Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 204 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I call BS on the KI speeds. I have the ripper 415 and out of the box it shot 395 fps with their bolts. I just bought a Speed 425. The dealer said it was right there it's fast. I asked if I could shoot it through his chronograph. He said no it was in the back and he would have to set it up on the range and there where people shooting and he didn't want to. So when I got home I shot it through my chronograph the highest speed was 402.5 fps. I called the dealer and told him what the bow was shooting, he said call customer support. So I did they said my chronograph was wrong, to sight the bow in and let him know what the speed ring on the scope says. I did well it wound up being 400 fps. Call the Customer support back and had to leave a voice message waited all day no call back. Call them back the next day told them what the speed setting was. They said send them the front end off of the bow back to them. I got it back last night, The notes from the tech said "bow shoots 405 through our chrono, 404 fps is within spec for this model" I have looked high and low but could not find and +/- for this bow. If any one has that I would love to see it. I put the bow back together shot it through the chronograph and it was 395.1 fps. Fyi my chronograph is made by Shooting Chrony Inc. Model F-1. I have checked it to two other chrono at two different Archery shop here in Roanoke va. with only 2 fps different's. I don't under stand how a new bow can shoot so slow. Any one want to buy a new Speed 425????

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
I recently acquired both a Brawler and a Boss 405, each rated at 400+, i chronoed Brawler with 425 grain Victory’s, first time thru was 360fps! Disappointing, but after some measuring, i found ATA was a bit wide, tuned bow for cam lean, tightened cables and strings with a few twists to get ATA to slightly under advertised and speed jumped to 380+ fps, about where it should be with an arrow thats some 50+ grains heavier than those supplied! I have found that many dealers do not take the time to properly tune crossbows before sending them out! Something simple, but a bit time consuming, and considering most people don’t have a press, let alone a chrono-no one seems to really care! Take it for what its worth!
Steve

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I never rely on quoted speeds from any manufacturer. But all have been able to give what they state. I'm sure a couple twist here and their can deliver that meaningless few feet per second you think matters with a hotter tune!

I personally have built arrows to slow down most bows I have,, even the little black one got a speed downgrade. It makes for a much more forgiving platform, accuracy and hunting ability kill, speed as I have said for decades is a by product, and totally overrated!

FACT: Even if you lose 10 or 15 fps, without a chronograph you will never see it inside 50 yards,,, as long as you are zeroed at 20 or 30 yards! Try it!

425 on the left set with 20 yard zero, and 410 fps on the left with 20 yard zero,,, fact is 1.1" drop from 20 yard zero difference in 15 fps, at 50 yards in either one, in an 8" kill zone thats a dead deer. the fact is 1.1" difference at 50 yards is less than most archers are capable of grouping at 50 yards. again try it and see, once the scope is set out to 20 yards is only less than .5" at any range, most in the 2 to 3 tenths, but shoot thu a chronograph and they think it really matters?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the info. I don't have a press, and don't know how to tune a crossbow. The KI dealer I went to was not a very honest person. I don't trust him. But I factory tech should have been able to do all that they didn't do a thing. It still only shoot 397.5 with there 388 gn bolt

·
Registered
6,646 Posts
Thank you for the info. I don't have a press, and don't know how to tune a crossbow. The KI dealer I went to was not a very honest person. I don't trust him. But I factory tech should have been able to do all that they didn't do a thing. It still only shoot 397.5 with there 388 gn bolt
I've had a bad experience with a local dealer near me also, they weren't a K.I. dealer but regardless, I understand where your coming from with this. I think these guys need attitude checks.... I felt the same, like he was withholding information or truth from me... In retrospect I'm glad about it now because it was one of the motivating factors that drove me to become my own string builder. Moral of the story, I guess, is make a positive out of it and learn what you can...

·
Registered
470 Posts
Most if not all inflate the speeds or they test them with lighest bolts available

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for all the reply's. But don't you think the factory tech should have checked all of the specs when they had it? Timing, ATA. I know that they all inflate the speeds, but 25 fps slower is a little high to me. The Field Archer said he got 421 fps with a 388 gn bolt on the on that KI sent him for testing. But I'm sure it was a specialty tuned bow for him. And another peson reported they got 415 to 417 fps. I would been very happy with that speed. Not 397.5 fps.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Don't get your underwear in a bunch. Almost all companies rig their speeds with very light arrows that no one would want to use. It's like steroid use. If one guy does it everyone else does to keep up.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
The truth is 95% of the Dealers n Tech's don't know how to tune the crossbows! Yes alot of Companies use lighter arrows for the speed war game. I don't buy a crossbow for the speed. It's the balance n fit to my body, lighter in weight n handling that i want. I will get a model n brand that fits my requirements. I also refuse to own a crossbow i can not let it down without having to shoot it!

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
Dishonesty in the speed ratings has been thrown out here many times. A standard fps with a 400 gn would be acceptable as that is considered by many to be as light as should be shot. It would not matter,they would lie anyway. There are only a few xbows that actually shoot advertised speeds without cam advance and custom strings and cables.

·
Registered
2017 Sliverado
232 Posts
My speed is around the same fps with 425 grain arrow. Is it the fastest and 425,no, but it's dead nuts at 60 yards. I haven't tried it farther bc I don't have anywhere to hunt where I would shoot it further. Ravin is the only bow I've heard of that will shoot as advertised so if it's that big of a deal go spend a few grand i guess 🤷🏻‍♂️. If 400 ain't enough speed then you need a rifle. But yes a bow straight from the factory should be in specs

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
I guess the thing is, these bows come prestrung from factory, and may sit for quite some time in the box-all of us realize the extreme pressure limbs put on strings and cables-its a given, for me anyway, that some tuning will be required to gain optimal performance-I wish more pro shops were aware and capable, but they are not!
Steve

·
Registered
58 Posts
My Excal Matrix 380 is on it's way back to Canada after trying all their suggestions to improve my speed. Shooting a 352gr arrow, the best it will do is 327 fps. I just purchased a new Bear Constrictor 410 and using the factory Truex bolts and 100gr tips, i can reach 404 fps about 2 out of 5 shots. The real kick is i bought my 7 year old grandson a Centerpoint Volt 300 for his birthday and it will shoot 298-304 fps all day long.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
My Excal Matrix 380 is on it's way back to Canada after trying all their suggestions to improve my speed. Shooting a 352gr arrow, the best it will do is 327 fps. I just purchased a new Bear Constrictor 410 and using the factory Truex bolts and 100gr tips, i can reach 404 fps about 2 out of 5 shots. The real kick is i bought my 7 year old grandson a Centerpoint Volt 300 for his birthday and it will shoot 298-304 fps all day long.
I would switch to moon nocks before those truex nocks cut your string.

1 - 20 of 204 Posts