Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the 20 dialed in good. Went back to 30 and it’s 1” low. Using the lumix speedring scope. I noticed in the scope manual it says if shooting a fast crossbow experiment starting at 30. On this scope it has a triangle for the 20&30. Top for 20, bottom for 30. Shot several times to confirm it wasn’t me. Using a steady comfortable rest, squeezing the trigger slowly making sure I’m not jerking. I mean it’s a dead deer but I’d like to be better than that. Also only using one arrow. Thoughts? Thank you for any tips you might have. Shooting the KI Ripper 415 with carbon express mayhem arrow.

·
Registered
13,922 Posts
Ive never shot the mayhem arrows but at 20 and 30 yards you should be stacking 'em in the bull off a good solid rest as long s you are doing your part right. Out of all your arrows have you tried any other arrow beside that one?!?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ive never shot the mayhem arrows but at 20 and 30 yards you should be stacking 'em in the bull off a good solid rest as long s you are doing your part right. Out of all your arrows have you tried any other arrow beside that one?!?
No, not yet. I will. I’m using a Caldwell rest, not the lead sled but the tripod type that has the bean bag on top. The rear using a Caldwell bag. I’m making sure I’m stable and the bow is level. It could very well be me but don’t think so. Could be the arrows. Might need to start at 30. I have the hurricane bag rated for 520 FPS and twice the arrows have buried the fletching into the middle of the target.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Had the 20 dialed in good. Went back to 30 and it’s 1” low. Using the lumix speedring scope. I noticed in the scope manual it says if shooting a fast crossbow experiment starting at 30. On this scope it has a triangle for the 20&30. Top for 20, bottom for 30. Shot several times to confirm it wasn’t me. Using a steady comfortable rest, squeezing the trigger slowly making sure I’m not jerking. I mean it’s a dead deer but I’d like to be better than that. Also only using one arrow. Thoughts? Thank you for any tips you might have. Shooting the KI Ripper 415 with carbon express mayhem arrow.
It is likely the scope. I tried 2 of them then returned because of poor quality glass and focus. Next I bought the Hawk XB30 Compact 1.5-6x36 mm that opened my accuracy dreams. Now I have the scope dailed to 5.3X where it's on thru out the scope range.

For my steady rest I use a lead sled mounted to my own designed custom bench. The secret is eliminating all movement/wiggle. Then developing a consistent technique that produces accurate results is required. The arrows must be closely matched to lower the variance.
I have a video if you are interested.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is likely the scope. I tried 2 of them then returned because of poor quality glass and focus. Next I bought the Hawk XB30 Compact 1.5-6x36 mm that opened my accuracy dreams. Now I have the scope dailed to 5.3X where it's on thru out the scope range.

For my steady rest I use a lead sled mounted to my own designed custom bench. The secret is eliminating all movement/wiggle. Then developing a consistent technique that produces accurate results is required. The arrows must be closely matched to lower the variance.
I have a video if you are interested.
Sure, send it to me. This is the bench I’m using. It’s actually out of an old Burger King. My boss gave it to me. Solid as a rock with swiveling seats. I added cardboard and a 3/4” piece of plywood on top to put my rests on so it’s the perfect height.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Try lowering your speed ring at 30yards after zeoroing scope at twenty yards with your turrets.
See now that was one thing I’m wondering. The 20 and 30 yds share the same triangle (aiming point). Top of triangle 20 yds, the bottom 30 yds. That’s what is throwing me off. My thinking is the triangle is (the) crosshair for which you adjust the turrets. But if the triangle is the crosshair sharing 20 and 30 yard aiming points only one of those points could be adjusted using the turrets. So what you’re saying makes sense then. I’ll get the 20 ya dead on then use the speedring to get the 30 on. Weird because I’ve never used crosshairs like this.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had a ripper. 401 fps with 400 gn if that helps with speed.
thanks, my mayhems are 447 grain and the speedring is set at 380. I have 125 gr points on the factory HYPR arrows and they’re right at 416 grains. Haven’t shot them yet but might try tomorrow.

·
Registered
6,039 Posts
As you’re pulling the trigger, is your focus on the target or the reticle?

Reactions: Joel11230

·
Registered
9,654 Posts
The bottom of the triangle is not the 30 yard aiming point.Its the dot at the bottom of the circle. I just went and looked at mine. Set your 20 at the point of the triangle dead on. Then shoot at 30 with the dot. If your speed dial is set too high your poi will be low. If its set too low you poi will be high. Then just adjust the speed dial from there. Some skip to 40 and adjust from there. I always do 30 first with these type of scopes.

Your bow I'd guess should be around 390. I was getting 380-383fps with a 450gn arrow out of my Ripper. The speed dials dont always line up right either. It might say 390 on the scope buts its actually set at 380. It will still work correctly its just the numbers are off. I have a couple of scopes that are way off. I have one that the numbers say its set 280 and the bow shoots 320 on the chronograph and its accurate and works fine. The speed numbers should at least get you close. Heck they may be dead on. Just dont be surprised if their not. Just adjust the dial as needed.

·
Registered
9,654 Posts
Also I think those numbers on the pic above are wrong. But I could be wrong I think the 100 yard pin is the bottom of the last vertical hash mark if you count down.I've seen several scopes like that. My scope doesn't have numbers on the side like that inside for the yardages either. I used that next dot down for 30 and it worked fine.I cant remember if I shot it at 40 or not. Mine was damaged from shipping and some glass came loose inside of it so I didn't shoot it a lot. They sent me a new one and its still in the package. Good luck which ever way you try.

Reactions: samt and Joel11230

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
View attachment 193361
Sure, send it to me. This is the bench I’m using. It’s actually out of an old Burger King. My boss gave it to me. Solid as a rock with swiveling seats. I added cardboard and a 3/4” piece of plywood on top to put my rests on so it’s the perfect height.
That is an awesome bench that served a lot burgers to some fine folks. My bench was built from the ground up. I tried several ideas then bought a pair of legs online. From that I went through several fine tuning with bracing plus lots of screws. I achieved a portable bench that was light compact, rigid, proper height, with quick adjustable rear height for sled. It's used for all my weapons.

20180814_124037.jpg
20180730_125321.jpg

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The bottom of the triangle is not the 30 yard aiming point.Its the dot at the bottom of the circle. I just went and looked at mine. Set your 20 at the point of the triangle dead on. Then shoot at 30 with the dot. If your speed dial is set too high your poi will be low. If its set too low you poi will be high. Then just adjust the speed dial from there. Some skip to 40 and adjust from there. I always do 30 first with these type of scopes.

Your bow I'd guess should be around 390. I was getting 380-383fps with a 450gn arrow out of my Ripper. The speed dials dont always line up right either. It might say 390 on the scope buts its actually set at 380. It will still work correctly its just the numbers are off. I have a couple of scopes that are way off. I have one that the numbers say its set 280 and the bow shoots 320 on the chronograph and its accurate and works fine. The speed numbers should at least get you close. Heck they may be dead on. Just dont be surprised if their not. Just adjust the dial as needed.
Really? The dot below the triangle is 30? Makes sense to me too so the picture showing aiming points is wrong then.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I dunno. I always freehand shoot--never use a rest--and I use a non-magnified red dot scope, a cheap crossbow and inexpensive arrows. I shoot exclusively at 50 yards. I never hunt. Out of 45 shots, about 9 will hit a tennis ball size circle, another 15 will hit a softball size circle and the rest fall in the volley ball sized circle range. I've been shooting crossbows for less than a year.

This is what I concentrate on when shooting-- in order:

1: wide stance
2. Finger placement on trigger
3. pressing to shoulder tight, keeping lightness of trigger hand
3. breath control
5. target acquisition

I sighted the thing in at 30 yards---so my three red dots are set for 30, 40, 50. Most of my vanes are crooked and I shoot my arrows until they break i.e. the tips or nocks bust off. (my arrows cost $32 for a dozen) I use bullet head tips.

The best advice I could give is---PRACTICE A LOT!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I dunno. I always freehand shoot--never use a rest--and I use a non-magnified red dot scope, a cheap crossbow and inexpensive arrows. I shoot exclusively at 50 yards. I never hunt. Out of 45 shots, about 9 will hit a tennis ball size circle, another 15 will hit a softball size circle and the rest fall in the volley ball sized circle range. I've been shooting crossbows for less than a year.

This is what I concentrate on when shooting-- in order:

1: wide stance
2. Finger placement on trigger
3. pressing to shoulder tight, keeping lightness of trigger hand
3. breath control
5. target acquisition

I sighted the thing in at 30 yards---so my three red dots are set for 30, 40, 50. Most of my vanes are crooked and I shoot my arrows until they break i.e. the tips or nocks bust off. (my arrows cost $32 for a dozen) I use bullet head tips.

The best advice I could give is---PRACTICE A LOT!
Yes sir, I’m new to crossbows so I’ve got a lot of practicing to do.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts