Crossbow Nation banner

HYPERFLITE™ EVO 420, 285lb draw single limb, Hmmm

10K views 30 replies 10 participants last post by  bunnyrabbit 
#1 ·

See less See more
#2 ·
I'd let some time fly on this design. Not saying it won't work but it's a departure from normal.

285 lbs limbs.... WOW! That's recurve territory ;)

#9 ·
Here is what my Barnett Ghost 410 weighs and the equipment that it is set up with for a comparison.
Total weight with accessories: 10.7 pound.
Accessories:
Bushnell AR 223 3 x 12 x 40 Drop Zone scope with side parallax.
HHA Optimizer. A level bubble in the riser and an off set one on the scope.
4 each 1/16" plates with a total of 4 small stove bolts to re enforce the riser.
Arrow quiver bracket but the quiver is not attached.
Barnett Crank Cocking Device.
Two each Revelation limb dampeners, one on each side set tight to the riser.
Modified Ten Point String Dampening System.

Two major things Barnett had to do was: 1)get rid of their Carbonite riser system as fiber will not stand vibration or twisting. 2)up grade to stronger limbs or build them from a higher quality product.

Last year and what is shown so far this year: trying to keep up with competition by narrowing their crossbow width and last year shortening the limbs from 12 1/2" to 11 inch, they have defeated them selves as far as increasing speed.

Building crossbows lighter is nice for the owner, but by doing so, there can be weak spots created due to less strength.

All the best.

#17 ·
Here are a few explanations:
1)if one were to try and cock the crossbow by hand (no rope cocker) one would be pulling 285 pound.
2)using the rope cocker reduces the pull by possibly 1/2 which would be 143 pound.
3)using this style crank cocking system with the two gears mentioned: a)possibly makes for faster cranking, b)a two gear system reduces the effort required to crank the high draw weight crossbow because it uses a different gear ratio (two gears instead of one).

My Barnett Ghost 410's, Barnett Buck Commander BCXtreme 386 Ultra Lite and the 2018 Barnett Droptine STR all have 185 pound draw weight limbs. These crossbows are equipped with the Barnett Crank Cocking Device which states on the box it reduces the effort to cock the crossbow to 17 pound.
This is just a single drum system with a designated cocking string diameter. Over time, one of the string loops broke. I was unable to purchase a replacement string from Barnett, so I found a stronger one in a hardware but it was slightly larger in diameter. I installed it and when I had the crossbow approximately at the half way cocking position, it got very hard to crank. My first thought, was something failing on the crossbow. Checking, there was still lots of room on the spool to allow for more string.

I swapped back to the crank system with the proper size cocking string and no problem. What I found was going to the larger diameter cocking string changed the ratio of the crank cocking system, there fore making it harder to crank and cock the crossbow.
This works similar to up grading to a larger, stronger cable on a 12 volt winch (quad or truck mounted). The winch motor has to work harder as by changing cable size one has changed the ratio as to how the cable winds up as to what the winch was originally designed to for.

In regards to the hooks not fitting properly, check to see which position they are to be installed: facing down or facing up. Some crossbows may work either way even if they were meant to be installed a certain way. The reason I mention this is I recently received a Carbon Express X-Force Pile Driver 390 crossbow that has 185 pound draw weight limbs. On top of the rail-stock are labels stating to install the hooks "face down".

With my Barnett Crank Cocking Device, it is a sled unit where the hooks are joined with a rod and have to be installed face down.

All the best.

#18 ·
Here are he specs from Barnett's website:

HYPERFLITE™ EVO 420, Note: CCD built into the rail stock.
To me this is a recurve box that has cams. Quite different approach from what I've seen so far.

SPECS
Length 31.5-32.75
Weight 10.9
Axle to Axle (in) 9.3
Draw Weight (lbs) 285
Kinetic Energy (ft lbs) 149
Power Stroke (in) 14.25
Speed (fps)* 420: (Hyperflight Arrows weighing in at 404grain range)
Trigger Type TriggerTech

Reactions: JCAT
#20 ·
i don't get the reson behind the design,its expensive its heavy 10.3 lbs. ..285 lb. limbs just to get 420 ....we already have 400 plus bows with a lot less drawieght...just imagine you get a bow for 500bucks it shoots 400fps,you pay 1500 for a bow that shoots 420fps that means in one second the 1500 bow has gone 20 feet further big deal

#24 ·
for me,its about compact design and speed, and longevity,quality control,and safety,I really want to see the quiet cranking devices,and uncocking,hope I can figure a way to put a crank on my predator,even if that means customizing ,or just cleaning up the dipped finish to allow their crank,to fit and function as it was designed,
Bow Bow and arrow Scale model Vehicle

#28 ·
In the picture you have the bushing where the Barnett Crank Cocking Device fits. You need a place on each side to fasten the string anchors and also a place to install the ratchet safety device. With this system, the handle stays mounted.

I recently purchased a 2019 Carbon Express F-Force 390 Pile Driver that came with the crank cocking device shown in the enclosed picture. This is a silent cocking device. When the crossbow is partially cocked, one can stop and the safety prevents the system from unwinding.
Amazon lists this system.

The Carbon Express has a + in the butt end of the stock where this device fits. Once the crossbow is cocked, hold the release button and unwind approximately a turn to allow one to remove the hooks. The hooks face down. The handle is removable.
All the best.
Auto part Automotive exterior Automotive engine part Wheel

#31 ·
In reference to the picture of the Crank Cocking Device for the Carbon Express F-Force 390 Pile Driver I submitted in Post #28: when the hooks are fully extended, from the edge of the hook to the barrel of the device measures 28 1/2". One loses one inch between the barrel and where the device plugs into the stock. The string is one complete piece. Looking at the end of the spool section, the knot is on the inner side. From there, it comes out, through the pulley of the hook, back through the device and out through the opposite side. It passes through the second pulley and back into the device where it is knotted on the inner side of the other spool piece. The knots match for even cranking. This device is used with the hooks facing down as per the labels on the crossbow rail-stock.

The Barnett Crank Cocking Device uses two separate strings. One end is knotted in the spool, then comes out and through a pulley on the sled and back to an anchor spool on the side of the stock. The other side is set up the same. With this style, the hooks are joined with a rod (sled section) and face down. This device is easy to replace or install longer strings. On this device, the knots on the spool pieces must match to crank evenly. The spools only fit together one way as one pin that fits from one spool to the other is larger.

Measuring my Barnett Ghost 410, from the bowstring in the uncocked position to the back of the stock is 26 1/2". Barnett's Crank Cocking Device fits farther forward in the stock toward the trigger box. If the crossbow is tuned with advanced cams for increased speed in feet per second, like my Ghost 410, the bow string will be a bit closer to the trigger box (reducing the power stroke) as the axle to axle measurement will be less than what is suggested in the manual.

All the best.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.