Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been hunting South Texas since March 1st and my hunting partner has tried to keep me from taking this old boar Javelina, saying I already had so many on the wall already, but Sunday morning, after seeing these troublesome beasts at every sitting at every stand for months now, I couldn't take it anymore! I shot him dead where he stood. I wanted to track, but it didn't happen. It was a poor shot I have to say, but the results were actually the best. I've never dropped an animal before with an arrow where it stood. I shot 3 or 4 inches to the right and hit him in the neck killing him instantly. He turned out to be a great Javelina to harvest, not just a good one. I'd rather be lucky than good.

Attachments

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Urban Legend said:
awsome. I want to come down and shoot hogs and javelina too. lucky
When you wanna come? Spring is best, fall is next. Winter sucks. Too many pows from guns during deer season. Summer is stinking hot and you have to work fast before the meat spoils.

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DaGriz said:
Hey GG
How about posting some info on your hog hunts? Cost? How many days? Where to travel to? Accomodations?
New ranches coming up. Right now, I don't guide for hogs as they are ALL mine! ha ha!
I do take people on buddy hunts where I sit you somewhere and I hunt myself close by, just in case. I have a really bad obsession with hogs. You can have all the deer you want as they don't really interest me. See? When I first started hunting, I was treed in the dark for @ 4 hours and that dam boar ran around the bottom of the tree showing real aggression. Scared, and tramatized me badly. While I was in the little tree, I had alot of time to think about what I was gonna do once someone missed me and rescued me. First, I would never forget my side arm in the truck again. I was determined to hunt down and kill every boar hog I could. That's why people call us to do hog removal. They know the deer and exotics are safe, and I'm determined to take the hogs out, and I don't mind at all sitting in the dark to wait on them to show up. Since, I've been chased several ties, and cut, but I love the rush of chasing them in the dark. My hunting parter, not so much since I was hurt.

I will start guiding hogs for clients soon as I'm waiting for a new ranch to get fired up after June. I have another ranch that lets me in for free, but charges for clients and I don't like the price. Then one more place in deep south Texas that charges reasonable, but I never have time to visit there. Bobcat and coyotes included and those are plentiful. Between hunting ourselves and guiding bow fishing right now, fishing in tournaments, and trying to keep our company (that pays the bills) rockin', there's just not enough time to do it all.
But soon. Here's the boar I told some on here I had a call on Saturday. We went in on Monday night at 10PM and had him down by 10:20 PM. Nasty boar! My camera was set on card and not film when we did the footage, so no
film and pics other than what the taxidermist sent me. Here it is. Big Russian and he weighed almost 300 lbs. The ranch owner insisted no chances with arrows and we had to use a 7mm semi auto. Oh, well. It earned me another 6 months of free hog hunts though.

Attachments

·
329 Posts
GG,

have you ever thought of LIVE-trapping any of these "removal pigs"???

up in my part of the state (N of Tyler), they are LIVE-trapped & sold into OK "on the hoof" for BIG $$$$$$$. (Okies will buy ANYthing! = chuckle.)

yours, texasnative46

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
texasnative46 said:
GG,

have you ever thought of LIVE-trapping any of these "removal pigs"???

up in my part of the state (N of Tyler), they are LIVE-trapped & sold into OK "on the hoof" for BIG $$$$$$$. (Okies will buy ANYthing! = chuckle.)

yours, texasnative46
Ah Ha Kimosabe,
Good question! Hogs are smart animals. So, if you set up a trap, you'll maybe catch some, but after the first time they experience a trap, forget it! You'll never get anymore hogs in that trap. Why we had to remove the above seen hog. They had a trap for months he had to squeeze by to get into the protein feed area surrounded by cattle panels, and they baited it with corn, soaked corn, cantelopes, water melons, peanuts, etc and they propped the door open too, but the ol' boy knew better than to go there. That's okay because then they have to call in THE HOG HUNTERS! giggling!

·
329 Posts
GG,

perhaps EasTexas hogs aren't as bright as South TX hogs????

at least two families from Titus & Franklin county are making their LIVING of trapping hogs!!! (fyi, i'm tempted to join them.)

yours, texasnative46

·
342 Posts
I love to hunt hogs, just do to the fact they are so smart.
Nice kill GG.:D

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Last weekend South

Well, I'll be packing up for the weekend to go chase hogs for the last time this year in South Texas at our lease. Then, we move closer to home here in the hill country. Hopefully, a MONSTER boar hog comes in and I get a good shot on him and he's easy to load since I don't have any help to drag out of the brush this weekend. I already brought my ATV's home and to another ranch, so he needs to drop quick! We don't want mama having a heart attack working too hard! Wish me luck boys! I'll film if its during daylight so I can share.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts