Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to effectively decock one of these bows? I am considering the 130, but don't want to have to fire the bolt into the ground or other while in the field. I like everything about the Telson, from what I have read, but don't want to have to carry back loaded. Any help on this?

Spin

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
None that I can safely think of. I use a small bag target and my headlights to discharge the arrow into at the end of the day. I carry my xbow loaded on my back or in my hand all the time. Others use discharge composite arrows that you can just fire off at the end of the day. I don't think I would want to let any xbow down manually after hunting all day. Think about safety first and the possibility of any injury to many different parts of your body. A cheap discharge arrow or carrying a small bag target in my truck wins out for me. I know you don't like these options but, for safety reasons reconsider them. There is alot of stored energy in a xbow. I think they are much easier to cock slowly then let down quickly.
Hope this helps and, good luck with whatever xbow you choose.

c-t

·
Registered
281 Posts
Is there a way to effectively decock one of these bows? I am considering the 130, but don't want to have to fire the bolt into the ground or other while in the field. I like everything about the Telson, from what I have read, but don't want to have to carry back loaded. Any help on this?

Spin
Spin decocking like CT says is best left to shooting a bolt safely into a target. However, I'm going to post a vid on one way it can be done with a Parker Crank. You've got to modify the hooks to cock the Scorpyd but it can be done once I put my Dremel to the hooks. After that you could decock... I've done it essentially already when I saw I couldn't quite cock the Scorpyd. You've got to be SUPER careful doing this since you will have a bolt LOADED !!!

·
Banned
1,256 Posts
Some people have used a short piece of a bolt and decocking it with a rope cocker. But I'm totally against that unless you like hole in the foot disease. I can't imagine doing that but they posted a how too on one of the forums. It's just an accident waiting to happen. Take an old arrow or a target when you get back to the truck.

·
Registered
7 Posts

Spin

Winchester Archery is launching this crossbow decocker,
you can see it on youtube:www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPg6te8diuY
I's pretty cool, it's only about 13" long and 2-1/2 lbs.

Attachments

·
Banned
1,256 Posts
Unless it's approved by the manufacturer it's a good way to get an injury or damage your xbow. And I don't really want to scratch the rail up attaching something to it each hunt. I can imagine attaching 2 straps and 2 bungee cords in the dark at my treestand when I'm heading out for the day. Plus I'm surprised the "it's added weight to carry" cry babies haven't added their .02¢ in on it. 2.5 pounds means life and death to a few or so they act.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Unless it's approved by the manufacturer it's a good way to get an injury or damage your xbow. And I don't really want to scratch the rail up attaching something to it each hunt. I can imagine attaching 2 straps and 2 bungee cords in the dark at my treestand when I'm heading out for the day. Plus I'm surprised the "it's added weight to carry" cry babies haven't added their .02¢ in on it. 2.5 pounds means life and death to a few or so they act.
What is the problem with discharging an old bolt in to the ground? I have been doing that for years. At the house there are targets in the yard to unload into. It is a whole lot better than discharging a muzzleloader before I head to the house. Before inlines with easily removable breech plugs, that was the way it was.
Steve

Reactions: tracker12

·
Registered
828 Posts
Go to the Scorpyd website, they have a defuser that works really well for the Deathstalker, my experience. I don't know if it will accommodate the Telson.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts