Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased my hunting license and deer permit today and it got me thinking. I live in SW Ohio and hunt public land. Ohio has a large hunting population and gets hammered by out of state hunters too. In past years I would burn vacation and sick days to hunt during the week hopefully to run into less hunters and it seemed to have worked. What crossed my mind today was with COVID going on and a lot of people not working, what will the woods like this season? Guess I’ll find out here next month. Stay safe everyone, Adam.

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
A bunch of broke folks might NOT be hunting. Just gonna have to wait and see I guess.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
I think the # of hunters in the woods will be higher. I know the #'s have been up for fishing and I see more tree stands and trail cams put up this year than I have ever seen in all my years of hunting.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think the # of hunters in the woods will be higher. I know the #'s have been up for fishing and I see more tree stands and trail cams put up this year than I have ever seen in all my years of hunting.
Thats what I was thinking too. Going scouting this weekend and I might go back in further than I normally do. It is what is, we will just have to adapt and hunt smarter.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Correct me if i'm wrong, but i was under the impression that Ohio closed the hunting season to non residents, due to Covid? Remember reading about it somewhere?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Correct me if i'm wrong, but i was under the impression that Ohio closed the hunting season to non residents, due to Covid? Remember reading about it somewhere?
I’ll have to research that, thanks for bringing that up.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’ll have to research that, thanks for bringing that up.
Looks like you were correct.

·
8,999 Posts
Looks like you were correct.
Yeah … quarantine all alone in a treestand for two weeks ...lol 😂 :p

Reactions: dynamo61 and PBR

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the article, so now I know what’s going on. It is what it is, and I’m used to hunting public land unless I want to go to our Missouri farm but can’t take off work that long for a deer. I have plenty of spots so no big deal and I’m mobile.

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
I'm sure things have changed in the last 20 years but back when I used to come to Ohio to hunt in early November there wasn't many folks hunting. And finding permission to hunt private land wasn't hard either. Just hang out around the country stores and meet some guys and it wont take long before getting permission. Seemed everybody I talked to was waiting for shotgun season before they hunted.

Reactions: dynamo61 and PBR

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm sure things have changed in the last 20 years but back when I used to come to Ohio to hunt in early November there wasn't many folks hunting. And finding permission to hunt private land wasn't hard either. Just hang out around the country stores and meet some guys and it wont take long before getting permission. Seemed everybody I talked to was waiting for shotgun season before they hunted.
Not so in southern Ohio anymore, unfortunately. I lived there 40 years, and still hunt there every year on family property. Lots of private land is leased now, so that land is no longer available to hunt. With all of the ‘big bucks’ to come out of Ohio, hunting pressure has grown exponentially over the years, especially from out of state hunters. People who give permission are very few and far between anymore. I won’t clutter this thread up with why - but I have had plenty of experiences and encounters that probably play a role in that mindset.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
8,999 Posts
My ole man's … hunting partner of 40 years grew up in Ohio. Folks were miners. Has a big family out there. Went out and hunted a half dozen pieces of property 20 years ago, all people they knew. Didn't take long when "Leasing" caught on before you had no place to hunt anymore. People don't live disconnected from the world nowadays. News like leasing's found money spreads like wildfire. Property owners and farmers on tight budgets found a gold mine in Ohio's deer genetics; and they took advantage quickly. Can't say as I blame them. Like everything else in the world, overpopulation crowds out the old ways. The US population in 1920 was 106 million; now it's 306 million. (that doesn't count 40 million illegals...lol) 1920 ain't that long ago folks. Too many people and not enough hunting spots = money takes over. Money always crowds out those without it. That's how the wealthy keep their neighborhoods, beaches and leisure activities lily white. ;)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Think the general theme here is on target. I’d expect a greater # of hunters in the woods this fall. Many planned trips out west and to Canada, and non-hunting vacations have already been canceled or delayed till next year, it’s a naturally socially distanced activity, and currently there isn’t much else to do. This year’s baseball looks like T-ball and football will likely be the same. No in-person events to attend, and so on.

Was out fishing a few times recently and if that’s any indication on hunting, the deer woods will be jammed.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Here in southeast Oklahoma, you can't hardly drive down any road without seeing a few deer.
Most of the land is private. Everybody leases hunting rights to make money.
There are thousands of acres of state land, thankfully. During rifle season it gets busy in the woods, not so much during bow.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts