Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning fellas...

I recently purchased a TenPoint WickedRidge RDX 400 for myself and this past weekend purchased a used but in excellent condition Excalibur Matrix 380 for my teenage son. The arrows that came with with the wickedridge package were 20" XX75 aluminum and certainly not what I want. Accuracy on them is not very good. Aluminum won't be stiff enough or stay straight after a while.

My son's Matrix 380 came with 18" Diablo arrows. The arrow only weighs 356 grains ( my Lyman scale) with a 100 grain field tip. A 125 grain tip yields 381 grains. The manufacturer quotes 350 grains as a minimum for the matrix. I feel these are very light also.

After reading so many posts by experienced crossbow shooters and hunter it seems custom arrows with the right FOC is crucial to accuracy and the total weight is also critical and offers better kinetic energy on deer.

So...I want to get decent speed, good FOC, great penetration and superb accuracy! As a reloader, I strive for accuracy whether it be rifle or bow.

It seems South Shore Archery gets quite a bit of great reviews and recommendation from a lot of guys. They say Jerry is the master at custom arrows for crossbows. I went to the website and the options are many. I noticed Black Eagle Zombie Slayers being mentioned many times for stiffness, accuracy and KE.

How do I choose the best parts to design the proper arrow for each one of our crossbows?
Checking the custom arrow page on their site, it has many component options and being honest, I'm so darn new at crossbow hunting and shooting that knowing the best combination of parts to create the perfect arrow is not my forte!

Can you with the greater level of experience and knowledge please give me some pointers before I go making an expensive mistake ordering something that won't be a good choice. Spending $160-200 on a set of custom arrows per bow is expensive...I don't want to mess this up and eat that expense!!

Thanks for your patience in my long post... I figured more detail helps me get more info!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Give Jerry a call and talk to him personally. He'll walk you through the process and won't try to sell you anything you don't need...
Its funny you say that... I just got off the phone with Jerry! He responded to my email after I posted this question. He's a very kind man and explained clearly our arrow needs and why.

My big decision now is Zombie Slayers or Spynal Tapp arrows??? The Spynal Tapps come with an accuracy guarantee to be replaced if they don't shoot a tight group at 40-50 yards. Zombies are a $1 cheaper and still and outstanding choice as per Jerry. My son and I are deer hunters. No competitive long range shooting like 3D.
I assume the Zombie Slayers would easily fit our needs...yes?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks gents for your time and information. I did in fact call Jerry this morning at SSA and we spoke in detail regarding the best bolts for my son and my new crossbows.
Jerry was very patient with me and my questions as being a newbie to crossbow means I don't know much! HA Ha!
He walked me through the best arrows for each type of crossbow we own and why. Jerry gave me each particular detail to use when choosing from the custom build menu. I had no trouble going down the order form and selecting the necessary choices based on Jerry's advice.

I ordered 6 Spynal Tapp arrows for myself and 6 Zombie Slayers for my son. If he stays involved and moves on further, I can always buy him better or more. You know teens...lovin' it today, done with it next week!

Can't wait until they arrive and we can bench rest the bows and sight them in. I'll keep you posted with pics and a follow up.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for sharing this!!! I think I may just have to order some up for my new Swat. Which I pickup tomorrow from the post office!!!
You call Jerry at south Shore Archery and tell him what crossbow you're shooting and tell him you need help choosing the best custom arrow for your bow and the man starts by picking a shaft and explaining why, a nock and then why, fletching and why etc. He knows his materials, weights and offsets and inserts and they just flow off of his tongue as he moves down the list. The guy is one savvy arrow master!

Reactions: KTownKiller

·
Registered
Kelowna, (aka, KTown) BC./ Swat!!! :)
3,267 Posts
Thanks, but SEW has already worked out the best meds for his two Swats with a crap load of testing! I'll probably just follow what he's dope'n his babies with! He's the Swat master 'round here, FYI.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, but SEW has already worked out the best meds for his two Swats with a crap load of testing! I'll probably just follow what he's dope'n his babies with! He's the Swat master 'round here, FYI.
Don't know who SEW is but that's because I'm a newbie to this site. Glad there's a master in the house...always good to have a go to guru when you need one! Good luck!!!

Reactions: KTownKiller

·
6,273 Posts
This is what I shoot. 22” Spynal Tapps, ST280 vanes in offset, plastic flat nocks for SWAT and Excalibur and Q-nock for Scorpyd, 92g DT insert, 100g TruGlo Titanium.

Discussion: I use 22” because two of my xbows need that and the Excalibur(BD400) well with them also.
For your usage, 20” would serve well. As length goes down, FOC requirement goes up (heavier insert/broadhead or field tip). The 110g SS Ethics insert is supposed to be better than the 92g DT AL insert. I believe that the Vanetec 315 is a little better than my ST280s.

The only possible problem of using 20” arrows with the M380 is broadhead extension past the Stirrup. It’s ok to use longer, just not too short of arrows. I believe that there are inflight advantages to longer range shooting with longer arrows.

If I were getting arrows for your situation, I’d get Spynal Tapps, 20”, 110 SS insert, 315 Vanetec vanes in offset , flat plastic nocks for Excalinur and whatever Jerry says for the Ten Point. 100, 125 or even 150g broadheads will work list ok to have a greater FOC. Penetration will be better. FWIW, I really like the 100g TruGlo Titanium 4-blade expandible broadheads.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tha
I believe that the WR 400 is an outstanding choice for a crossbow.
Thank you and the arrow stats you quoted in your post for the WR400 is exactly what Jerry quoted me to use in the custom build he's doing for me. I guess as they say " great minds think alike!" You and Jerry are in tune!
Jerry also gave me the stats for my son's Excalibur Matrix 380 I bought him and is building customs for that also.
I've been shooting Slick Trick 100's for so many years I can't remember when I started with them. Pretty soon after they hit the market I believe. I used them solely with a compound bow and had outstanding results in both accuracy and complete pass throughs on all but one deer over the years.

Explain to me SEW what you appreciate about the TruGlo broadheads and why. Also the SWAT heads. I'm always up for learning more and I'm one of those guys that needs the "WHY" behind what I use, not just because it's a fad in some circles. At my age, facts and evidence mean 10X more than being the guy with the newest latest bell and whistle!
Thanks SEW!

Reactions: SEW

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I believe that the WR 400 is an outstanding choice for a crossbow.
Another question for you SEW...Being a newbie to crossbow shooting and hunting, please explain to me your view on 3 blade fixed vs 4 blade fixed heads in a crossbow and of course why you prefer or don't like one or the other. I've always been a fixed blade shooter whether it be solid piece construction or replaceable fixed blades. Never ever have I opted to try a mechanical or hunt with one. I have my reasons. Thanks again SEW

·
6,273 Posts
I’ve found the following principles concerning crossbow arrow shooting. The shorter the arrow, the shorter the fixed BH needs to be for accurate flight.
All Slick Trick versions have worked well for me regardless of speed.
The longer the power stroke for the given speed , the less crucial the spine of the arrow.
Most expandibles work well.
The faster the arrow, the shorter the arrow(crossbow arrows are comparatively short anyway), the more the advantage with the expandible.
Some expandibles, rear opening, have no tendency to open inflight (TruGlo, others), expandibles can cut bigger holes without a lot of blade surface in the airstream, inflight, generally, there’s plenty of energy regardless of blade cutting area, I was referencing the SWAT crossbow - not the SWAT broadhead, expandable BHs are like lawyers - a certain percentage give the others a bad name - to me, the best expandibles are better than the best fixed for deer/black bear out of a crossbow when all is considered(trajectory and accuracy) . More FOC than minimally required tends to only help. Occasionally when bear hunting, I’ll use a 92 or 110g insert plus a 150 or 175g Crossbow Trick broadhead. More FOC really helps in wind and for penetration.
The Grizz Trick and the current Crossbow Trick (150g) are cream of the crop fixed BHs for crossbows. NAP has made a turn to the worse production-wise by going to China. The Doublecross is fragile, the Spitfire (I’ve killed >50 deer with the SF) needs a band for complete reliability and is flip over deploying, vs rear deploying, doesn’t fly as well as many others at higher speeds and longer ranges, the FOC flies great but doesn’t always passthru even on chest shots with >100’-lbs of energy hitting the deer. Schwackers - yuk! Rages - yuk squared!
The G5 expandibles get rave reviews, SWATs do also, TruGlos do.
Controlled tests have shown higher recovery rates with expandibles. Keep an open mind concerning expandibles.

·
6,273 Posts
3 vs 4 blade. I’ve tested a lot of fixed BHs. I’ve gotten extreme accuracy out of the Excalibur Boltcutters (3-blade) and Slick Tricks(4-blade) but not a lot of others. Smaller profile Wasps and Muzzies do generally very well. Thunderheads and Super Razorheads did terrible. A whole lot of fletching and high foc cen help these fly well. I can see no reason to ever use a fixed other than the Grizz Trick or Crossbow Trick in a fixed broadhead.
That said, I will continue to use the TruGlo Titanium 4-blade only because of its apparent inflight and terminal performance advantages over every thing else I’ve tested.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.