Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just asking people that have the scope or someone who has looked at them seriously I’m thinking about getting the custom turret and one of the questions they asked is what zero you want to go with 20 or 30 yard zero I’m not sure what way to go

·
Registered
852 Posts
I haven't used a Huskemaw specifically, but I've used many turret systems so just some thoughts on them in general.

Turrets are great for long range hunting, but here's the thing with using turrets when hunting at close range (let's say less than about 40 or 50yds). Since you're posting this on a crossbow forum, I assume this is a close range scenario. When you turn the turret to set for a particular distance, it makes clicking noise. They often take a lot of clicks too, and probably even more so for a crossbow which is way slower than a rifle. Not a big deal when your target animal is 200+ yds away. But if it's a deer that's 15, 20, or 30 yds in front of you, it will likely hear those clicks quite distinctly and then it's game over. Perhaps the Huskemaw has super quiet clicks...but I doubt it. Second problem is keeping track of your turret setting in low light situations. You pretty much need either good daylight or a flashlight to see where your turret is set since the hashes and numbers are so small. You'll likely change your setting multiple times during a hunt and it doesn't take long to forget where it is set to based on click count and you have to visually check. So that nice buck finally walks in right at last light. He's 20 yards in front of you. But you had changed the setting for something you had ranged 30 mins prior. Was it 30 clicks up, or was it 24? Or wait, wasn't it 12? And now at this point there's not enough light for you to see those hashes to check. Game over again.

It makes for a real tough hunt if you use them for close-in hunting. Maybe your goal is not close-in. But figured I would share.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't used a Huskemaw specifically, but I've used many turret systems so just some thoughts on them in general.

Turrets are great for long range hunting, but here's the thing with using turrets when hunting at close range (let's say less than about 40 or 50yds). Since you're posting this on a crossbow forum, I assume this is a close range scenario. When you turn the turret to set for a particular distance, it makes clicking noise. They often take a lot of clicks too, and probably even more so for a crossbow which is way slower than a rifle. Not a big deal when your target animal is 200+ yds away. But if it's a deer that's 15, 20, or 30 yds in front of you, it will likely hear those clicks quite distinctly and then it's game over. Perhaps the Huskemaw has super quiet clicks...but I doubt it. Second problem is keeping track of your turret setting in low light situations. You pretty much need either good daylight or a flashlight to see where your turret is set since the hashes and numbers are so small. You'll likely change your setting multiple times during a hunt and it doesn't take long to forget where it is set to based on click count and you have to visually check. So that nice buck finally walks in right at last light. He's 20 yards in front of you. But you had changed the setting for something you had ranged 30 mins prior. Was it 30 clicks up, or was it 24? Or wait, wasn't it 12? And now at this point there's not enough light for you to see those hashes to check. Game over again.

It makes for a real tough hunt if you use them for close-in hunting. Maybe your goal is not close-in. But figured I would share.
Thanks good info the turret clicks on the scope are pretty quite

·
Registered
717 Posts
I havent had a custom turret made yet, but took a strip of a Avery lable and wrapped it around mine, set zero at 30yds and marked 8 clicks up for 40yds and 12 more clicks for 50yds. That's with a 1moa turret.

Seeing the marks on the tape in the box blind at dusk was hard, I resorted to counting clicks. BTW, if you put a dental band over the screw under the cap, it deadens those clicks a bit more.

Bought one of these to try, but switched out to a BDX at last minute this year, but plan on going back to the Husky next year. New Iota Outdoors FIn Anti-cant 30 MM Turret and Level Illumination Device | eBay

·
Registered
18,378 Posts
I think it depends on what type hunting you will be doing. If hunting heavily wooded areas where long shots are rare I would set my zero at 20 yards. If hunting over open areas where you can shoot much longer distances I would set the zero at 30 yards. Where I hunt in NW GA the average deer kill is around 20 yards. My 2 longest bow kills with vertical bows and crossbows was 35 yards as I rarely hunt food plots and open fields. I could set it at 30 yards and use a little Kentucky yardage at 20 and 40 yards but all I would need to do that would be a standard rifle scope with a single reticle.

·
2,250 Posts
I use the vortex xbr and utilize the turret system for long range shots out to 60yards.

My zero is set at 30 yards. Vortex viper scopes come with customizable turret rotation stop shims.

Resetting back to zero is a breeze.

The clicking on the turret is smooth and barely audible on my scope.

I made my own yardage tape on a p touch machine.

Really glad I picked up the Vortex XBR when they were available.

Huskemaw looks like a solid scope as well. The only thing I don't like is it doesn't have a zoom feature. My old eyes appreciate the zoom feature for long distance shots.. :)

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I use the vortex xbr and utilize the turret system for long range shots out to 60yards.

My zero is set at 30 yards. Vortex viper scopes come with customizable turret rotation stop shims.

Resetting back to zero is a breeze.

The clicking on the turret is smooth and barely audible on my scope.

I made my own yardage tape on a p touch machine.

Really glad I picked up the Vortex XBR when they were available.

Huskemaw looks like a solid scope as well. The only thing I don't like is it doesn't have a zoom feature. My old eyes appreciate the zoom feature for long distance shots.. :)
Well thanks 😊 good info

1 - 7 of 7 Posts