Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can I permanently get these devils out of my wooden tower stands? We’ve got up there and sprayed the crap out of their small nests but they just come back and not to mention I’m not totally confident we got all the little nests since they can be under every little opening. I found these online but not sure how good they work. I don’t really mind them flying around when I’m hunting as long as there’s not a nest where I’m sitting cuz then they will actually sting me.

Saw this video online where a guy basically dropped a bomb in the stand and came back and they were all dead but can’t seem to find what he used onlinehttps://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DlAUXTSoLYc

·
Registered
13,224 Posts
DEFINITELY don't buy those. They ATTRACT wasps! I'd use wasp spray this time of the year. They are more than likely done building nests now. Next spring will be a different story though.

Reactions: Swamp Hunter 92NC

·
Registered
155 Posts
You need wasp traps set in spring, capture and kill the queen and you're free and clear for the rest of the year. Place a few traps 20+yds from where you'll be as soon as the leaves start popping and should be good. I've always found proactive preventative measures to work much better when dealing with insects than reactive management after they've become a problem. Insects are hardy and prolific.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I used to use bug bombs when I hunted tower stands. They work pretty good. Sometimes you have to bomb 2 or 3 times depending on how much of a tight seal the stand has. I have a few bombs at the house yet. Bought them at walmart.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I let a bomb off in my camper trailer yesterday that I'm sure woulda worked for ya!! Just gotta inhale a can of beans and let nature takes it's coarse!!!!.....
No doubt a good thing for get'n rid of whatever, or whoever! Unwanted females, rotten kids, dogs, cats......

·
Registered
19 Posts
Take a brown paper bag fill it with newspaper or plastic grocery bags. Tie it close and hang it very close by, preferably somewhere it cannot get wet. Apparently they think it's a hornet nest and stay away. I've been doing this for several years on my front porch, back deck and in my storage building. It has dramatically reduced the number of nests. I didn't believe it when an elderly man I know told me to try it. I did and they left the nest within a week. Not 100% effective but it does seem to help.
Like this

·
Registered
446 Posts
I have often seen simple traps quite successful, which are basically a sugar-water filled container with narrow entry.
Like a plastic bottle.

Or try that ;) :

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I used to use bug bombs when I hunted tower stands. They work pretty good. Sometimes you have to bomb 2 or 3 times depending on how much of a tight seal the stand has. I have a few bombs at the house yet. Bought them at walmart.
All of our tower stands aren't enclosed so I wonder if they would still work, all the windows are open

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You need wasp traps set in spring, capture and kill the queen and you're free and clear for the rest of the year. Place a few traps 20+yds from where you'll be as soon as the leaves start popping and should be good. I've always found proactive preventative measures to work much better when dealing with insects than reactive management after they've become a problem. Insects are hardy and prolific.
That's a good point, maybe during turkey season I could pop into a couple stands I might want to bow hunt and put a wasp trap in there since they last for a couple months.

·
Registered
10,410 Posts
I used to hunt a property that had 7 shooting houses erected and I would just get a can of wasp and hornet spray at Walmart a week or two before opening day and go by and spray the nests in each house. The wasps would all be dead when the season opened. One year I forgot to spray one and I hunted it on opening morning. I got in before first light and as it started to get light they started buzzing and flying all around and even lighting on me so I carefully eased out the door and ground hunted that morning. Don't know to this day how I did not get stung as I had several crawling on me. It got sprayed that afternoon. :)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I used to hunt a property that had 7 shooting houses erected and I would just get a can of wasp and hornet spray at Walmart a week or two before opening day and go by and spray the nests in each house. The wasps would all be dead when the season opened. One year I forgot to spray one and I hunted it on opening morning. I got in before first light and as it started to get light they started buzzing and flying all around and even lighting on me so I carefully eased out the door and ground hunted that morning. Don't know to this day how I did not get stung as I had several crawling on me. It got sprayed that afternoon. :)
Lol I've definitely done this before, I always carry a can of wasp spray in my backpack and some permethrin

·
Registered
68 Posts
Wasps are bad in our shooting houses all through the season in S Alabama. We use spray and bug bombs but have to stay on it. I've been stung many times and our shooting house floors are typically 1/2 inch deep in dead wasps. One thing to be aware of if you have plexiglass windows in your shooting houses, don't get wasp spray on them as it etches the plexiglass. For some reason bug bombs don't etch plexiglass, not sure why except maybe they contain different solvents - I haven't checked the labels but will do this fall.

·
Registered
10,410 Posts
Wasps are bad in our shooting houses all through the season in S Alabama. We use spray and bug bombs but have to stay on it. I've been stung many times and our shooting house floors are typically 1/2 inch deep in dead wasps. One thing to be aware of if you have plexiglass windows in your shooting houses, don't get wasp spray on them as it etches the plexiglass. For some reason bug bombs don't etch plexiglass, not sure why except maybe they contain different solvents - I haven't checked the labels but will do this fall.
The trick is to just leave them alone until about a week before the season starts and then kill them all at once instead of trying to keep up with them over the summer months.

·
Registered
533 Posts
The trick is to just leave them alone until about a week before the season starts and then kill them all at once instead of trying to keep up with them over the summer months.
That's the method I use too, robertyb.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I wish that would work in S Alabama. They repopulate the shooting houses after killing them every couple of weeks after the season starts in mid October all the way to the end in mid February.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Hang no pest strips (with Vapona as the AI) in the houses a couple of weeks before the season starts. Be sure to remove them when you go inside so as not to breathe the vapors.

·
Registered
34 Posts
We have used cattle insecticide ear tags for years. Cheaper than no pest strips. You can get them at TSC or Gebo's. Hang a one in a couple of corners.
Hey bugsNbows...I have a buddy that uses those strips, but cuts them in 1/2 or 1/3's. Says they work the same but odor is not so strong. FYI

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That would likely be fine. The strips are sized for cubic foot areas. Most blinds would be under that recommended area.
Do you have a link to what you use? Don’t they attract the bees and then kill them tho so I couldn’t have them hanging while I’m hunting right?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts