Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
I always make sure my broadhead and shaft are in perfect alignment. Sometimes it's the broadhead thats causing the issue, and sometimes it's the face of the insert thats the issue. I use a combination of a G5 alignment tool and the technique shown in the video.

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

·
2,906 Posts
I use a spinner. I don’t (unless nothing else works), try to bend the broadhead to straighten it. I check every arrow/head combo and they must repeatedly hit the poa before they get a ride in the quiver.

·
Registered
938 Posts
This is just me, but I think that putting pressure on the broadhead as shown in the video is helping the alignment of the threads in the insert as opposed to bending the broadhead. I would like to think that it takes a lot more pressure to actually bend a BH.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
146 Posts
So I'm going to be totally honest since this is my first year using a crossbow and really getting into broadhead tuning but lets say your arrow doesn't spin true when you have the broadhead on, do you literally just try to put a little pressure on the head to get it right or is there a more defined plan you take? I really don't get how you have an arrow that doesn't spin true with a broadhead on and then you fix it?

·
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You do not use a whole lot of pressure, I would call it moderate. There is no way to bend most broadheads. All that you are doing is shifting the seating area against the face of the front insert.
Broadhead alignment will bring your groups in as well as get your broadhead point of impact closer to your field points, some will be right on the money. This is a very much overlooked concept.

Reactions: samt

·
Registered
938 Posts
... shifting the seating area against the face of the front insert.

Better put than my ... "alignment of threads inside the insert".

@Swamp Hunter, my process is to first use my G5 tool, or something similar, on every insert to make sure I start with a square insert face. Then as I screw in the broadhead, I will give it little wiggles as it screws in to help with the seating. Then spin test. Then if needed,, use a little side pressure as in the video. Then check and repeat. Very seldom does it require repetitive steps.

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
When I have an arrow that shoots fine with a group then when I switch them out to broadheads and one doesn't group like it used to, I then align everything up so it pulls itself back in with the others again. I like to keep it simple.

·
Registered
830 Posts
If it fails the spin test, it's out another in. If the second fails the spin test, the broadhead gets a good visual inspection, looking for the obvious chip, ding or dent. If nothing, broadhead is out. Typically cull one head out of a dozen, about the same with arrows.

·
11,439 Posts
That’s why I’ve preferred short bodied heads like RamCats and SlickTrick 4 blade cut on contact heads. Alignment/wobble problems minimized.
I’m currently using the long bodied RaptorTrick heads with my Ravin R26 and alignment problems are an occasional problem. I have to weigh that against liking the practice head that comes With them.

·
Registered
13,358 Posts
I do the spin test and if everything is OK then I'm good to go. If a broadhead wobbles I'll try another broadhead that works good in another arrow. If it still wobbles I try a different arrow from the arrow rack.

Reactions: Hunter 1945

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Yep. Everyone of my arrows has it's own broadhead that 1 of the 4 blades are inline with the cock vane. No labels. All my nocks are aligned by the string and, cock vane position in the barrel. So everything is repetitive. Pine Ridge arrow inspector works very well.

·
1,559 Posts
Once i switched to Ethics Archery inserts my insert problems were a thing of the past. They are the tightest fitting inserts i have ever seen. There so tight there's no room for hot melt glue. I use Goat tuff rubberized high impact glue.

Also plastic nocks are another problem. If a arrow starts misbehaving all most always i traced it back to a bad nock. That either was molded off or became deformed and it don't take much.

If i find a wobble ( that i have not since switching to the swat X mag) its traced back to a bent broadhead.

I buy Jerrys Tapps or Zombies and fletch weak side same side. Ethics stainless 110gr inserts use vantec 2"HD vanes helical. You might find this doesn't work for you. But it does out of my bow.

Because of the broadhead cut out in my riser. I do have to index to fit.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts