Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Administrator
6,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For years when I was a young man (in my teens) I would hunt from a treestand and never wear a safety belt. When a grew a little older, I would where one of those kind that just went around your waste. I thought that anything more would just get in the way. Then I switched to a safety belt that had shoulder straps. I thought this was the cats meow, even though there were companies just coming out offering a full containment system within a vest. I thought the legs straps would just be a pain in the butt so I purchased safety harnesses that didn't have them. Last year was the first time I ever used a full containment safety harness. It is made buy the hunter safety system. At first I was a skeptic, thinking it would still be uncomfortable and more of a distraction than it was worth. Boy was I wrong. This thing is so simple to use and put on. Not to mention you could fall out of your stand and hang there for hours and be comfortable. I know being young and dumb was a big art of me not getting one sooner, but this thing is awesome. They are a little on the pricey side, but if my hunting future needs to rely on a safety harness, this is the one I want. It is so easy to put on and strap to the tree. I would highly recommend it to anyone hunting from a treestand. The older I get the wiser I am. At this point in my life, I would never hunt from a stand without one. For those of you who don't use a safety belt. Don't jeopardize your life or your hunting career by being foolish. Get yourself a hunters safety system today. You will be glad you did.

·
11,432 Posts
Isn't it amazing how age and experience

almost always makes us more conservative and careful. I absolutely would not go in the woods now without my GPS and cell phone. I think back to some of the stuff I did in my 20's and 30's and it still scares me:D

·
53 Posts
I have a harness made by this company it is A1 .

Not as bullet proof as I once was . Had a close call 2 years back almost fell out of a stand onto a black bear i arrowed , had no harness on . :eek::ack2: Never again .

·
665 Posts
They are worth every penny they will save your life and you will be comfortable while it is doing its job

I sold mine last year and I cant wait to get another

·
Incurable Tinkerer
5,031 Posts
I just got one on a silent auction at a Quality Deer Management banquet. I have several harnesses and a lineman's' belt but at 68 I have realized that cutting corners makes no sense. The pro model includes a belt one can use as a deer drag or hook to the back of the vest and stand in the loop to relieve the pressure of the legs straps after hanging a while. This is great gear I hope I never have to use.

·
11,432 Posts
The only thing I don't like

about the netting is tha when I hunt in pine trees, the netting is noisy and gets caught in the pine bark against my back.

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
I can't help but giggle whn I read a few exrta comments added. Like the bullet proof. I SO understand!
Here's my experience with safety systems.
When in South Texas, we always hunt on the ground. There are times in July and August where we have no choice but to hunt naked with the 115-120 degrees inside a pop up blind, while waiting for pig thirty. To us, that is normal. So, it's very different to go sit in a tree for a week a year. That's the first thing. Second, being from Texas, we don't have to wear all those clothes either. So, a few years ago, Eastman sent us some Gorilla tree stands to Ohio, and my very first expereince was totally miserable.
Here I was, sitting in a tree, in the rain, with all those 5 layers of clothes on and cover alls, but worse-A harness! I felt like a turtle in the tree realizing if a deer did in fact walk in, I couldn't have moved to lift my arms to raise my bow! So, I just sat there. Waited for dark, and thought about the fact that this is NOT my way of hunting for sure.
I figured I may as well just fall, as hittimg the ground wouldn't be near as miserable as sitting in the tree, not being able to scratch my nose. I don't know how ya'll do it. My hats off to ya'll.

·
Incurable Tinkerer
5,031 Posts
Trust me GG, if you ever hit the ground that a way, you'll understand how (why) those of us who hunt form trees (and have fallen) do it.

·
85 Posts
UL, bought a Hunters Safety Systems harness last year and has become as much a part of the hunt as a seat belt is to a drive in my truck. I ironworked for 25yrs and felt I never had a need for a safety restraint,but like you say, the older you get,hopefully the wiser you become. Kinda like that ole buck that always gives you the slip.Now I won`t climb without my harness,plus it keeps the Mrs. from worrying while I`m hunting. Don`t forget, hanging from a harness cuts the circulation to the legs, and only takes 15mins. before you loose conciousness and expire from lack of circulation, hence the foot stirrup provide by the HSS harness.
If you don`t want to wear a harness for yourself, wear one for your wife and children,they will thank you for it.

·
Administrator
6,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Once I had my little girl 2 years ago is when my views on everything changed. tomorrow, my wife and I go to the hospital to have a boy. I can't wait. She is being induced at noon. When your a young man you have know fear of anything. When you know people are counting on you to be around for years, it's amazing how your mindset changes about everyday activities. I'm glad mine changed and wouldn't have it any other way.

·
665 Posts
Urban Legend said:
Once I had my little girl 2 years ago is when my views on everything changed. tomorrow, my wife and I go to the hospital to have a boy. I can't wait. She is being induced at noon. When your a young man you have know fear of anything. When you know people are counting on you to be around for years, it's amazing how your mindset changes about everyday activities. I'm glad mine changed and wouldn't have it any other way.
08-08-08

I'm jealous My wife is due any day and I keep telling her tomorrow is a great day to have a baby. A date you will never forget

Con grads

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
Well congratulations to everybody! Glad it's ya'll and not me though! We have 8 grandkids, and the youngest is 3. It's hard to find time from playing
now to be able and do things with them. Except one. The boy shows up here as soon as schools out, and won't leave until he has to. I can't blame him. He hates city life compared to the country life of leasure. He ran away from his other grandmas 6 months ago in the night trying to get to my house and thank GOD the police found him before someone else did. He told them he was an orphan and lived with his Grandma (me) and just needed a ride to get home. ( 60 miles away). He's 9! Did it twice in one night!
I can't do that BS anymore. It's much better to be the grandparents than parents.

·
101 Posts
last year when i bought my summit climber i went right over and got the hunter safety vest. every time i go up in the summit (gorilla) i tie in, lock up, and then pull up the crossbow and gear. having been for a short time in my life an arborist, i've learned alot about tree saftey. you'll never know when, you'll just know after it happens. having said all that bunk---i just love to take a nap up in the tree in the fall in michigan. 30-35 feet up in a tree is a great place to be and saftey is #1.

·
Incurable Tinkerer
5,031 Posts
You're a dad again by now UL. CONGRATULATIONS. Best order those stands made for two. And a Safety System in size SMALL.

·
Hunter
6,187 Posts
Congratulations.

SUPER CONGRATULATIONS,TO JEFF AND HIS WIFE!+JACOB

Best to all.

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
Yes sir! Congrats! Better get some napping in while you can. It's gonna be a loonnnggg month coming! It's not the baby, it's all the company. They should make a rule that no one comes by and tries to help until after the first two weeks, when by then, you really need the help. Kiss the baby for us.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts