Crossbow Nation banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Crossbow Nut
3,384 Posts
Be happy if I can get 1.
My 91 year old Mom's health, and work that needs done on the little hobby farm has severely limited hunting time. Maybe next week, but that's what I've been saying all season, but next week never seems to get here without some urgent thing popping up.

Reactions: robertyb

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
I have to admit after my last hunt my freezer is packed. I may only go just to get better in the woods. I sure don't need more meat. I typically am a one deer kill hunter a year. However, If I saw a trophy I'd take the shot and donate the food.
I have achieved my goal of taking one whitetail per crossbow, modern gun, and muzzleloader to qualify for my Triple Trophy Award from the state's Game Fish Commission. That is my 3rd consecutive year of accomplishing this feat aimed at balancing the deer herd. I find this more rewarding than focusing on large bucks. I will continue to hunt only moderately to stay involved thru this season but taking deer isn't always a goal as we all know.

20201030_133403.jpg

20201103_105619.jpg

·
2,232 Posts
Generally, I go for a big buck. If I get a clean shot at a doe or 5, I take them too. I have a lot of friends that love to eat but don't hunt.

·
Registered
9 Posts
6 deer + bow 1,shotgun1, muzzleloader1,rifle1,slug gun1handgun1 we are allowed 3 bucks and as many does as you want 2 per day. if we don't kill the numbers that the farmers want they shoot them in the summer want a waste!

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
I have till end of month to hunt. I would like to crossbow one more deer since the foul weather has gone.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Our deer are small in NJ. LOL
Last time I went to Jersey I shot six. A six point and five does.Butchered them up and deboned them and filled a hundred quart cooler with meat. That's the equivalent of a Quarter of a moose. Looking forward to getting back there when this Covid is brought under control....
23231488_1667320499979026_5265951760312386595_n.jpg
23380314_1672713046106438_3493814248406168508_n.jpg
23467139_1671649642879445_7794811283889982635_o.jpg

·
Registered
wicked ridge blackhawk 360
139 Posts
When my 2 kids were home we would eat at least 5 every year. Now I need 3 or 4. Kids and grandkids eating at Pa’s house don’t ya know. 😁

·
Registered
560 Posts
It's worked out to be about 4. I realized long ago, that I could hunt longer & kill more deer If I figured out who to give them to or where to donate one. That has become part of the enjoyment of hunting deer - getting one for somebody else, whether I know them of not.
No good. You only take what you need.

·
Registered
403 Posts
No good. You only take what you need.
Amusing....did you even notice that my number (4) is on the low side in this thread? I will have to take the opinions of the people who are happy to get & eat the deer I give them, over your selfish philosophy.

Fortunately, I've never deer hunted in a place that was really going to miss 2,3 or 4 deer. I've mostly hunted farm land with the farmer telling me 'kill them all, they're eating all my crops!'.

Providing 3-4 Deer to people in my community, for free, is No Good, because there is a deer shortage? God made them out of meat for a reason.

·
1,621 Posts
Wife and I consume 2 deer a year...Usually a buck and a doe. For a few years I saw more bucks than does, so took 2 bucks..Now this season saw the reverse,,so unless some old timer buck shows next Nov,,may be 2 doe..?..Getting them to the house and cutting them up is getting to be a job for this old guy,,so 2 are certainly enough...I also just hate more and more to kill them...Two kill experiences is also enough....

·
Registered
Kelowna, (aka, KTown) BC./ Swat!!! :)
2,288 Posts
Hard to know, since I'm only really wanting one of two, big boys from a local swamp that are very wise.......I let their 'kids' walk....

·
Registered
Scorpyd Aculeus 460, Excal paradox.
81 Posts
My family typically fills all 6 but usually around 5 of our tags and we only use crossbows because regulations have made just about any form of gun hunting pointless for my area. It's not that we're some amazing hunters, but it's just time in the bush and proper planning and we have our areas dialed in every year. Around a third of the meat ends up being given away and we typically have one meal of venison a day so most of it is gone by next season.

For the first 3 or so tags, if it's brown it's down. Those might be the only deer you see all season. Then we go for bucks from that point on. For our 5th or 6th tag we're looking for mature bucks.

We have a public bush that we typically take any deer we see from. Then a large private bush we have perms for that we let does and 2 year old bucks pass.

·
Registered
Centerpoint Sniper 370
24 Posts
I'm lucky if I avoid tag soup ha. Last season was rough because of COVID, a baby, and going back to school. I only got out a handful of times. Ideally I would take 2-3 deer depending on their size. I can kill three deer with a bundle license here in Indiana. I can buy additional doe tags and use depending on the county quota. I need to hit the woods harder during early archery. That's when the pressure is lowest around here and I probably have the best opportunities to put meat in the freezer. Then I can hold out for a nice buck.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts