Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So during Turkey season in Michigan we were hot into the pandemic. We had a Zoom before opening day hunt camp and did some remote shots. We practiced social distanced hunting. We had pretty good success on Turkeys 3 out of 4 guys got nice birds. Maybe it was because we were spacing hunts out so we didn't have overlap?

I was hoping that the pandemic would be gone by now and we could have a normal opening day but it seems like it still is at risk. 3 of us are over 60 with one guy just recovering from Chemo. So he is being extra careful. Our hunting cabins are 1000 square feet with seperate bedrooms for each guy but only with one bathroom. Not horrible tight but tight.

I've been trying to think of ways we could all get together like normal. But it may be similar to the turkey opener this year.

I guess I could get 4 portapotties with each guys name on it for the bathroom issue. And we could stay outside by a fire for distancing? Everybody gets tested before they show up? I have plenty of non-contact thermometers but now they are saying that fever isn't always there in 2 out of 5 types of symptoms. I even have a thermal monitor system that will check people for temperature.

Unfortunately, I think the night before opener festivities might be over for now. The customary shots of fire jack and associated selfie of same might be out! Maybe it will have the same effect as turkey season, lower pressure, less guys going in at once and better success. But the camaraderie is one of the best parts of the openers. Might be another zoom opener for us.

I was just wondering if you guys had thoughts or comments as to how to keep the opening day normal without putting guys at risk. Or what everyone else is going to do.

I'm still going out for sure! Just won't have a group of 4 going out with me if it is anything like turkey season. Maybe the big boy will poke his head out of the swamp with less guys around!

Hope everyone is doing well out there.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Definitely putting a dampener on my season planning too. I have an elderly mother in law who lives in our home, with a few additional risk factors. My wife is already worried about my going to hunting camp (two diff ones) this fall. Not sure I’ll be able to go, and that’ll really suck.

·
Registered
13,358 Posts
I would look at it the same as we do at work. We sit 6' apart during dinner and wear masks when we aren't eating or drinking. If two people is in one vehicle they wear masks....staying 6' apart. Constant hand washings, daily showers, and lysol cleaning daily and we haven't had any Covid-19 at work...….yet!

Just a thought...A full length porch on the cabin might help with the social distancing.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah it does suck for sure. Huntcamp and opening day are the highlights of my year.

I do have a full length front porch and side porch on my cabin. So that might help.

I like the possibility of distancing on the porch. Individual pizzas instead of a large "the works". Separate porta potties. Each guy gets his own bottle of jack fire and a designated shot glass. Designated chairs. It could work...until the drinking starts... lol.

It is a lot more preparation than usual but it sure would be nice to have a deer camp instead of a zoom meeting.

Or maybe I just solo quarantine for the season! Some might think that selfish but I would consider it taking one for the team!

·
Registered
880 Posts
These are all good ideas, but I think for me personally it would be hard to wear masks constantly indoors. Fine for short stints at stores and such, but once I get home I’m eager to pull it off. That’s just me.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I am going to try to go to Michigan for gun opener. Lot's of things to consider.
Mask are no problem for me. I have been wearing them in the warm weather for decades. Asthma and seasonal allergies. I buy mine online from the Allergy Store. Neoprene with velcro straps...comfortable.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Brady, You use the MU2 sportmask? The allergy store is sold out but it is good to know what somebody with experience uses.

I don't like masks. But now that I have them around they are handy when I go out with a tractor and rototiller. It is just bizaar that our grandkids will grow up with this. I gave my 2 year old grandaughter a neck gator with dinosaurs on it. She really liked it because everyone around her had masks on. Really cute but kinda sad.

·
Registered
164 Posts
If you're that worried about it just have everyone go get tested the week before and make extra sure you're all distancing as much as possible until it's time to go. There were thousands of things you could have passed to one another last year, the year before, the year before, the year before...etc. that you could've spread to one another and made yourselves sick or worse and you never considered canceling it before. Just saying. As long as you're all healthy the week leading up I don't see any reason for any of it but that's just me. Are you social distancing from your wife and kids? Probably not, because you know you're healthy.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,904 Posts
Brady, You use the MU2 sportmask? The allergy store is sold out but it is good to know what somebody with experience uses.

I don't like masks. But now that I have them around they are handy when I go out with a tractor and rototiller. It is just bizaar that our grandkids will grow up with this. I gave my 2 year old grandaughter a neck gator with dinosaurs on it. She really liked it because everyone around her had masks on. Really cute but kinda sad.
Hopefully they will find a vaccine that really works and all this will not be necessary anymore.

·
Registered
903 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will try some of those masks when I can find them.

zblevins... Thanks for putting perspective in it. that is certainly true about things that might have been passed in prior years. This seems a little different. But is low risk for most. Testing before hand might help a lot. Maybe that is the answer.

I just wish we knew more. My daughter is a covid ICU nurse and had people dying on her nightly for 3 months until it subsided a little here. My buddy is a pulmonologist who spent 3 months straight treating covid patients. He told me there aren't any good treatments. The resmedivir (SP?) helps "just a little". He only lost one patient to covid.

The weird part is some people get it mild and others get it to an extreme. I have had two employees get it (after we all were working from home). The one my age got through it like it was the flu. The younger seemingly healthier one BARELY made it through because of severe lack of breathing issues. My sons both got it before there was testing... one in Chicago one in Detroit. Both made it through so far with no complications.

It seems like they can treat it a little etter now. They pretty much outlawed hydroxychloroquine in Michigan because of politics.

A vaccine or some antiviral drug would be a god send for sure. So I am still keeping my fingers crossed. 2 months to go!(y)

·
Registered
164 Posts
I will try some of those masks when I can find them.

zblevins... Thanks for putting perspective in it. that is certainly true about things that might have been passed in prior years. This seems a little different. But is low risk for most. Testing before hand might help a lot. Maybe that is the answer.

I just wish we knew more. My daughter is a covid ICU nurse and had people dying on her nightly for 3 months until it subsided a little here. My buddy is a pulmonologist who spent 3 months straight treating covid patients. He told me there aren't any good treatments. The resmedivir (SP?) helps "just a little". He only lost one patient to covid.

The weird part is some people get it mild and others get it to an extreme. I have had two employees get it (after we all were working from home). The one my age got through it like it was the flu. The younger seemingly healthier one BARELY made it through because of severe lack of breathing issues. My sons both got it before there was testing... one in Chicago one in Detroit. Both made it through so far with no complications.

It seems like they can treat it a little etter now. They pretty much outlawed hydroxychloroquine in Michigan because of politics.

A vaccine or some antiviral drug would be a god send for sure. So I am still keeping my fingers crossed. 2 months to go!(y)
It's definitely different for sure but it's also more of the same. There are a vast number of diseases, accidents, viruses that kill people every day. This is just getting so much attention because it's the newest one. Everyone thought AIDS was going to be the bubonic plague in the 80s now it's almost nevet even mentioned. I understand people wanting to be safe but the media and our "leaders" are fear mongering to the n'th degree on this one I feel. I refuse to live in fear but I do try to stay informed and safe. Everyone deals with stuff differently. I hope you all figure it out and get to have your camp up and running this year and poke a big one!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
209 Posts
Camp will the same here. Only reason I have camp is tradition. We will carry on as usual.
Not buying the pandemic... To many bald face liars & corrupted politics driving this false narrative.
We will hunt trophy Whitetail & put up our winters meat as we have since before I was born.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts