Crossbow Nation banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
4,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since my 12.5” power stroke rail cracked, and Burky cut it back to 9.5, I have been imagining this project. Today ( after taking a doe this morning), I finally got to shoot it a bit. I bought a spare DTM forward riser this spring, and recently opened up the pockets for micro limbs. Having never dealt with Micro limbs before, I seriously underestimated the prestress and draw weight on the DTM riser. First time on the draw board gave me this surprise at 9.5”.

Bicycle accessory Measuring instrument Cable Gas Machine
Wood Rectangle Gas Electrical wiring Wire

·
4,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My next attempt at something realistic was to measure the draw weight at 8.5”. With these black limbs, it was #345. With a very nice pair of new type camo limbs (thanks, bbahunter), it was #347. More reasonable. I remember Jon Teater’s independent test of the Excal Micro Suppressor showed a #347 draw weight. I also thought about possibly having the 9/64” reflex machined out of the riser. If I could get the same draw weight at 1” longer power stroke, the performance should be at least a bit better. I also could use a stock I made two years ago for a bow I thought my wife might shoot (a few shots and that was it). I have some 3/16” sheet PVC, so I made a pair of tapered shims to defeat the riser reflex. That way I could see what the changs would be without paying for machine work that may not have produced the desired results. Finished the shims yesterday.

Luggage and bags Bag Strap Auto part Metal

·
4,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I don’t think the shims are a great permanent solution, but they did drop draw weight almost exactly the same as 1” less draw -down from 390 to 348#. (y) (y) I know machining the riser is better, and will better contain the limbs, but now I have a decent idea what that will do for the setup. Put the bow together and did a bit of shooting in the basement. Reasonably quiet, bit of a pop. Louder than my 355 SS, but not really loud, and very little vibe. Seems similar to the Micro Suppressor I had briefly this summer, but it is over 2# lighter. 31” long with the current stock. If I decide I like it enough, I’ll make a nicer stock for it. Seems quick enough, wont‘t have a real idea until I get to the range. This one may actually be too light for me to shoot well. 5.2# without scope, 6.2 with the old Horton along for the ride. Just more fun for a basement crossbow smith.;):D

Trigger Wood Gun barrel Air gun Gun accessory
Bicycle handlebar Lighting Line Wall Bicycle fork

·
4,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Did the typical range trip today. Wanted to see how it compares to my 355 SS, so I used the same scope and arrows 18” tapps with 110 dt inserts, 125 grain heads. Pre sighted in at 12 in my basement, first shot at 20 made me happy. The more I could find out in fewer shots ( and less cocking), the better! ;) Shot at 40, and it was dead on for elevation, so speed should be the same.:) Drifted left 2”, so the scope adjustment brought it in. Certainly shoots well enough. Now to see the value in it. With the same stock, this bow is 2 1/4” shorter. Uncocked, it’s 3” narrower, cocked its about 2 1/4” less. Weight difference is the weight of 2 1/4” of thin DTM rail. It probably would be a marginally nicer bow to have in the stand. The cost? A mere 80# in draw weight! This one is 348# @9.5”, the SS is 268# @11.75, much quieter. Rope cocking this one is doable, one of the things I wanted to find out today. Took 16 shots, not any real problem, but not exactly fun either. The SS I can pretty much cock in my sleep.;) At some point (not today), I will decide. Probably hunt with the Deathstalker the rest of this season anyway. This is interesting to me, but I’m close to just sticking with what has proven excellent for me, and experimenting with compound crossbows going forward.

Plant Automotive tire Road surface Water Asphalt
Shoe Plant Leaf Organism Mammal
Automotive tire Wood Motor vehicle Wheel Tire

·
Banned
Let's Go Hunting!
2,827 Posts
Sweet lookin rig you got their JoePA. Looks like it's a winner in the accuracy department too. The draw weight on Micro limbs is a bit of a pull. But man do I love the Micro's.
Take care
Oncebitten

·
Registered
15,334 Posts
Joe Pa...just curious...what could be made from an old school Vortex with the wide limbs?

Reactions: dynamo61

·
4,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Joe Pa...just curious...what could be made from an old school Vortex with the wide limbs?
Have you seen abwgtx’s thread about his Vixen 2? That would be the possible direction you might want to consider. That would be Matrix limbs and the Vortex (15.5”) rail cut back 2”. Of course, that would be pretty heavy draw weight (320# and up). My hybrid 380 is matrix limbs, forward riser, 12.5” power stroke, 290# draw. It’s only 34 1/8” long. The other, perhaps more sensible thing to do would be to sell the Vortex and put a bit more $ out to buy a used Matrix 355 or 380. ;)

Machine gun Wood Bicycle tire Air gun Motor vehicle

·
4,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jeff good looking bows! I have a DTM/Matrix bastard as well. Very cool set up that I believe you answered some questions when we were putting the odd ball together!
Thanks Tim. The hybrid 380 was given to me by bbahunter! I did put a DTM sniper trigger in it. Now have two sets of limbs for it so it should be pretty much a lifetime bow. (y) (y)

Brian convinced me to go ahead with this project. The riser will go to Burky after the new year to get the draw weight down around 350# or so. I will make a new stock with the English walnut I got at my friend’s wood business. Set it up for either a C2 or a CE silent crank I acquired.:)

·
Registered
8,621 Posts
Get the draw weight DOWN to 350..LMAO You'd better get a crank.Some would suggest when at the range with my crossbows the "crank" is shooting the bow! Best of luck ongoing! You & yours have a great holiday & stay safe.

·
4,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You too Tim.

·
4,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So, things are moving along. Burky has machined the riser to take out the reflex, and it’s on the way back East. (y) (y) Pic and draw board test when it arrives. Fletched up some15.5” 2219s for the bow. I will shoot it a bit when it gets together. In the meantime, I started the stock. For anyone bored enough to follow along, this is how I make a stock the easiest way I know. Had the template drawn up, then transferred to the wood, which is 5/4” English Walnut. It doesn’t look too figured, but there is some subtle stuff in there that will look nice when finished. I drill holes where I can rather than make a mess with my jig saw. A band saw would be nice, but I don’t have access. After the holes are drilled, finish cutting the stock “backbone” with the jig saw. Side plates will be glued on. First stock I did started with 3” walnut slab. Getting too old for that kind of work.;) With no tapering or rounding of any kind, it weighs 1.2#. Should get a bit lighter. Next thing will be to inlet for the C2.

Wood Beige Flooring Hardwood Rectangle
Wood Font Automotive exterior Auto part Metal
Wood Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Registered
59 Posts
So, things are moving along. Burky has machined the riser to take out the reflex, and it’s on the way back East. (y) (y) Pic and draw board test when it arrives. Fletched up some15.5” 2219s for the bow. I will shoot it a bit when it gets together. In the meantime, I started the stock. For anyone bored enough to follow along, this is how I make a stock the easiest way I know. Had the template drawn up, then transferred to the wood, which is 5/4” English Walnut. It doesn’t look too figured, but there is some subtle stuff in there that will look nice when finished. I drill holes where I can rather than make a mess with my jig saw. A band saw would be nice, but I don’t have access. After the holes are drilled, finish cutting the stock “backbone” with the jig saw. Side plates will be glued on. First stock I did started with 3” walnut slab. Getting too old for that kind of work.;) With no tapering or rounding of any kind, it weighs 1.2#. Should get a bit lighter. Next thing will be to inlet for the C2.

View attachment 216068 View attachment 216069 View attachment 216070
Amazing work Joe. I like it alot. Cant wait to see the final product.

·
4,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
So, I went outside before the winds got ridiculous today (20-35 mph), and got some progress. Belt sander, surform drum for drill, sanding drum for drill, a bit of hand work with surform, rasp, files. Coming along. A bit more filing after the pics, and the grip area is super comfortable. Rest of the shaping and sanding will be cosmetic. Not doing anything too close to where the side plates will glue on. I have to decide whether to use some of the last nicely figured black walnut, or order some thin English for the side plates. See what google turns up, I guess. Trued up the mounting area for the mainframe, ready to drill stock bolt holes. Still waiting in anticipation for the riser to be delivered. :) Half day of work is enough for me until the crud goes away. Rough shaped. Needs truing up, straightening, and smoothing out. More later.

I have absolutely no idea what is sensitive about the first pic. :rolleyes:

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content
Wood Grass Hand tool Tool Tape measure
Motor vehicle Tool Grass Automotive exterior Plant
Wood Plant Grass Automotive exterior Tints and shades

·
4,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The Burky’d riser showed up about 5:30. Put the standard shims and limbs on, then to the draw board. Within 4# of the tapered shims on the reflexed riser! Happy with that. It’s coming together. :)

Font Automotive exterior Wood Tints and shades Auto part
Wood Tints and shades Wire Electrical supply Metal
Gadget Measuring instrument Audio equipment Gas Font

·
4,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A little more progress. Couldn’t find wood I liked for side plates, so I will get the table saw out and cut them from the scrap left over.

Wood Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

1 - 20 of 29 Posts