Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought an Excalibur Matrix GRZ2 that I now have about 75 shots into, but the center serving is starting to show some wear (may need to polish the trigger latch). I enjoy target shooting the bow and plan on shooting it at least 200 times a week. I maintain my xbow according to the Excalibur owner's manual.

I want to learn how to reserve the string myself, and was wondering how much it would cost. It seems a decent spool of serving costs about $25-30, but I've never done this before so I have no idea how many times I could reserve before the spool runs out. Anyone have any idea how often I would have to reserve my xbow, as well as how much it would cost?

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I recently bought an Excalibur Matrix GRZ2 that I now have about 75 shots into, but the center serving is starting to show some wear (may need to polish the trigger latch). I enjoy target shooting the bow and plan on shooting it at least 200 times a week. I maintain my xbow according to the Excalibur owner's manual.

I want to learn how to reserve the string myself, and was wondering how much it would cost. It seems a decent spool of serving costs about $25-30, but I've never done this before so I have no idea how many times I could reserve before the spool runs out. Anyone have any idea how often I would have to reserve my xbow, as well as how much it would cost?
I would say reserve 1 time then discard string. They become used n abused through the shooting process of hundreds of shots

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would say reserve 1 time then discard string. They become used n abused through the shooting process of hundreds of shots
Really? I thought strings could handle upwards of 1000 shots.

Could I possibly take advantage of ABB's one year "hassle-free" warranty on serving fraying? It seems they don't specify how much you're allowed to shoot in that year.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Could I possibly take advantage of ABB's one year "hassle-free" warranty on serving fraying? It seems they don't specify how much you're allowed to shoot in that year.
separation* not fraying

·
Registered
470 Posts
My first blacktail string has now shot almost double what I got with my Excalibur before I had to be reserved. And blacktail string/ serving is still looking great. I now have well over a hundred shots on that string on my bd400.

·
Registered
13,347 Posts
I bought 3 Flemish strings from blacktail way back when (2012). Great strings and will do it again when needed. I stretched all three by putting on the string, cocking the bow, and hanging it on a hook for 2 or 3 days for each string. Now when using one of the strings I will randomly swap ends of the string on the bow. After one season I will rotate the strings out. (I don't shoot a lot...maybe a couple hundred shots per year.) I ALWAYS keep 'em waxed good (not the servings...nothing there) AND I keep a drop of super glue on all the ends of the servings. Works for me.

Do a search about polishing latches. Surprisingly it isn't hard at all getting a trigger out of a bow (U-tube it). The latches are right there in front of you so polishing would be very simple.;)

·
Registered
10,900 Posts

I have been shooting one of Mike's (Blacktail) strings for 2-3 years now trying to wear it out. I do not keep count of my shots but I am sure it has way over a 1000 shots on it. The string and serving still looks good. I assure you his strings cost way less than a string from ABB.

·
Registered
9,365 Posts

You can send your trigger into Excalibur/Danny miller and he will do a good job of polishing the latches for free/warranty.He also sells Angel Majesty .036 center serving which is about the best you can get imo for about $20 -$25.Enough to reserve at least 20 strings. I've got strings with well over 1000 shots.A serving will last 700 shots if not more if served tight and kept clean etc.

Here's a link.It will show you how to make a serving jig .Its not that hard and not that expensive. http://boocustomstrings.com/importantstuff.html

Here's a link on how to do a center serving.http://www.crossbow-review.com/TechCorner/Don_P1.htm

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I retired a Micro string after 700 shots on the 1st serving. I could still swap it over n get another 500-700 shots. Its not the serving i worry about its the material after the high poundage n leaving it cocked all through 4 months of tick toter season

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Thanks everyone for the help.

Blacktail, how may I go about purchasing one of your strings--they seem to have an impressive reputation on here.
You have a pm

Reactions: Liam

·
4,778 Posts
My strings are from Mike (Blacktail) and Boo (Don K).
My latches on all my xbows (M380/405, BD400)are TT, modified and polished by TT to Boo’s preferred shape.
All these strings go over 1,000 shots. The prestretching and tight servings as well as the materials used combine to make extremely durable strings. I’ll often shoot 100-200 shots at 1 setting.
However, when I recently sent in limbs & risers for replacement, Danny Miller sent me some “factory” strings.
They are a significant upgrade from “factory “ strings of the past.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts