Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just returned from 5 plus days working on my Daughter and Son In-Laws home that was in the direct path on the eastern side of this storm. The amount a damage can't be appreciated unless you are there cleaning up. With the added support from myself and a good friend we were able to remove large debris of trees, a destroyed shed filled with tools, bikes, all things you keep in a garage and emptied out their house and got 85 % of the house dried. They now have 3 huge dehumidifiers running 24/7 along with a 5' industrial fan circulating air. WE GOT AFTER IT: We even fixed their 8' high privacy fence. Looking back we did do a lot.

At 63 years strong I sure don't feel strong after 5 days. :eek: To them this was enough. Fortunately, they have great flood/wind insurance and once things are back in place they are selling their home and getting off the beach. In, time, in time.

Winds got up to 131 mph. 50" boats were in neighbors yards everywhere. A three deck high marina completely destroyed in their neighborhood.

To move a 38' sea worthy boat just 10' from where the storm left it back into the water it will cost $6,500 dollars. The cost goes way beyond homes that so many don't see when these storms hit. Also, a home in their neighborhood exploded from the wind surge and rain that lasted 6 hours because it was moving so slow. Wind damage to be expected but the slowness of the storm created so much flooding.

Et all, happy to bring my tools, 16" trailer, SideXSide, legs and arms to help clean up but the true spirit of America was in play as we are worked laboriously sun up to sun own. Two times trucks from churches delivered nice size coolers filled with ice, beverages with fruit and crackers with scripture on the lid to keep the faith. True kindness side of humanity. The community pulled together and only in the USA do you see this type if spirit where neighbors got closer and became more family like than neighbors when pulling together. Call it Devine intervention but my son in-law just purchased a 25HP diesel John deer equipment for some land they recently purchased north. He had all the attachments and that was a game changer to have it located north of the storm to bring it down to move debris and trash dump trash into my UTV.

Mother Nature is beautiful but can be ominous and one good thing she left for 5 days was unusually cool weather for us to work in.

There is silver lining in every cloud.

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
Wow, I hate to hit the "Like" button on this Tom but thanks for sharing this with us.
I am glad to hear everyone is safe.

For the material damage, good to know they had proper insurance.
Many do not and then they suffer even longer with the financial burden on top off the emotional and physical trauma.

Smart move, IMO, moving away from the beach.
Although it can be beautiful, when in the path of possible hurricanes, tornadoes, fault lines, etc, sometimes it is better to merely visit a beautiful place than to live there year-round.

God speed to all involved and kudos to you and all that helped each other.

Sincerely,
George

Reactions: TomOnTheRun

·
9,052 Posts
People don't … get it: "Mother nature is constantly trying to kill us." Great job Tom.

·
Registered
5,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Southern Alabama, I tell you 7pm curfew and the police down there you don't mess with. There was security as we all expect it to be. If you had out state plates you got pulled over after the initial two day entry to help. Caught multiple trucks from to be nameless states that had contraband. Saw it with out own eyes. Arrested and shut their sorry asses down. They were looting convince stores that we're shut down. Nice to see safety, security and order in a community.

·
Registered
5,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Glad to hear you are back safe and sound.
Lot of honor and courage in what you did.
FD
Thank you sir! Hope not to repeat that again. You always read of these calamities until it touches you.

·
Registered
5,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm back and ready to talk crossbows. Now what pot can I stir. :p

Reactions: Iron Duke

·
9,052 Posts

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
You did good Sir. Helping out after a severe storm is tough. BTDT. Back in ‘72, hurricane Agnes went through my home town. We had 14’ of water in our house. We gutted and rebuilt the whole house. It took about 1.5 years to complete. We were still seeing “flood mud” for years after the flood. The most important thing was that everybody was safe.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Tom it looks like you spent 5 great days of hard honest work that everyone you came in contact with will definitely appreciate. I know it was great to see the community come together from such a terrible storm. Looks like retirement days are keeping you busy.

·
Registered
5,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ain't dat da truth!
At 34 and 40 they are my kids. LOL.

I was fed well by my daughter! Earned a few nite caps before bed too. 🥩🥃

Reactions: Iron Duke

·
Registered
830 Posts
Kudos to TOTR. Something you will never forget and the kids will always remember the spirit of giving that you provided them in a time of need. It's what DADS do, most any man can be a Father....DADS are special people.

Reactions: TomOnTheRun
1 - 13 of 13 Posts