Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
馃徆馃幆
Recently I was challenged/inspired to try 100 yard crossbow target shooting. I started short range (40 yds) with tuning my crossbow and working up each 10 yards increment checking to make sure my Hawke XB30 scope was dialed in to each.
As I shot more my skills improved as my equipment performed better than expected. Now I am comfortable past 100 yards.
You can do this with lots of practice and the right equipment.

View these videos of my attempts and enjoy!
馃徆馃幆

Spot On

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
True my friend! There is a story about the shooting bench. I did some research online and saw various styles of custom and purchased benches.
I decided to build my own portable because I live in the city and wanted one I could take with me to the lease if I wanted to target shoot while there.

At first I bought the steel legs and attached them to a 3\4" thick piece of plywood. All I had to do was set the lead sled on it tried it out. The results were better but too much shake and wiggle to please me. I keep trying different mods until I got it just right for me. I did about 5 upgrades in all.

It when like this if you wonder:

I noticed things like the lead sled dancing around and every time I took my position to shoot plus the wiggle
Then I started making modification improvements by adding a 4" x 4" beam underneath to make it rigid with angle supports.

But there was still wiggle when I touched by bench.

That was why I added the cross braces and angle supports underneath and on the legs.

To anchor the lead sled I attached strips of 3/4" wood to contain it by surrounding the feet.

Then to address the elevation adjustments at the rear sled foot by adding a adjustment feature at the rear sled foot to make fast elevation changes possible for all my weapons.

I cut the rear section at an angle to allow me to slide in close to the sled with ease.

I added one set of cross braces in the legs supports just to add a an 50 pound rock when need for improved stability. I have stopped using the rock. I place some homemade sand bags on the sled only. One under my left elbow seems to help with wiggle reduction.

The seat was easy I have a folding short step stood that work great with customs.

That is the end of the bench building evolution.

Spot.

20180730_125332.jpg

20180730_125340.jpg

Now how about some freehand ?

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
I can shoot off hand but what is the point. While hunting I will always have a steady rest to get best results.

I can shoot off hand but what is the point. While hunting I will always have a steady rest to get best results.
Since the post was about 100 yard shooting I thought it was about target shooting. Freehand to me is much more challenging and gratifying, but that鈥檚 just me.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
I will use all tools I can to make good kill shots at game. Off hand will not be one I use often. For target practice it's about being accurate and checking equipment. Plus fun! Not many are hitting bullseye at long distance.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Yawl know what? When I first did the long range post I thought there would be more CBN members that would be taking long range target practice. Now it seems that isn't the case. I wanted to inspire a more to at least try it.
Maybe some will!

Spot On

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
I am like soa, i prefer good support while shooting my crossbow. Specially while hunting any game !
While hunting I carry a shooting stick when I hunt from a ground blind that works. In tree or off ground stands I use the existing structure for support.

Reactions: dynamo61

Registered
Well done Spot. You are in a rare group shooters. Impressed!

I shot vertical longbows, recurves and vertical compounds for years. Killed lots of deer with all three. Of course, all were shot off hand with no artificial support. Archery was, and still is, in my blood. I still like the challenge of shooting offhand. It does not restrict where I can shoot. If a buck sneaks in behind me, I鈥檓 ready. Not depending on something to hold my crossbow for me works for me. (y)

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
I did shoot less off bench. Then I realized I needed to take my errors out of testing and checking my tools to get feedback that allowed me to isolate root cause of errors to make proper countermeasure to get accurate weapons. That works well for me because I still make good kill shots without a shooting bench.

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
Well done Spot. You are in a rare group shooters. Impressed!
Tom,
Thanks for your kind compliment.

It is beginning to look more and more like it is rare for someone to shoot this well with a crossbow. Now that I have done this for a short time it seems relatively easy to repeat.
I kept thinking there will be others that follow my lead. Nothing yet on video but a less than a handful saying they do.

It is exhilarating fun at my young age. 馃徆馃憤

Spot On

Premium Member
Tom,
Thanks for your kind compliment.

It is beginning to look more and more like it is rare for someone to shoot this well with a crossbow. Now that I have done this for a short time it seems relatively easy to repeat.
I kept thinking there will be others that follow my lead. Nothing yet on video but a less than a handful saying they do.

It is exhilarating fun at my young age. 馃徆馃憤

Spot On
I will be shooting at 70 to 100 yards soon enough, Spot-on-arrow.
It is a matter of making the time to do it.

60 yards is my longest shooting to date.
That was done from a sand bag rest on a picnic table.

I posted it here:

Also, we should remember that not everyone has easy access to safe shooting at long distances.
I would guess that most use their crossbows at under 50 yards.

Reactions: Spot-on-arrow

Registered
I am very early in my crossbow journey, but 100+ yd shots are on my list. Following this with great interest and hope to share my results this year.

Call me crazy but 70+ yd offhand shots are also a goal of mine, and with the sig bdx I wanna be able to hit the target in moderate wind at that range.

Registered
Discussion Starter #19
I will be shooting at 70 to 100 yards soon enough, Spot-on-arrow.
It is a matter of making the time to do it.

60 yards is my longest shooting to date.
That was done from a sand bag rest on a picnic table.

I posted it here:
Also, we should remember that not everyone has easy access to safe shooting at long distances.
I would guess that most use their crossbows at under 50 yards.
Nice shooting!

Thanks! I realize having the space to shoot safe can be a limitation. I am blessed to have relatives close by that allow me to use their property as I need. My lease land is 57 miles away and not convenient even though it is the best spot for wind restriction. My time isn't a restriction.
I look forward to hearing from you on your quest.

Registered
Discussion Starter #20
I am very early in my crossbow journey, but 100+ yd shots are on my list. Following this with great interest and hope to share my results this year.

Call me crazy but 70+ yd offhand shots are also a goal of mine, and with the sig bdx I wanna be able to hit the target in moderate wind at that range.
I look forward to hearing from you on your quest.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts