Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is my bow legal in my state? I have to know for sure. I don't want to be in my hunt and find out I get a ticket and can't hunt with my bow. Draw length has to be 14".

So, I talked to the local warden and i'm going to meet with him shortly. I'm not going to mention the draw length. I'm just going to show him the bow and ask him if it's legal. If he says yes i'm safe to use it and I doubt he'd be so unfair to change his mind during the hunt. I can also show him my disability license to use a crossbow in archery season so he won't stop me when i'm hunting.

I'm tired of worrying about this. I need to know and I will today.

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Is my bow legal in my state? I have to know for sure. I don't want to be in my hunt and find out I get a ticket and can't hunt with my bow. Draw length has to be 14".

So, I talked to the local warden and i'm going to meet with him shortly. I'm not going to mention the draw length. I'm just going to show him the bow and ask him if it's legal. If he says yes i'm safe to use it and I doubt he'd be so unfair to change his mind during the hunt. I can also show him my disability license to use a crossbow in archery season so he won't stop me when i'm hunting.

I'm tired of worrying about this. I need to know and I will today.
Good luck. Might take along a box of donuts and offer them one while you are discussing.

·
Registered
564 Posts
MN has some of the most stupid crossbow laws out there, but one thing they did do right was to add a Kinetic Energy requirement. Eliminates all questions of draw length, power stroke, etc. No a game warden isn't going to carry a chronograph and a scale around, but it's easy to look up specs on any crossbow model and find their speed shooting a certain weight arrow.

·
Registered
234 Posts
If he said the Bow is good to go,I would want it in writing and signed.

Reactions: dynamo61

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My worst fear is realized. I set the bow in front of him and said......Is it legal? He looked at for a minute then put it down and went back to his truck. He came back with a tape measure and measured the draw length. He says........Not legal. It's too short. I tried to argue that the law said to front of bow. He didn't go for it and said everybody knows it meant the front of the riser. I was counting on him not knowing about the draw length. I would have to get one who's a bow hunter. Well, he's the one that would be stopping me, so no sense in taking a chance. Bow is for sale.

I'm pissed but better to know now.

·
Premium Member
3,117 Posts
My worst fear is realized. I set the bow in front of him and said......Is it legal? He looked at for a minute then put it down and went back to his truck. He came back with a tape measure and measured the draw length. He says........Not legal. It's too short. I tried to argue that the law said to front of bow. He didn't go for it and said everybody knows it meant the front of the riser. I was counting on him not knowing about the draw length. I would have to get one who's a bow hunter. Well, he's the one that would be stopping me, so no sense in taking a chance. Bow is for sale.
I'm pissed but better to know now.
Truly sorry to hear that, Muley hunter.
Better safe than sorry.
Smart move on your part.
I am sure you will have no probs selling your xbow at a fair price.

Reactions: philztoy

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Yeah sorry that is a bummer. Good to know, still a bit of a heartbreaker.

Reactions: dynamo61

·
Registered
Excalibur Mag 340
149 Posts
Sorry to hear this Pete. Maybe you could work out a swap to someone for a bow with a bit more draw length?

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I thought of one more option. I can go over the pass to the next unit. It will be a different warden or maybe wardens. It's a big unit.

If I get stopped i'll play stupid and say the law says to the front of the bow. It is 14" to the front of the limbs. Just barely. It might work and as a bonus it's an easier unit to hunt and has a larger elk herd. I just don't know it well and it will take some hard hunting to find where the elk are. I'll forget deer hunting. Way too hard to get archery deer tags anyway.

I think that's my best plan.

·
Registered
13,922 Posts
"Ignorance is no excuse of the law". Ever heard that? Bite the bullet and sell it and buy another one. Hunt legal or you'll pay for it.

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Or bring a hot blond with you.
He would give her a pass. He might give you a warning.

I was in the middle of a swamp duck hunting a long time ago. 3 shots in the gun never more, after I realized I forgot to plug it for a duck hunt. Guys somewhere else in the swamp didn't like us being there and sent a warden buddy over that was hunting with them. Warden came over looked over our boat then our guns checked our ammo ruined our day. He was there hunting with his buddies and admitted I never shot more than three shots. Showed me how to plug gun with a stick, which we did, (I didn't think about that). Told us we weren't hunting properly per his buddies and ticketed me for an unplugged gun. I will never forget the nassholeryess of that bat rastard.

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
I would sell it or even see if your dealer will swap it for one that is legal. Not worth the risk.
Would hate to have them be jerks and decide the trophy elk you took should be confiscated because of an "illegal bow".

Reactions: Muley Hunter

·
Registered
Excalibur Mag 340
149 Posts
It’s not always the easiest thing and sometimes it sucks, but.......I say do the right thing Pete.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts