Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was shooting the other day and, I watched exactly how I was loading arrows. No, I don't always load from the end and, 99.99% of the guys I know don't either. I was thinking there has to be a safer way. I work around hazardous machinery and, I wouldn't stick my fingers anywhere near one of our shears and, I realized that's exactly what I'm doing with crossbows. I did notice my index finger was on top of the arrow but, my other fingers tend to drop below the rail. I started to whip up some solutions. I eyeball it up 180 degrees from the cock vane and, there is just the right amount of hold to seat or unseat a Q nock on a string and come off the shaft easily. I call it the c-t digit saver and the prototypes work pretty good. Now to slim them down and make a one piece. I plan on snapping a bunch on my arrows by eyeing up the cock vane and, there is enough side to side clearance if your eye alignment is off the Q nock engaging the string will rotate everything in at the correct path. I figure if you shoot a bunch Murphy's law is a little closer to you.

The ? is would any of you guys use a loading device like this for target shooting? In using it I can still feel the Q nock snap in as if had your finger on the shaft. I guess by habit I always check the Q nock on the string before every shot anyway. In the past there have been unwanted crossbow discharges and, I'm sure it will continue in the future. Nothing is foolproof but, my fingers are now out of the danger zone.

This is the smallest one. It will hold much more weight than one of my downrigger locks and, still lifts off the shaft easily.

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
Real nice CT; If I shot a RDT bow I would get one in a minute. But I have to say that of all the different weapons I own the xbow is the only one that scares the hell out of me. I ALWAYS load my arrow from in front of the SDS and my body is nowhere near a limb.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Good point bobbyd1947-i get real paranoid when people talk to me while im shooting my xbow. Even more so if they ask to shoot it. I would rather them shoot any gun i own...of course they never seem to understand:/

CT- we all come up with some pretty cool stuff from time to time huh! But i cant seem to tell what makes that piece you built "grip" the arrow? And why are there 3 separate pieces?

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What I'm thinking is with any crossbow the string is the most to fear. 2nd would be those AV2's. They are pretty stout and at 400fps they would hurt some too. Here's a photo of what makes it work 240. The correct size and material thickness is what makes it work. It has a great horizontal sliding grip for sliding a arrow up or down the rail but, with a small vertical pressure it comes off the shaft easily. When I was building and fitting these I was saying to myself, YA this is going to work well for loading shafts. In the 2nd photo the big one on the right was my first test piece to see if it would work. I then started to make it smaller in different sizes to see how small I could make it with the same results. They are just the 3 different ones I made to date. I didn't have any round stock at hand so I used a old Lazer 4 for the shaft with Aerovane glue to hold them in. I think it's possible to make it just a stick if I can get the same material in round stock. You already trust this type of material every-time you cock your xbow. It is very strong. When I get the stick form done I will be happy to send you one to try 240.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Gilles. I think a small stick that fits in your pocket would be handy for shooting. Using it may make me notice more problems with a arrow before I shoot it. I may catch more split shafts or loose vanes before I see them fly off in my scope.lol I know I have some 5/8" round stock coming in at the shop for a job. If it works out I won't forget Bobby and yourself if your interested. It's only going to work if someone has the common sense to fear the "what if's" and, wants to use it.

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My plan is to build some working models and mail some to a few regulars on the site. I'll let their feedback drive it. I can set these up to run in a mill and, who knows maybe Jerry or Dorge may want to offer them. The only interest I have in building these is to offer a safe alternative to putting ones hand in harms way. I've never seen an item like this and, I posted about a year ago what I thought would be a good idea to load or unload an arrow. No-one ever built it so, I am.
c-t

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
crappie-tom said:
My plan is to build some working models and mail some to a few regulars on the site. I'll let their feedback drive it. I can set these up to run in a mill and, who knows maybe Jerry or Dorge may want to offer them. The only interest I have in building these is to offer a safe alternative to putting ones hand in harms way. I've never seen an item like this and, I posted about a year ago what I thought would be a good idea to load or unload an arrow. No-one ever built it so, I am.
c-t
CT. If the string happened to release on its own would it disengage from the holder.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I'd be interested in using one also. Those few seconds when I load the arrow and snap the nock in make me a bit nervous. I am always relieved when the process is complete and my fingers are clear.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Maybe I'm ignorant or just an optimist but I don't share the nervousness while loading my bow. I begin to get nervous when the arrow is loaded and ready to fly.

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
bobbyd1947 said:
CT. If the string happened to release on its own would it disengage from the holder.
Hi Bobby
That's the reason I angled the shaft you hold. Any small pressure up or down and it comes off. If the arrow did come forward that motion would cause a downward pressure by your hand and it comes off. When I load arrows I have to slide the handle as if I'm using my fingers on the arrow. Too much down pressure and it comes off so, it's a in-line sliding motion. Here's how I eye it up for loading in-line with the cock vane and a side view.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
That is awesome. I thought of building something myself, but yours seems pretty cool. I was going to try to use a small rubber piece that I had on my vertical that used to hold the arrow on the shelf when the fall away rest was down. I'm sure you must have seen them, if not I may be able to post a pic of one if I can find it.

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
bobbyd1947 said:
That is awesome. I thought of building something myself, but yours seems pretty cool. I was going to try to use a small rubber piece that I had on my vertical that used to hold the arrow on the shelf when the fall away rest was down. I'm sure you must have seen them, if not I may be able to post a pic of one if I can find it.
I'll send you one to try out Bobby when I'm done experimenting.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts