Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This season is the first one in over 15 years where it looks like the majority of my hunting will be alone. That got me wondering what percentage of you guys on here hunt alone compared to with other hunters. Which do you prefer and why?

·
Happy Member
5,559 Posts
I hunt alone except for 1 week in November when my grandson visits from Illinois. He gets to hunt the whole week with my Micro and of course his grandpa!

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk

·
11,432 Posts
I always liked having someone hunting in the same general area, at least within a mile or so, just in case one of us needed help. It was tough back in the old days though. I remember hunting in Amelia County right by myself at times. 25 miles from home and if I had gotten hurt, using screw in steps and chain on home made stands, nobody would find me. I was lucky. Only fell once when one step pulled out of the tree as I was coming down. I was about 10 feet off the ground when it pulled out. One step caught my left elbow on the way down. Luckily, it did not break my arm but it was bruised terribly. I ordered two climbing stands as they became available😊.
No matter how you hunt, whether it be up 20’ in the air or sitting on the ground, i think it’s wise to hunt with a partner if you can.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I only started hunting with an xbow this year because of a friend who wanted someone to take along. We set up a few hundred yards apart but truck pool to the area and back. Grateful for the camaraderie and he’s been an xbow hunter for 15+ years so I’m learning a lot. I could see going alone, but I’d rather not, at least not now.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I hunt alone, my oldest son hunted with me once last year and killed a 7 pt. he says he is going to hunt more this year. But him and his wife had their first child about 2 months ago so I’m not sure how much we will be hunting. :ROFLMAO:

But I enjoy having someone around but that’s not the case. However, I have several buddies and we all text each other when hunting.

Reactions: bofos and slyx33

·
Registered
34 Posts
I enjoy being alone in the stand but always have a buddy hunting the same property. You never know when you'll need help down here in the Florida swamp land

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I enjoy being alone in the stand but always have a buddy hunting the same property. You never know when you'll need help down here in the Florida swamp land
Lived in West Palm beach for few years. Had a buddy who pig hunted with his dogs. Took me hunting, hard o hunters worse on dogs. Pigs not. that happy either.

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
I hunt alone about 90% of the time. I'm pretty independent but it would be handy to have a hunting buddy in the area at times. Occasionally in Nov. and Dec. my Son In Law joins me here in Texas and he's a good hand to have around and a good hunter. I typically I take 2-3 hunting trips each year d join friends to hunt. I do enjoy that "camp time" after the hunt. During the hunt I prefer to be alone or quite a way away from other hunters for the obvious reasons.

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Tex you hunt pigs lots. They can be unpredictable. Big impact sidearm.
I love to night hunt hogs HT. I do carry a little friend that can make a lot of noise if I need him to.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I hunt alone mostly but someone always knows where I am.
This, even though like I said I do 95% of my hunting alone my wife at a minimum knows where I am going. I hunt on a military base and you get assigned to a certain area of the base and you can't leave that area. Each area is fairly big anywhere from 2000 to 12000 acres. But I tell her which area I got assigned in has they are numbered alpha numerically and then l will drop a pin to the exact spot I plan on going to. If for whatever reason when I get out there and can't get that exact spot I send her another pin once I am to my tree. Usually I will conversate with some of my hunting buddies through the day also. I hate cell phones but in case of emergency they are nice

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
123 Posts
Yeah I was thinking more deer hunting when commenting about hunting alone. I do turkey hunt a little more often with one of my buddies. He is an excellent turkey hunter so turkey hunting it is probably like 50/50. We will take turns calling for each other or try to double up if there are two gobblers coming in.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 91 Posts