Crossbow Nation banner

21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
9,650 Posts
Really? The dot below the triangle is 30? Makes sense to me too so the picture showing aiming points is wrong then.
I believe it is Joel. That dot looks a lot closer to the triangle in my scope then it does it that pic as well. Like I said I could be wrong. Thats how I had set mine up though. I don't remember seeing that picture with mine.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I believe it is Joel. That dot looks a lot closer to the triangle in my scope then it does it that pic as well. Like I said I could be wrong. Thats how I had set mine up though. I don't remember seeing that picture with mine.
Yea the dot is a lot closer to the triangle on mine as well than what the picture shows.

·
Registered
9,650 Posts
Yea the dot is a lot closer to the triangle on mine as well than what the picture shows.
With mine set at 390 fps that triangle isn't much bigger than 1" top to bottom at 20 yards. The Ripper shoots pretty flat but your arrow is going to drop probably 2.5 - 3" between 20 and 30 yards depending on arrow weight of coarse. Maybe if it was dialed up to 450 fps the triange would work but I dont think thats how it was designed. Bad directions/pic imo

·
Registered
91 Posts
With mine set at 390 fps that triangle isn't much bigger than 1" top to bottom at 20 yards. The Ripper shoots pretty flat but your arrow is going to drop probably 2.5 - 3" between 20 and 30 yards depending on arrow weight of coarse. Maybe if it was dialed up to 450 fps the triange would work but I dont think thats how it was designed. Bad directions/pic imo
I sent you a PM.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Had the 20 dialed in good. Went back to 30 and it’s 1” low. Using the lumix speedring scope. I noticed in the scope manual it says if shooting a fast crossbow experiment starting at 30. On this scope it has a triangle for the 20&30. Top for 20, bottom for 30. Shot several times to confirm it wasn’t me. Using a steady comfortable rest, squeezing the trigger slowly making sure I’m not jerking. I mean it’s a dead deer but I’d like to be better than that. Also only using one arrow. Thoughts? Thank you for any tips you might have. Shooting the KI Ripper 415 with carbon express mayhem arrow.
Joel,
Do you use a bubble level to minimize canting errors while target shooting?
Did you check for loose parts thru out you Ripper? It's a good strategy to apply blue thread lock on screw threads.
One area for potential loose screws which could be overlooked is the scope rack mounting plate. These are located under the trigger assembly. If these are loose the scope will have slight movement.

Reactions: Joel11230

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Joel,
Do you use a bubble level to minimize canting errors while target shooting?
Did you check for loose parts thru out you Ripper? It's a good strategy to apply blue thread lock on screw threads.
One area for potential loose screws which could be overlooked is the scope rack mounting plate. These are located under the trigger assembly. If these are loose the scope will have slight movement.
I did check screws and the riser bolt. Everything was tight but I’ll have to look at the scope mount screws if I haven’t already. Yea I’m using a level to make sure bow is the same every time.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I never could get consistent results from the KI lumix scope so I replaced it with a Ravin take off scope from Wyvern.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Man I appreciate all of the input guys. I think I just need to get practice time and get this scope figured out.
Good thought! When I tried that particular scope the design of the reticle didn't suit my eye. I like the thin crosshairs that don't brock the target detail versus those that cover detail.
Good luck!

·
Registered
66 Posts
The bottom of the triangle is not the 30 yard aiming point.Its the dot at the bottom of the circle. I just went and looked at mine. Set your 20 at the point of the triangle dead on. Then shoot at 30 with the dot. If your speed dial is set too high your poi will be low. If its set too low you poi will be high. Then just adjust the speed dial from there. Some skip to 40 and adjust from there. I always do 30 first with these type of scopes.

Your bow I'd guess should be around 390. I was getting 380-383fps with a 450gn arrow out of my Ripper. The speed dials dont always line up right either. It might say 390 on the scope buts its actually set at 380. It will still work correctly its just the numbers are off. I have a couple of scopes that are way off. I have one that the numbers say its set 280 and the bow shoots 320 on the chronograph and its accurate and works fine. The speed numbers should at least get you close. Heck they may be dead on. Just dont be surprised if their not. Just adjust the dial as needed.
Look at his reticle again ,
As I see the bottom of the circle as a 40 yard mark. Count out the graduations.

·
Registered
9,650 Posts
Look at his reticle again ,
As I see the bottom of the circle as a 40 yard mark. Count out the graduations.
Its not like that on the actual scope though.No numbers inside. I did count down. The bottom of last vertical hash mark is the 100yard aim point imo. Also the triangle and first dot down down are a lot closer than in the pic.

·
Registered
6,374 Posts
Had the 20 dialed in good. Went back to 30 and it’s 1” low. Using the lumix speedring scope. I noticed in the scope manual it says if shooting a fast crossbow experiment starting at 30. On this scope it has a triangle for the 20&30. Top for 20, bottom for 30. Shot several times to confirm it wasn’t me. Using a steady comfortable rest, squeezing the trigger slowly making sure I’m not jerking. I mean it’s a dead deer but I’d like to be better than that. Also only using one arrow. Thoughts? Thank you for any tips you might have. Shooting the KI Ripper 415 with carbon express mayhem arrow.
Some gents are using up to 7-9x on their scopes. Hang in there. It's a process. I'm around 4X on my speed scope.

·
Registered
9,650 Posts
Ok I went and took some pics of this scopes retical. The target is at 20 yards The speed dial is set at 390fps The red dot next to the triangle is 3/4" nickle size. The blue spot about the same size is roughly only 2" from the top of the triangle to the bottom of the blue spot. About the amount of drop your arrow will have between 20 and 30 yards at 390 fps give or take. This is why I believe the first dot is the 30 yard aiming point.

20210223_163607.jpg

There is no guarantee the speed dial is dead on either speed/magnification wise.
20210223_163757.jpg
20210223_164057.jpg

Here's a pic of my Hawke XB1.5-5 Same magnification as the Lumix scope. Its set at 385 fps just a little slower. Notice how the dots line up with the cross hairs. Almost identical.
20210223_164647.jpg

The bottom of the post below the 90 yard ret imo is the 100 aiming point imo
20210223_163635.jpg

Just my 2 cents but it worked for me this way. If you were to use the bottom of the triangle as the aiming point for 30 yards your arrow is only dropping 3/4" between 20 and 30 at 390 fps which is way off. Maybe 450 fps.

Sounds like your doing everything right Joel. Just bad directions on how to use that scope imo.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Ok I went and took some pics of this scopes retical. The target is at 20 yards The speed dial is set at 390fps The red dot next to the triangle is 3/4" nickle size. The blue spot about the same size is roughly only 2" from the top of the triangle to the bottom of the blue spot. About the amount of drop your arrow will have between 20 and 30 yards at 390 fps give or take. This is why I believe the first dot is the 30 yard aiming point.

View attachment 193413

There is no guarantee the speed dial is dead on either speed/magnification wise.
View attachment 193415 View attachment 193416

Here's a pic of my Hawke XB1.5-5 Same magnification as the Lumix scope. Its set at 385 fps just a little slower. Notice how the dots line up with the cross hairs. Almost identical. View attachment 193418

The bottom of the post below the 90 yard ret imo is the 100 aiming point imo View attachment 193420

Just my 2 cents but it worked for me this way. If you were to use the bottom of the triangle as the aiming point for 30 yards your arrow is only dropping 3/4" between 20 and 30 at 390 fps which is way off. Maybe 450 fps.

Sounds like your doing everything right Joel. Just bad directions on how to use that scope imo.
Ok, I just verified my 20 yd using the top of the triangle. It’s dead on, shot 3 times using the same arrow and I would of robinhooded if I’d a been using more than one arrow (if they were identical). So yesterday I was dead on at 20. Shot at 30 using the bottom of the triangle and was 1” low (which is what the KI manual said to do). The manual also says to experiment if using a fast crossbow just to clarify. Weather permitting I’m going to shoot at 30 using the bottom triangle then the first dot. I’ll report my outcome. I’m not giving up on this scope. I’ll figure it out. I do like the blue illumination in low light. Makes the target easy to see.

·
Registered
Backinda woods of Maine
596 Posts
Joel one thing I learned that helped my accuracy a lot was to shoot with both eyes open. For me to do that I put my right eye to the scope let it focus then open the left. Cool thing is if I do it perfectly I can see the arrow streaking towards the target. The arrow will appear to be dropping out of the sky. It doesn't work for everyone but give it a try.
Good luck
Oncebitten

·
Registered
9,650 Posts
S
Ok, I just verified my 20 yd using the top of the triangle. It’s dead on, shot 3 times using the same arrow and I would of robinhooded if I’d a been using more than one arrow (if they were identical). So yesterday I was dead on at 20. Shot at 30 using the bottom of the triangle and was 1” low (which is what the KI manual said to do). The manual also says to experiment if using a fast crossbow just to clarify. Weather permitting I’m going to shoot at 30 using the bottom triangle then the first dot. I’ll report my outcome. I’m not giving up on this scope. I’ll figure it out. I do like the blue illumination in low light. Makes the target easy to see.
I'd throw the manual in the trash lol! If you use that first dot and adjust the dial you should be good unless the scope is bad. I'd set the dial at 390 using that 416gn arrow and adjust from there.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
S

I'd throw the manual in the trash lol! If you use that first dot and adjust the dial you should be good unless the scope is bad. I'd set the dial at 390 using that 416gn arrow and adjust from there.
The arrow I’m using is 447 grains carbon express mayhem. The KI HYPR arrows are 416, I put 125 grain tip on them. In your opinion is 416 sufficient using the ripper? I’d like to shoot them but all I hear is use heavier arrows.

·
Registered
9,650 Posts
The arrow I’m using is 447 grains carbon express mayhem. The KI HYPR arrows are 416, I put 125 grain tip on them. In your opinion is 416 sufficient using the ripper? I’d like to shoot them but all I hear is use heavier arrows.
They both should be safe but the heavier arrow would be better for the bow and may shoot better. I'm not fan of either the KI Hyper arrows or the CE arrows I have tried. I haven't tried the Mayhems.

I shot 450 gn arrows out of mine at 380-383 fps if I remember right. So you should be good starting out with the speed dial on 380

21 - 40 of 72 Posts