bow has a specific problem, I HATE changing and breaking another one in. My shooting takes time to adjust, Always and each time I change bows. I curse for the first few hunts where I shootin' at something, that I should have not changed bows. Probably a mental thing only anyway. Obviously, I'm not for CHANGE!!!!! I shoot each bow for about 2 years except my first love~ My Legend SL. I shot her for 4 or 5 years. Peep sights. Wouldn't Change until I shot a big hog and didn't get the penetration I should have and lost the big beast after trailing for an evening, night, and a morning in the rocky canyons till there was no more blood to track. That was very disapointing as it would have been the new world record hog beating my others for many years. I changed. Got her a new string too. She belongs in a Crossbow Museum hall of fame.

·
Banned
402 Posts
pass it along

I all ways pass it along to someone in need when i no longer need one of my old bows, most often to a young man without..who shows interest in archery.about every 2 years I change archery bows,There are many young boys and girls who need a helping hand in life..

·
Registered
33 Posts
I don't have as many xbows as Moonkryket, but I have at least 10 of them including 1992 Excal Wolverine that is NIB and a 2008 Excal Relayer that may get the same treatment.

1992 Wolverine

2008 Y25 Relayer

·
41 Posts
I just bought my 1st x-bow this year-(xcal phoenix-2007) prior to that i have owned 5 vertical bows since 1978. Bear whitetail (bought second hand) and used for 1 season. I bought 3 dartons from 1979 thru 1994 . I then purchased a ross 337(2006 bow) in 2007. I gave away my first 3 vertical bows and only have in my possesion a 1994 darton mustang, 2006 Ross 337 and my xcal phoenix 2007. I doubt i will buy another vertical bow again since the two I have are sufficient but i may pick up another xcal (exocet) but I would sell the phoenix after i purchased the exocet.

·
1,223 Posts
Until they get dust on them!

For a while I was buying and selling to buy again. But now that I'm earning a reasonable paycheck, I don't have to sell to buy.
I just bought an old bow thru e-bay because I liked the bow back when I had an original one.
No current reason to sell most of my bows.
Though two may be advertized again for sale...it really doesn't matter if they sell. Like Moon....I'm running out of walls to hang them from!
Wish I had an overhang like that to hang mine from!

Mike

·
11,432 Posts
I am in the process fo clearing some of them out

while probably adding 2 more and that will be it for a while:D I can't wait to get my hands on my medieval hunting crossbow.

·
Incurable Tinkerer
5,031 Posts
Just like guns, as long as they are interesting and ACCURATE.
Thinking about trading a once interesting, not-so-accurate .22 mag Striker, for a sweet shooting Phoenix...today.

·
224 Posts
I've thought about getting another crossbow but think its along the lines
of cheating on the one I have now. I picked this one out and have been with it ever since. 3 years now. Shoots like a dream. I've shot it thousands of times. Even though I know what's gonna happen just about exactly every time, I still love doing it.

I did that with vertical bows though.
I'll just wind up back with the old one anyway.
And then I'll be thinking about the other one. Well sometimes.

Sometimes I'll be thinking about the one I don't have but want. You know, the one I've only ever seen. In a magazine. One that I've never shot, and the chances of me shooting it are about slim to none. I'll be wondering what its like to shoot it. I'll even do that sometimes while I'm shooting the one I've got. I try not to but you probably know how it goes. You know how sometimes you have to snap your mind back to paying attention to what you're shooting at the moment so you don't get hurt?

Sometimes I think about the one that I've held in my hands while out having a good time with a bunch of my buddies. Never got a chance to shoot any of those and sortakinda glad I didn't. Then I'd know what I was missing. I've always thought that I could get hurt by some of them and have something happen where a limb might fall off or something terrible like that.
I've always been afraid buying one and then getting a limp limb.
So I've been pretty careful.

I've also thought about borrowing my best buddy's but if anything ever happened to it, well, things just wouldn't be the same between us. So I don't even ask. I think aboutit but I don't ask. I try NOT to think about it...but well...he has a mighty fine looking bow.

Sometimes I think he might get offended with me asking and all. I'm pretty sure of it actually. Then sometimes I think he might take it as a downright nice compliment. Its just not worth taking the risk and damaging our relationship.

I've seen the ones in mail order catalogs. Some of them are even from foreign countries. LOTS of 'em with most of them looking the like the same sweet sleek machines, but you just know there's something a little different about everyone of 'em.

Folks, I'd write more but its time for me to get on my horse and go to my brother's 25th wedding anniversary party. Now there's one guy I'll NEVER ask to shoot his bow ;)

Best Regards,

Pete

·
211 Posts
when it comes to hunting equipment I tend to keep the setup I've found works the best for me until it wears out or I find something I like better, I also dont see much need for a half dozen bows/rifles devoted to the same purpose, I like to have one or two setups, know them well, and be profecient with it, hard to do when you have 20 different rigs...
I have a couple compound setups and a few bowfishing rigs(I blew my recurve up a few years back so I dont have one of those anymore), but my main hunting bow is a Darton viper I bought brand new back in the early 90's, I've shot more bows than I can count and have yet to find a setup I like better than my viper, my setup is everything I want and need, so why change?
back when I shot religiously it was boring to practice at 20 yards with it and if I shot for groups I'd have all my arrows wrecked within just a couple rounds, then I'd have to fix them all, I could outshoot most of the guys around here with their fancy target bows with my camo hunting bow with string silencers on it... ;)

I'm the same way with crossbows, I did alot of research on crossbows when I was in the market, decided on a phoenix, and am glad I did... I see myself keeping and hunting with this bow for a long time, I may pick up another one just for shits but I dont see the need in owning 30 of them, 28 of them would just hang on the wall collecting dust...

hunting guns are the same way, I have a few deer rifles for various situations, a couple different small game rifles, various handguns for small and big game, a muzzleloader, and a couple long range guns, and again I tend to find and setup a system that I like and keep it... I have various "fun" guns that are devoted to nothing more than fun shooting and horse trading among them doesnt bother me but I'll very rarely ever sell a hunting gun I've become attached to... and like bows, I just dont see the need for 20 deer rifles and 12 small game guns, it would just be a waste in my world...

the "I have more toys I win" way of thinking just doesnt appeal to me when it comes to hunting equipment...

a guy can never have too many full auto machine guns though...:D

·
11,432 Posts
Especially the way this country is going!

I don't think most folks that have lots of similar guns or crossbows, for example :) think they win because they have lots of them. They are just SICK!!;);) Actually I can never get enough of shooting crossbows and it does get boring picking up the same crossbow everyday. If all I did was practice a few weeks before bow season and then throw it in a corner after season is over, I would only need one crossbow. I hope it never gets to that point.

·
329 Posts
to all,

most people here that know me know that i'll happily keep my Yukon SL essentially forever.
if/when it cannot be repaired/restrung, THEN i'll get another XB.

fwiw, the young man who bought my Barnett recurve is "a HAPPY CAMPER". i believe that he'll keep it forever, too.

fwiw, i "checked out" my total expenses on my XB a couple of days ago (when someone asked me how much you HAVE to spend to get enough "decent stuff to hunt" in our "urban deer season") & found out that counting 2 dozen arrows, broadheads, the Yukon, heavy leather sling/swivels & "incidentals", i have the princely sum of about 200.oo invested. ====> pretty CHEAP entertainment, even if i never see another deer/bear/hog!!!

yours, texasnative46

·
327 Posts
Man, I have about four recurve bows, two long bows and three compounds. Each one has some sort of sentimental attachment to go along with it. I have one crossbow (Darton Impact) which I'm in love with and am in the process of acquiring a Ten Point GT Curve. One of the compounds is an old Stemmlar Sting that was a gift from a girlfriend after our first night of.... well you get the picture. I got that bow back in 1985 and I still have it and still shoot it on occasion.

I had one recurve bow that a neighborhood boy fellin love with. Everytime I saw him at the club he'd ask is he could shoot the Kodiak. He could barely draw the thing back but he loved the bow. He'd spend hours at the range shooting and simply staring at this old Bear bow. After about two years of him drooling over this bow I decided I'd make a gift of it. My son already had two bows and was more than happy to pass this one along to a kid who'd appreciate it. I went to the range and sure enough there he was with his father at teh archery range. I let him shoot the bow for about an hour. As I was preparing to leave he came up to return the bow. Before he could give it back to me I tossed him the camo case and told him it needed a good home. I haven't seen a smile that big in a long time and I felt pretty darn warm inside. Every time I see him at the club, he always smiles and holds up the bow.

·
Armed Citizen
1,918 Posts
I still have my first and only crossbow. The Horton EXP from 1989. If I can ever get my son to put down the muzzle loader long enough. He'll probably use this one and I'll move on to a much more modern bow. But it will never be sold or discarded until it can no longer be used.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts