Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
5,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually put a level on my scopes (except for how the Mission level mounted) and with the narrow Ravin crossbows I would it would be paramount to keep the crossbow level.

Just wondering “how level” the Ravin level is when mounted? $50 is a lot for a level but it does seem rather necessary. Thanks.

·
Registered
431 Posts
As you know they are necessary. The Ravin one is pricy and hard to see when you need to see it. When I mounted mine it had to be shimmed on one side to get it level. I put a scope one on that I could use. Looks good for show and tell .:rolleyes:

·
Registered
10,850 Posts
I have one of these cheap ones on my R20 and it works just great and is extremely easy to see while looking through the scope.

·
Registered
54 Posts
If you have deep pockets go for it but it’s definitely over priced.
With my Sig scope it’s not needed at all

Reactions: robertyb

·
Registered
934 Posts
I use something just like Robert. However, I think that BigBird makes a level attachment that fits on the riser and can be seen when shooting without lifting your head, like you'd have to do with the Ravin level.

·
Registered
10,850 Posts
Did you miss the part where I can see mine while looking thru the scope? No lifting a head at all. To my way of thinking if you have to look away from the scope to see a level then it is useless as you could easily cant the bow while getting your eye aligned again.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Robert, no didn't miss that part, but my post was somewhat lacking in clarity. 😉.

Yes, the one that you and I use can be seen without lifting our head. But, because of where the Ravin level is mounted, it requires you to raise your head to see.

I think that the one that BB1 makes can be seen without lifting the head (I think??). Maybe BB1 will chime in to let us know for sure.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Thanks SamT. You and Robert both are such great members on CBN.
There are many good bubble level options out there and knowing Robert, he did his homework and found one that work great for him at a good price.
For me and my old eyes, I needed one that is not only in the right place for me but also needs to be extra large so I can see it in low light.
Since I can pretty much design and make about anything I need with a good quality 3D printer, I decided to make one for my old eyes.
I personally found I need it all the way to the left side of the riser since I'm right handed.
Here's a pic. below.
IMO, anyone considering a bubble level for a Ravin should place their eye centered in the scope and then look with their other eye to see where the level needs to be. Next, try it with low light where the scope reticles have to be illuminated. Try to determine how large the bubble needs to be to see it by maybe using something like a bullet level.

Like so many other things, it's all based on personal choice and/or your physical limitations.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,262 Posts
IMO, anyone considering a bubble level for a Ravin should place their eye centered in the scope and then look with their other eye to see where the level needs to be. Next, try it with low light where the scope reticles have to be illuminated. Try to determine how large the bubble needs to be to see it by maybe using something like a bullet level.
Like so many other things, it's all based on personal choice and/or your physical limitations.
Here's an idea for low light situations...
A tiny LR44-like battery with ON/OFF switch to drive a small LED light shining on top of the level to see the bubble.
I'm sure BigBird1 can print a little bracket for one (no not adding to your busy schedule, just food for thought :) ).
A small pot could be added for intensity adjustment.
Just a thought for us with old and/or tired eyes.

·
Banned
5,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)

Bill - how about a picture of just your level? I need you to make a list of all of your Ravin items so I can make one order and have one price for shipping. :p

I do like my scope mounted levels but the best one was on my Mission Dagger that was mounted way down on the left side of the riser. Easy to pick up and didn’t have to focus near/far back and forth all the time. Could not believe how accurate it was when installed.

I do have one like Robert’s and when I had it on I couldn’t believe how well it lined up with a level on the limbs.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I usually put a level on my scopes (except for how the Mission level mounted) and with the narrow Ravin crossbows I would it would be paramount to keep the crossbow level.

Just wondering “how level” the Ravin level is when mounted? $50 is a lot for a level but it does seem rather necessary. Thanks.
I use the level on my R9.
Used it on .R20 too when I had one.
I like the level.
You will need to check to see if it is level when installed.
Shim if necessary little bit.
I like that level better setup wise than what I have on my .R29.
R29 can’t use the same level in same place as earlier produced Ravin bow models.

·
Registered
10,850 Posts
Actually I don't know why I still have mine on my Ravin as I am shooting a Sig Sauer BDX scope with a built in lighted level. But when I shot my doe the other day I realized that I checked the Sig and then took a look at the side mount level also as I pulled the trigger. Habits are hard to break. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts