Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will the screens in a hunting blind affect a mechanical broad head? I like to leave them in place but nervous it will affect the flight since I use a mechanical broad head with my crossbow.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I can tell you that spitfires and swhackers are good to go out to thirty through the mesh on my big mike blind....

·
Registered
13,755 Posts
Never hunted from a blind but I would not shoot thru those screens. I've just see a small minute little tip of a tiny limb turn arrows before. Maybe even just leaves. All I would want my arrow to hit first is brown hair.;)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Never hunted from a blind but I would not shoot thru those screens. I've just see a small minute little tip of a tiny limb turn arrows before. Maybe even just leaves. All I would want my arrow to hit first is brown hair.;)
I'd have to agree with that, if you were even considering it i would set the blind up and take some practice shots. It's definitely not worth missing a buck of a lifetime or wounding any animal.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Will the screens in a hunting blind affect a mechanical broad head? I like to leave them in place but nervous it will affect the flight since I use a mechanical broad head with my crossbow.
Ive shot fixed blades through mesh out to roughly 30 yds, give or take a yd or two with very few issues.. As for mechanicals, Ive never tried it.. Personally, like Winston said above, If I wanted do it, I would try it out to the ranges I expect my shots to come and then make my decision on what I learned from testing it..

But to be brutally honest, I wouldn't do it. I would fix my blind windows to where I could shoot unobstructed. It may mean a little less field of view from your blind but you'll be better off and that'll be one less thing to worry about cause heaven knows there's enough to fret over without adding to the list...

Good luck pal..

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Ive shot fixed blades through mesh out to roughly 30 yds, give or take a yd or two with very few issues.. As for mechanicals, Ive never tried it.. Personally, like Winston said above, If I wanted do it, I would try it out to the ranges I expect my shots to come and then make my decision on what I learned from testing it..

But to be brutally honest, I wouldn't do it. I would fix my blind windows to where I could shoot unobstructed. It may mean a little less field of view from your blind but you'll be better off and that'll be one less thing to worry about cause heaven knows there's enough to fret over without adding to the list...

Good luck pal..
I concur.

I thought about shooting thru the mesh on my blind but had a change of heart.

It is somewhat difficult sitting in a blind with only a small window open, but the deer get used to it and if you wear black from the waist up, you should be fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Don't do it. I missed the biggest buck of my life 3 years ago shooting a rage mechanical thru a screen at 35 yds. With screens out last year I shot the biggest buck of my life at 35 yds in the same place.

·
Registered
12,493 Posts
I have never seen an arrow deflect because of screening on a blind. That said, I don't shoot through mine as I always leave my front window open.

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
I wouldn't

Reactions: Gabowman

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Just for fun I tried poking a crossbow Swacker through the mesh in a blind I have and it broke the band and opened the blades...now that was me smacking the arrow against the screen by hand so I don't know if the same thing would happen firing it at 375 fps. I sure am not going to try it on game.

·
Registered
103 Posts
While hunting, I've had many arrows deflect off tiny saplings, causing the arrow to do full flips!!! Sorry, I don't care who say's or did, I'd never shoot a arrow through blind mesh. Arrows can do weird things sometimes, without hitting anything at all!!

·
Registered
559 Posts
Being in TX I've tested them a lot, it's a crap shoot. Sometimes it doesn't seem to effect them and sometimes it does. I've noticed it effects shot more shooting at a angle thorough the mesh. So if your window is straight and you hit where all your blades contact window at same time it tends to stay straight , but if one blade hit first at angle it can get squirrelly. I setup my blinds for 50-60yd shots and cut a shooting slit so I don't hit screen. Up close the deer are nervous with a black hole but at 50yds they don't care.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,493 Posts
Just for fun I tried poking a crossbow Swacker through the mesh in a blind I have and it broke the band and opened the blades...now that was me smacking the arrow against the screen by hand so I don't know if the same thing would happen firing it at 375 fps. I sure am not going to try it on game.
There is a heck of a difference between hitting something by hand and shooting it at very high speeds. Like I stated above try shooting a couple at targets and see what happens. You might be pleasantly surprised.

·
Registered
12,493 Posts
I really do not understand why there are so many nay sayers that say I would never do this or try this when they have not ever actually tried it. The only way to find out if something actually works is to do it. You don't have to practice on a live animal, A target will work just fine.
I would never tell someone to do or not do something I had not tried out for myself based upon what I had heard from others or read on an internet forum. Especially from someone who says I would never try this. ;)

·
9,807 Posts
My opinion ... "you should be nervous."...lol Shooting through anything is a CF waiting to happen. Even more so with a mechanical. Only takes one extra strong thread, one hard spot, one just about anything to open that broadhead. I'd never do it unless I had a Slick trick and the deer was 3' in front of the window. o_O

Reactions: bowman81

·
Registered
477 Posts
I agree with duke, when double bull was still making blinds they would give you a small list of what would work through screens. Most anything that didn't have "wings" of some sort. I have shot fixed blade heads with no problem out of screens but always stayed clear of mechanicals.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts