Crossbow Nation banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
511 Posts
Me my wife and daughter we go through 3 to 4 in a year. Lots of Taco's and. Sloppy Does. Definitely dont need more than 4.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Well I get 7 landowner tags a year (archery and firearms combined) and can buy unlimited antlerless archery tags but I usually only fill 3 to 4. My wife and I like a couple for sausage and jerky and my daughter always wants a couple. This year however all of my available time is spent building the new house so it might be zero for this year.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
We will finish at 5 most likely. I am not into killing anything I dont need or depopulating my hunting area.

·
236 Posts
Dropped off 45 packages of venison to one our local food banks yesterday. I try to take a doe about every other week, clean, butcher and grind it up for the food bank. We have unlimited doe in the Urban area around me so I take advance of it. Its actually a lot of work but they need the meat. I stopped by today and they said they had 83 people stop by for food this past Tuesday a full third more than normal.

·
Registered
13,920 Posts
Well, I LOVE bowhunting so I hunt a lot. I try taking 4 decent sized deer and actually that's probably more meat than me and the wife will eat. We dont buy beef at all. Deer meat takes it's place. Ive already killed what I need for the year but since my daughter is pregnant she hasn't hunted any so I was thinking I'd shoot one and process it for her and her husband and one more to make jerky with. I wanna fill my second buck tag and I also want to do a bit more urban hunting. I'm finishing my season out bow hunting only.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Have family and friends who love venison chili, summer sausage,sweet Italian ,brauts,andouille. The things you can do with deer meat is limitless. A grinder,a sausage press and a recipe book make for some good winter fun.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have to admit after my last hunt my freezer is packed. I may only go just to get better in the woods. I sure don't need more meat. I typically am a one deer kill hunter a year. However, If I saw a trophy I'd take the shot and donate the food.
I usually try for 4 a year, and give 1 away. Now that my kids are getting bigger, I'm planning to keep 4, and if we get a 5th, we'll donate that one. This year my 13yo daughter got her first deer--5 point buck! So far this year, we've bagged 3 total!

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Use to hunt three states to get enough tags, I've had years where I took over a dozen, but them days are gone. Just a few years ago I would put up 5 or 6 a year. Last year I put up a doe and a buck, this year I don't know if I even want to take a doe?

I really anymore am down to enjoying the time in the stand and watching all the neet chit that you only see in those conditions. I am slowly aging into looking for one with class, right now I been jonesing for a 130" or better 6 point. That is something I don't have and one that would be damn hard to find! But right now still got a little meat left from last year.

In reality I spent as much time this year with the Canon, as I have a bow, digital SLR that is! (y)

·
Vendor
828 Posts
One thing about working in the archery industry time to hunt sucks.. Anytime I have I try and make for my son, but I am looking forward to winter bow season in Jersey here.. I would be happy with one decent size deer to get ground up..

·
Registered
Kelowna, (aka, KTown) BC./ Swat!!! :)
2,288 Posts
I'm only after one beaut of a ****** buck now!!! It's gonna be him, or nothin!!!! Maybe a doe in the Dec season here, but that'll be just to keep the landowner grin'n!!!
I only care for the big boy!!!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
We put 11 deer in the freezer last season. I'm lucky to have a friend that loves to hunt, but can't eat venison. I tagged 3 myself, he donated 5, and a couple other friends gave me another 3. I would have trouble finding 25 pounds in the freezer now. My daughter's family and the wife and I love venison. I didn't realize just how much the grandkids like deer meat until I bought a package of beef for burgers last week. They wouldn't eat it. They said is was tough and tasted weird.

I haven't had any luck with the crossbow yet, but on tomorrow's gun opener the .270 will be a surprise to those that liked being just out of bow range. We have a lot of deer here. The wife and I have 12 tags between us. Good luck to all.

·
Registered
994 Posts
If I'm honest, and looking at my history, I should PLAN on zero, cause that's normally what I'm able to harvest! I always hope for more, of course. I hunt in two different states, my home state, and where I grew up in PA with my brothers. I normally purchase doe tags for two different areas in PA (2 brothers), which would provide the opportunity for up to 3 deer in PA (2 doe, 1 buck statewide), and I purchase the combo license in my home state, allowing up to 2 additional deer. So far, I've taken a total of zero home-state deer, but I've only hunted two seasons here. I'm more successful in PA, where one of my brothers really knows the land, we set up cameras and multiple treestands, and it's all on private land. Still.. I've only taken a max of 1 deer in any given year, due in part to my limited time in the woods, and also the buck-only mentality of the landowners who are generous enough to allow us access. Also, I only hunt xb and flintlock these days... kinda lost interest in modern rifles.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
FYI! I came very close to killing several with my truck as I was driving to hunt. Never know when they are going to jump the road. A couple of days ago I saw 5 dead on the road coming and going.

Reactions: TomOnTheRun

·
Registered
22 Posts
There have been seasons where I have been holding out for a mature buck, only to just barely fill a tag with a doe or a small buck in the last couple weeks. So for the last couple years I've been filling a tag or two early and then spent the rest of the time hunting older deer. Last season I harvested three. This year I've got two in the freezer.

My family is getting more accustomed to eating venison, plus I have a half dozen friends who'll gladly take what I give them. Like another person said, I think this is giving me more time in the woods to hone my skills.

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
If I get two I will be happy! That's about all my freezer will hold and I always have processed my own meat. We grill the backstrips/tenderloin, then grind the rest up into hamburger, breakfast sausage and Italian sausage. Going to be a busy day Friday processing the deer sitting on ice all week!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I would love 2-3 a year but these days a lot of people in my area of Michigan shoot as many deer as they can get tags for & give them away to hunters feeding the hungry which is a noble cause but now instead of having a dozen or more deer to hunt late season (when buck hunting on public is practically a waste of time) there is only 1-3 to hunt & I don't want to deplete the area of deer by finishing off what is left. There just aren't many mature bucks around here so I often end up going without any meat. So far this year looks to be one of those years my freezer will be empty.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts