Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My nephew says he is a 3 YO and I am saying at least a 4 YO. He is wanting me to pass on him if I get a chance as "he needs another year." I probably would anyway as I have several racks better than his. We both know that anyone else that sees him will probably shoot him.
I think he noticed that old red glow camera for certain. :)

·
Registered
544 Posts
Free range Southern deer are very difficult to age in my opinion. I think Y'all are correct in saying he's either 3.5 or 4.5 but...
I've had deer on my place that were easily identifiable by distinct marking that I was able to follow over a number of years. Some never grew large bodies or developed racks beyond small basket racks. I had one buck in particular I named Nacho because he had a very distinctive notch in his left ear as a button buck. I could show you a photo of Nacho as a 4.5 year old and you would swear it was a photo of a 2.5 year old.
Your deer appears to be in fine shape and he would probably grow a larger rack next year given the chance. If that deer walked by me I would be sending a broadhead tipped arrow his way.

Reactions: dynamo61 and Yelpy

·
Registered
10,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If he had walked by me before I saw the video he might well have died too. I reserve my options until after I get a chance to see them in person usually. :)
I totally agree with you on ageing southern deer. My nephew killed one 2 years ago that we both guessed at 4 1/2 before we even moved him. His teeth and a biologist from DNR said he was actually 6 1/2 yo.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I would say 3 1/2-4 1/2 in the area of GA i live. If you are southern Ga i would probably say no more than 3 1/2. The nutrition in the farm lands is better than the brouse in midwest Ga.

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
I'd say he's...…..old enough!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Choot 'em Lizzy!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I would say put him in the freezer. I shot a buck that had a small rack and dressed at 215 Very big for CT. At check station DEP worker said he had only a few teeth left and was 7 yrs old and at end of hi life.

·
2,733 Posts
He is as old as he is going to get if he stepped out in front of my blind. 3 year old

·
1,338 Posts
Watching it again I'd stress the 3 yrs for my area anyway, Here in S Iowa. At 4 yrs here they really get a bulky chest. That deer is still a bit sleek.

·
Registered
108 Posts
My guess would 3 1/2 - a very nice buck but still very sleek looking. indicators of fully mature and older I usually look for are - sway back, old-man belly, bigger hips, deeper chest and shoulders, looser skin around the eyes and face, length of face, blocky head, Roman nose.

Here a pic of 7 1/2 - 8 1/2 year old that I took in Texas a few years back.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
3.5 yo

·
Registered
10,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I mentioned up in post #5 about a buck that turned out to be 6 1/2 YO that my nephew killed according to getting his teeth aged. I found a pic of him with his deer. I thought he was a 4 1/2 YO for certain. Bucks around here don't get huge bodies.

·
Registered
108 Posts
You’re right Robert, it’s all relative. Suppose that deer would stand out if standing among a group of bucks from that area. It’s also pretty tough to tell from the shadows in that picture.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts