Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hunt in the air. The weather here called for rain in AM . I went to state land and waited for rain to let up. Set up a blind I got at a tag sale. Watched 4 deer at edge ofoaks at 70 yards . A doe padded my off side at 28 yards . I squoze the trigger. I waited 40 minutes and went to shot spot . Bloody shit in ground . I we t back to blind and waited 2 1/2 hours and began tracking . With times if no blood and going with gut instinct and praying for help I found her .I shot bow at home later. Dead nuts . I figured out the STUPID thing I did. Shot through the mesh with Mechanical. It opened when it hit the mesh.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Rit, you're a good, humble man, I can tell. It's good of you to pray, first of all, then find the deer, then come on here and admit to a mistake.....so we can all think of you in our blinds and never do the same!! LOL! Ooooops!

Great job, all around!!!! Grats and ya, stoked ya found her!!!
KTK

·
Registered
20 Posts
I hunt in the air. The weather here called for rain in AM . I went to state land and waited for rain to let up. Set up a blind I got at a tag sale. Watched 4 deer at edge ofoaks at 70 yards . A doe padded my off side at 28 yards . I squoze the trigger. I waited 40 minutes and went to shot spot . Bloody shit in ground . I we t back to blind and waited 2 1/2 hours and began tracking . With times if no blood and going with gut instinct and praying for help I found her .I shot bow at home later. Dead nuts . I figured out the STUPID thing I did. Shot through the mesh with Mechanical. It opened when it hit the mesh.
I once took a friend who was new to archery hunting. We were in a blind with burlap window coverings and he was shooting Rage Hypodermic heads. Dow was standing broadside at 20 yards, head turned to look directly at us. He elected to shoot through the covering. Arrow smashes into deer with a loud crunching sound, and she drops like a stone. I thought it was a spine shot. We got down to her and saw three he had missed his heart/lung shot by nearly 24”. Luckily for him, when the doe heard the arrow hit the burlap, she turned to run away and took a wild flying broadhead square to the back of the head.
E883891F-0472-4093-94FF-30B1B695D3AA.jpeg

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Rich , it is through our mistakes we learn , i bet you will not do that again,LOL.
Congrats on finding her and way to stick with it .
The good lord was with me last night and this morning , he is the greatest co pilot !!!!

·
1,554 Posts
Lessons learned we have all been there. One year i built a ground blind from some fence that was gave to me and camo tarp. I had my windows all cut out and ready it turned out really nice. I had built it to deer hunt from but it was spring gobbler season. I called up this nice gobbler i shot and heard the worst sound i thought the Excalibur blew up. Come to find out the broadhead hit the fence at the bottom of the window. I didn't allow for a close turkey and the distance between the scope and arrow. I wasn't long fixing that lol. And now even when i set up a pop up blind its one of the first things i check.

When i first started work for the Boilermakers a old man told me. The only guy that never makes a mistake is the guy that never does anything.

Congrats on your deer.

·
9,016 Posts
I often … wondered about that archery shot. A 40gr-55gr .223 varmint bullet, even a 36gr .22 subsonic rimfire instantly turns a brain to jelly and drops the deer where it stands. I've seen too many sensational X-ray photos of a poor soul with a piece of rebar or crowbar through his skull and still alive to make any conclusive results of an arrow into a deer skull. You'd think it would be an instantaneous humane dispatchment. I've also seen enough photos of deer running around with arrows stuck in their face to know it would be a target fraught with potential disaster written all over it.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Well Congrats Richard and, even though things went bad you still got her.

·
Registered
43 Posts
If we all admitted and wrote about our stupid mistakes on this thread it would be 50-100 pages long!! I could add a couple of pages just by myself. It is a great tribute to be able to laugh at ourselves. They make great stories too, to poke fun at yourself, unless your spouse is around and she agrees with the stupidity.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts