Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Got a rear rack for my Ebike but didn鈥檛 like any of the options for mounting a basket for my backpack so I went with a front sissy basket. 馃槙 I cushioned the bracket that goes up against the fork. This will work.

The carrier to mount in my truck hitch will be here next week so transporting it to where I park for hunting will be a piece of cake.

Right now I think strapped over my shoulder is the best way to transport my crossbow.

IMG_0893.JPG

Registered
It has wheels, it'll get you there and back. I hope you don't plan on peddling that up many hills. I know that would burn me out for sure !

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
It has wheels, it'll get you there and back. I hope you don't plan on peddling that up many hills. I know that would burn me out for sure !
It鈥檚 has a torque assisted Yamaha mid drive electric motor with 9 gears. The torque assist has variable power depending on how much of the 4 assist settings you select.

Plus I can go slow or fast depending on how much power I apply in each of those 9 gears. The pedelec models like mine are also street legal.

I'd be 鈥 hesitant to strap a crossbow on my back in case you ever fall off the thing or it goes out from under you. Would certainly increase the potential for damage & injury. Basically why you're not supposed to climb a tree with a weapon on your back. :)

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
I'd be 鈥 hesitant to strap a crossbow on my back in case you ever fall off the thing or it goes out from under you. Would certainly increase the potential for damage & injury. Basically why you're not supposed to climb a tree with a weapon on your back. :)
I鈥檓 just a bit leery about securing a crossbow to my Ebike. Here鈥檚 someone鈥檚 way to transport it but it would have to absorb any bumps along the way - not sure if I鈥檇 want to subject my DS with the XBR and Vendetta to that type of abuse. At least my reverse limbs would be in the right direction!

I could always make another mount for my Grip Quiver and carry the quiver on top or the side of my rear rack. I鈥檝e got a little over 2 months to work it out. I鈥檝e got to get a headlight and tail light as well.

motoped.jpg
20170910_175953.jpg

Registered
It鈥檚 has a torque assisted Yamaha mid drive electric motor with 9 gears. The torque assist has variable power depending on how much of the 4 assist settings you select.

Plus I can go slow or fast depending on how much power I apply in each of those 9 gears. The pedelec models like mine are also street legal.
That would make it alot easier to get around on for sure .. I guess you could tow a cart with some weight in it also.... not a bad idea. You can get that to go where a truck can't.

Registered
I have carried my crossbow over my shoulder on my ebike for a few years now. I worry about carrying it open but usually I have it cased. I have strapped it to by bike but it sure takes a pounding. As does my gun.

Reactions: bbahunter

I鈥檓 just a bit leery about securing a crossbow to my Ebike. Here鈥檚 someone鈥檚 way to transport it but it would have to absorb any bumps along the way - not sure if I鈥檇 want to subject my DS with the XBR and Vendetta to that type of abuse. At least my reverse limbs would be in the right direction!

I could always make another mount for my Grip Quiver and carry the quiver on top or the side of my rear rack. I鈥檝e got a little over 2 months to work it out. I鈥檝e got to get a headlight and tail light as well.

View attachment 181592 View attachment 181593
Good points 鈥 with no rear shock absorber seems a lot of shock & vibration will come through the frame. You have a solid point that it could well beat the snot out of optics and/or their mounts. Unless you could swaddle the crossbow somehow, seems a secure sling would be the only option. How well does that front shock absorber work? Get the bow up front utilizing the shock absorber? The backpack over the solid rear end?

That moped thing looks pretty sharp, and functional to me. Looks like it has a lot more power?

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
Good points 鈥 with no rear shock absorber seems a lot of shock & vibration will come through the frame. You have a solid point that it could well beat the snot out of optics and/or their mounts. Unless you could swaddle the crossbow somehow, seems a secure sling would be the only option. How well does that front shock absorber work? Get the bow up front utilizing the shock absorber? The backpack over the solid rear end?

That moped thing looks pretty sharp, and functional to me. Looks like it has a lot more power?
While digesting all of the info I could before buying - it was said a rear shock system would be a pain if you wanted to haul a cart behind it (mine is what鈥檚 called a hardtail). Mine has front shock absorbers - I drove a fat tire rear hub drive without a front shock system, and off the side of the trail it beat the absolute crap out of me.

O the way home from the Cracker Barrel this morning I was trying to decide on which headlight I wanted to get, and all of a sudden I realized my backpack in the front basket is going to be in the way. I鈥檒l have to figure out a way to mount it on the front of the basket maybe - I don鈥檛 like the headlamp type that mounts on my head or hat. Plus I want some serious lumens !

While digesting all of the info I could before buying - it was said a rear shock system would be a pain if you wanted to haul a cart behind it (mine is what鈥檚 called a hardtail). Mine has front shock absorbers - I drove a fat tire rear hub drive without a front shock system, and off the side of the trail it beat the absolute crap out of me.

O the way home from the Cracker Barrel this morning I was trying to decide on which headlight I wanted to get, and all of a sudden I realized my backpack in the front basket is going to be in the way. I鈥檒l have to figure out a way to mount it on the front of the basket maybe - I don鈥檛 like the headlamp type that mounts on my head or hat. Plus I want some serious lumens !
I found 鈥 that I actually preferred running my Zebra or Thrunite headlamp instead of my 2000 Honda Rancher headlights. A lot more light, and the light where I wanted it from a higher angle. Better to see off the sides and better to see holes and obstructions.

Reactions: wildcatter

Registered
Plus I want some serious lumens !
On my newest bike the light is so bright, 1050 lumens, compared to my 1st bike, I used my "on my head" headlight to go in for turkey hunting. Like Duke said, the light goes where I want it and could use low beam.
On my 1st bike I jokeingly said it might keep me from getting hit, but still allow me to drive into a dark tree.

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
I found 鈥 that I actually preferred running my Zebra or Thrunite headlamp instead of my 2000 Honda Rancher headlights. A lot more light, and the light where I wanted it from a higher angle. Better to see off the sides and better to see holes and obstructions.
I assume the first one rather than the second one?

I鈥檓 also thinking of getting a handlebar extension with a cross tube where I could mount the flashlight higher off the handlebars.

I have 鈥 a TH10 and a TH30. Frankly I use them almost interchangeably. Keep one in the truck and one hanging near the house door. Zebralight in my grab & go backpack. I like a lot of light for finding carcasses and both Thrunite do the job. The Zebralight is a little smaller and lighter but the reality is they all toss plenty of light. Funny, I came across a "light tub" that we used to use for drive & shoot in my garage last week. Couple of headlamps along with the 12vt 3 million candlepower hand spotlights you had to plug into the "cigarette" lighter. The pre-LED headlamps back then were pathetically low illumination. 馃ぎ

Registered
Got a rear rack for my Ebike but didn鈥檛 like any of the options for mounting a basket for my backpack so I went with a front sissy basket. 馃槙 I cushioned the bracket that goes up against the fork. This will work.

The carrier to mount in my truck hitch will be here next week so transporting it to where I park for hunting will be a piece of cake.

Right now I think strapped over my shoulder is the best way to transport my crossbow.

View attachment 181570
TP,
My best advice to you is ditch the backpack.
I did that about 5 years ago and now just use a fanny pack. It's the last thing I put on over any clothing before going hunting and the first thing I take off after hunting. I also see some pics with crossbows mounted to bikes and cringe when I think what that might do to the scope.
Most electric bikes don't have rear suspension so you're just asking for trouble.
The compactness of a Ravin is very apparent when using an electric bike. Their soft case makes for a great backpack and everything you will need for hunting can be placed in that soft case. Snap the cross strap after putting it on your back and you can ride for miles with no worries about scope damage.

Speaking of miles, here's mine and my wife's bikes. We just went for another 15 mile trip this morning. Mine has 430 miles on the odometer now and her RAD step-thru will surpass 400 miles on the next trip.
To get in shape for hunting season, I bike every week on hilly ground to build up leg muscle and canoe every week on a large lake to build up arm strength. It's a heck of a lot better than going to a gym in my opinion.

Furthermore, the best thing about it for me is my better half is right beside or in front of me all the way.

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter #19
Nice bike BB1, I still have a fanny pack that I used elk hunting in Montana and Colorado - if I didn鈥檛 drink it or eat, I didn鈥檛 need to carry it! But in SE Michigan, I have a tendency to carry a lot more than I need in my Kelty lightweight pack (I also have a Slinger).

But I've decided to go in a different direction because I want to keep that front basket for the backpack. I have 2 Dereelight lights - a DBS V2 and a V3. The V2 is supposedly around 17,000 lux and the V3 has an aspherical lens at around 21,000 lux.

The V3 will paint a square patch on the school behind my house at 90 yards. I think it will almost light a fire with the right kind of kindling.

So I just ordered this handlebar extension to gain some height over the pack and I ordered 2 flashlight clamps that mount on this crossbar. I may get another bracket to mount my quiver on the rear rack but for now I鈥檓 planning on carrying the Deathstalker on my back while riding
02f5f7c0-5c29-4e3a-b185-f79d23f4e114_1.2a4b55028dbb3415bbe3be53ccd20169.jpeg
. We鈥檒l see how it goes.

Reactions: Iron Duke
1 - 20 of 33 Posts