Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
364 Posts
I never have. A good friend tried to book a hunt with several outfitters for a combination elk & deer hunt. Once they learned he would be using a crossbow they declined to accept his business.
He was even turned down at a high fence operation for elk. This was about 5 ears ago but he hasn't tried to book a hubt with an oufitter since.

·
1,071 Posts
Ohio Outfitter

I recently booked a hunt with an Ohio Outfitter for a large whitetail buck this coming fall. He was very receptive to the fact that I and my friend would be using crossbows for the hunt.

I also contacted Tioga Hunting Preserve in Pennsylvania for a boar hunt and they to were very receptive to the crossbow as a weapon. So far I have had good luck with whom I have had contact. No negative comments what so ever.

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
I am an outfitter and a hunter so they're all welcome with us. Most of my hunters were introduced to the crossbow by us in the first place! They saw how much fun we had and converted. I just love to convert the old vertical bow hunters.
I get it from all directions. Some welcome me and my xbow, and some don't and those are usually vertical bow hunters who haven't received any education on xbows yet. But, as a female hunter, I catch discrimination for that too. I've been turned down on a ranch due to using mechanical broadheads also, so.... go figure.
Africa was all good as they are bow minded hunters anyway. Argentina-Well, let me tell you about Argentina. They are not arrow educated at all! We had to teach them, our guides. The first time they set my partner Butch up on his Asian Water Buffalo, they set him at 100 yards and said "Shoot." That's where the education began for them. I'll bet that 19 year old guide never guides an arrow flinger ever again. Scared him to death being that close to the Buffalo.
Then, my guide set me up 20 yards with a barb wire fence between us and the crossing for the Red Stag. I said "Nope! It ain't gonna work". So, had to educate him too. Oh yea, he's the one that dry fired the Barnett crossbow helping us get ready for the airport. It exploded, so there was no problem from customs for that peice of equipment, but they saw my Horton crossbow and asked for a fire arm permit. I explained I didn't need one, so they drug us to the police dept. and they told them to let me pass-FINALLY!

If you shoot a crossbow, you're charged with teaching and educating the others. There's no way around it if you want to hunt most places, unless they are just $$ oriented. Those outfitters and guides don't care if you use a club. They want the $$.

·
242 Posts
I have wondered about this too. I have not tried to book a hunt with the crossbow, but I think it may be frowned upon here in Colorado. The Colo. Bowhunter's Assoc. is strongly against crossbows in "their" season and there are not a lot of hunters here who have tried to hunt with one...lots of misconceptions about their ease of use and accuracy at long yardages.

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
grndhntr said:
I have wondered about this too. I have not tried to book a hunt with the crossbow, but I think it may be frowned upon here in Colorado. The Colo. Bowhunter's Assoc. is strongly against crossbows in "their" season and there are not a lot of hunters here who have tried to hunt with one...lots of misconceptions about their ease of use and accuracy at long yardages.
And that is exactly why me and mine no longer take our $$$ to Colorado to hunt. We have the same problems with the Texas Bow hunters Assoc. here. They are the only ones AGAINST legalizing xbows during archery deer season, but there are more of us FOR's now, so I foresee this being legal in the near future. I've been sneaky this past year. Take the wives out hunting with a crossbow, or let them shoot one, and guess what happens? ha ha! Shhhh!

·
132 Posts
Hey all you guys ,I outfit in Canada for Black bear . I advertise archery only hunts but I enjoy the cb guys . So if your looking for a bear hunt with cb your welcome here..

·
167 Posts
I never had any problems with any outfitters I ever dealt with! Oh I have only dealt with one GG:D What a great way to start!!!

·
Michigan Crossbow Federation Moderator
2,505 Posts
Outdoor Adventures for Women Has a ladies hunt going on next week at Deer Tracks Ranch here in Michigan. I was invited. I told them I shoot a crossbow and they said they would check to see if it was allowed. That was 2 weeks ago. I haven't heard from them. Guess that answers my question. I will probably never go on a guided hunt for whitetail but I will continue to promote education on the crossbow.

·
Hunter
6,187 Posts
Laura,Sometimes the silence is deafening.
That is a shame,they are the ones who lost a participant who would have contributed much to the outings enjoyment and success.

·
Michigan Crossbow Federation Moderator
2,505 Posts
Good News and correction!!

I just got a call from Dede Anderson of Outdoor Adventures for Women. She said that the Deer Tracks Ranch in Michigan DOES allow crossbows and that she had been trying to email me. She apparently had my email address wrong.

This is really good news and I want to make sure my previous statement was corrected to show that, not only is the ranch accommodating for crossbows, the Outdoor Adventures for Women staff cares enough to follow up on questions and concerns from subscribers to their website.

A little too late for me this year but I may be able to join in the fun next year.

·
665 Posts
lscha said:
I just got a call from Dede Anderson of Outdoor Adventures for Women. She said that the Deer Tracks Ranch in Michigan DOES allow crossbows and that she had been trying to email me. She apparently had my email address wrong.

This is really good news and I want to make sure my previous statement was corrected to show that, not only is the ranch accommodating for crossbows, the Outdoor Adventures for Women staff cares enough to follow up on questions and concerns from subscribers to their website.

A little too late for me this year but I may be able to join in the fun next year.
glad to hear it, since they are legal to use in mi:D

·
1,426 Posts
agreed with larry, laura, they sure missed out... that ghillie and all that personality.. oh well.. they will have you next year and then will call you first to see when you are available before they schedule..
lol
my only experience has been with butch and wendy, but it would seem that for the other places not as ope minded in the past, at first if there was resistance it will pass soon; capitalism rules.. I am sure I could use a spear if I wanted to...as long as I use money first...the only problem I would have as an outfitter is with an ineffective weapon or a person who cannot shoot or will not restrict himself or herself to realistic ranges for their own ability... and that you cannot tell until they show up and shoot before going to the blind.. I bet many a guide has cringed when the client cannot hit anything and the shots just keep on rolling... wounded animals all over and waste is rampant...
I would bet they are really receptive now, since xbows are more proven..
dk

·
276 Posts
The outfitter

I went with recently in Ontario was fine with the crossbow. There were two of us toting Excalibur bows. My buddy was able to tag his bear on the 4th day of the hunt. His animal turned out to be the first bear he(the outfitter) has ever had taken with a x-bow at his camp. I did take a bear but ended up using the '06 because of the range to my secondary bait site (60 yards). I was able to use my Excalibur at a couple of high fence operations and the operators of the ranches were fine with it.I hope to be able to use it when I eventually book a hunt for Axis deer!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts