Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
In Texas, we can hunt 365 days a year with the the only closed season being Archery whitetail deer season, but you can hunt exotic deer or anything else during that time. Turkey is closed except for spring and fall season (4 turkey per year total), and Dove season is closed except for the Fall and Winter season, and Quail have a season, but don't hunt those with a crossbow. Other than that, no closed seasons on varmints, (raccoon, badger, opossum, fox, coyote, etc) hogs, squirrels, snakes, exotic game, which includes anything not endigenious to Texas. Oh! Javelina have some closed counties, but not where I ever hunt. We can take 2 per year but on the honor system. No tags for those. I love hunting Texas! Something to chase everyday!

·
Banned
364 Posts
The whitetail season is approx 90days long, Bear season runs about 21days , depending on what time frame you draw. Coyote and fox are 100day+ season Other varmints are open most all year. There is a draw for elk and it's about a 14day season. 100% success if you draw. But chances are about 1 in 75,000 and there is only 200-300 permits each year. Crossbow is legal for all seasons and every critter IF YOU have a permit. Tough to get unless you have some disabilitating handicap.

·
Banned
1,256 Posts
Spring turkey 6 weeks.

Deer starts generally Oct 7 or so and runs through Jan 7 or so. Bow is about 8 weeks of that - gun the rest. ML gets 2 weeks in there too. But you can use bow during gun or ML if you wish. We have several urban archery areas that run from Sept 15 through Mar 30. Most of the state has unlimited doe tags for private land. Shoot till you get tired of dragging 'em out. 3 bucks total for the year all weapons combined.

Bear is about 4 weeks for bow and another month for gun. Some seasons run slightly more or less.

We're a dog chasing for deer hunting state in 1/2 and that screws up the hunting for a lot of areas. When the dogs start running you can pretty much forget any still hunting.

·
11,435 Posts
Bird

You could have fooled me. In Prince George County they chase deer 13 months per year. I wish I had a dollar everytime I've had a bowhunt screwed up because deer chasing law breakers can't resist throwing their dogs in the woods during bow season:ack2:

·
211 Posts
archery whitetail starts here the third weekend in sept. and runs until the end of dec., however I think that changed last year and runs until the first week in jan. now, I'd have to recheck to be sure...

most of the small game species opens the same time as bow hunting and closes the end of jan., rabbits start mid october and run til the end of feb., the 9 day gun deer season runs over thanksgiving week with the week long muzzeloader season running right after that, we usually have a 4 day gun deer season in oct. and another in dec. right after the muzzleloader season

coyotes are open year round as are snowshoes

anything in that time frame can be hunted with a croosbow

·
224 Posts
Maryland starts up 9/15 and winds down to the last day of January.

Pete

Deer of course...ducks and geese are a whole different ball game and that's been jinking
around

·
Banned
1,256 Posts
Moonkryket said:
You could have fooled me. In Prince George County they chase deer 13 months per year. I wish I had a dollar everytime I've had a bowhunt screwed up because deer chasing law breakers can't resist throwing their dogs in the woods during bow season:ack2:
I'm trying to be nice since Hokieman isn't on here. As soon as the heat of summer dies down they'll be running them.

That reminds me, time to get new hunting and trapping :party: licenses will be here soon.

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
Texas, dogs are a no-no big time to hunt deer, so none of that nonsense thank GOD! That just means the dogs are doing the hunting, and whomever is following is doing the killing. Must be fun for the dogs I guess. You can use a dog to track, but it has to stay leashed.
I believe personally, that's a great idea. This way, the one persons dogs don't mess up everyone else who's taking and making the time to hunt.

·
242 Posts
Here in Colorado, it's all over the place. For deer and elk you can hunt any rifle season which go from 5 day hunts to some 5 month private land only hunts in some game units. Turkey is a little over a month, each small game species have their own season, mountain lion is several months in the winter, but once the limit is taken, you have to switch to another unit. Some bear seasons are just a few days long and some last a month or so. The harder-to-draw tags all have a different season that I don't know. You have to hold a degree in hunting regulations to know how to hunt here. I've been hunting Colorado for over 20 years (and I REALLY study the regs) and I still am surprised every once in a while with a regulation that I didn't know.

·
665 Posts
Here in the awful state of michigan, if you are not disabled you can only use them from Nov15th to Nov30th (firearm season) If you are a mess like me you can apply for a permit and if you get one you can use them from sept 20th thru Jan1st On deer

Small game like rabbit is sept thru march

There are alot of crossbow haters here in michisuck and they are trying to stop the Dnr from allowing everyone to use crossbows in archery season. I say a arrow is a arrow

·
Banned
108 Posts
Urban Legend said:
How long is the season that you can legally hunt with a crossbow? Here in Ohio, it is the length of archery season. 4 months long for whitetail. Spring Turkey is about 4 weeks, I think. Coyote is open season. .:)
hey i am in ohio too.....sept 29 til the first week in feb..............love it!

·
329 Posts
to all,

the "urban deer season", in numerous cities, towns, counties here in VA (where i have an apartment - that's ONE reason i have a VA residence!!!), is from 9/1/08 continously to 03/15/09. MOST of those areas are archery ONLY, as gun hunting is prohibited.

further, there is NO limit on harvesting WTs during the "special season", except that you are PROHIBITED from "wasting edible meat", by city/town/county ordinance.

we have so many deer in these urban areas that i have wondered WHY they bother to have a "closed season" for WTs. SOME locales have at least FOUR (4) times as many deer as the environment will readily support.
yours, texasnative46

·
175 Posts
I have to agree with Moonkryket as I have also had some good bowhunting days in the past ruined by dogs running through the woods prior to gun season. I know that the reason is to get them ready for gun season but it seems they use them to run deer during the muzzleloading season which is a no-no. I have heard people shoot muzzleloaders while dogs were running and then the dogs stopped. Go figure! But I solved that problem by hunting at Fort Pickett since they discontinued allowing dogs to be used on their property. Since I bow hunt only I'm in an area on or around the base far away from any private lands so I haven't had any deer dogs come around me nor have I heard any. Plus Pickett extends their doe only season usually through sometime in February and it ended this past February 29th. So I guess you can say I bow hunt from the first Saturday in October until Pickett ends it sometime in February for about five months worth of bow hunting.

·
1,223 Posts
My hunting season is.....365/6 days a year...
Since I only hunt foam, at home...I can shoot any time I feel the urge.

Hey you asked!

Mike

·
512 Posts
Archery Deer Season; - Sept. 13 - Jan. 1
Special Archery Season; - Urban Area; Jan. 10 - Feb. 14

1 - 20 of 23 Posts