Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a Barnett raptor fx2. Ive noticed the rope cocker I use isn't cocking evenly based off the position of the serving when cocked. Not a drastic difference and not every time I cock it but I don't like it because I know there are more practical cocking devices out there.

I'm not installing a crank because the one for Barnetts are very poorly designed.

I have seen a couple sled style cockers by tenpoint horton and a couple random companies.

My question is does anyone know if any of these sled cockers will fit a barnett raptor fx2?

·
Registered
190 Posts
I recommend Excalibur’s rope cocker. It adjustable by making a knot on one side, cutting off the excess, and letting the knot recede into the handle. My cousin has a compound Xbox and he’s happy with this cocking aid. Good luck and regards.

·
Registered
6,578 Posts
Is the serving symmetrical before you cock it?

If so, find the exact center of your cocking rope and mark it. When you get ready to clock it, make sure the mark is in the middle of the cocking groove when you pull. Good luck.

Reactions: crossbowchris

·
Registered
510 Posts
I use the Barnett rope cocker that came with my Ghost 360. I adjusted the length like DrJuice mentioned and it pulls straight everytime. To double check, I made a mark with white out or auto touch up paint on each side of the serving by the side of the rail while the bow is in the relaxed position. When I cock the bow, the two white marks are still equally on the edge of the rail.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
crossbowchris: I have the Barnett Crank Cocking Device on 2 Barnett Ghost 410's and one Barnett Buck Commander BCXtreme 365 Ultra Lite. These crossbows have thousands of shots on this system, one Ghost 410 more than the others. I do a lot of target shooting.

Barnett came out with two different pulley configurations on the hook assembly. One set is horizontal (which you want). The other is vertical. My pulleys are all horizontal. The string section that winds onto the spools are placed next to the stock. If one string is not, just flip that pulley side over to properly align.

A few things to do when assembling: 1)Lube the bushing in the stock with a bit of Lithium grease. This will prevent squeaks when cranking. 2)The knots on the spools must match for the crank system to wind evenly. 3)Lube the string on this system once in a while, the same as you would your bow string. This keeps the string soft, reduces friction when cranking and the string will last longer. 4)Once in a while when I go to cock the crossbow, I just unwind the strings out to full length: for inspection and this will keep the strings winding in properly.

If using the ratchet safety, what I found is if you do over crank when cocking the crossbow, it is hard to release the small lever. One has to crank a bit and hold while moving this lever.
All the best with what ever you choose.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
crossbowchris: I have the Barnett Crank Cocking Device on 2 Barnett Ghost 410's and one Barnett Buck Commander BCXtreme 365 Ultra Lite. These crossbows have thousands of shots on this system, one Ghost 410 more than the others. I do a lot of target shooting.

Barnett came out with two different pulley configurations on the hook assembly. One set is horizontal (which you want). The other is vertical. My pulleys are all horizontal. The string section that winds onto the spools are placed next to the stock. If one string is not, just flip that pulley side over to properly align.

A few things to do when assembling: 1)Lube the bushing in the stock with a bit of Lithium grease. This will prevent squeaks when cranking. 2)The knots on the spools must match for the crank system to wind evenly. 3)Lube the string on this system once in a while, the same as you would your bow string. This keeps the string soft, reduces friction when cranking and the string will last longer. 4)Once in a while when I go to cock the crossbow, I just unwind the strings out to full length: for inspection and this will keep the strings winding in properly.

If using the ratchet safety, what I found is if you do over crank when cocking the crossbow, it is hard to release the small lever. One has to crank a bit and hold while moving this lever.
All the best with what ever you choose.
Any chance you know where to find the horizontal version? Kind of tough to tell from a website ad, but one of the local bow shops here might carry it. If not post a pic of yours so I can see what I need if you wouldnt mind.

Otherwise my rope cocker is adjusted properly, and tpcollins my serving is not exactly centered anyways so it does look crooked no matter what...but it changes by a wrap or 2 sometimes. My strings and cables are brand new so I haven't marked them yet primeduck but that was definitely my next step to make it easier to tell. And ill check out those brands soaringeagle.

Reactions: primeduck

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Check out the dr stirrup or Parker rope cockers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just went to the dr stirrup website and im going to go ahead and thank you before i order anything lmao

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Any chance you know where to find the horizontal version? Kind of tough to tell from a website ad, but one of the local bow shops here might carry it. If not post a pic of yours so I can see what I need if you wouldnt mind.

My three Barnett Crank Cocking Device were ordered on the internet. There is no indication on the box what configuration the pulleys would be. On the box it says: Designed by Barnett U.S.A. Made in China.

My other thought would be to contact Barnett to see if you could get them there, and if yes, have them check the box to make sure they are the horizontal configuration.
Here are a couple of pictures:
DSC_0021.JPG DSC_0022.JPG
As you can see, my crank string has wear. On this Ghost 410 which is shot more often than my other mentioned Ghost 410 and Barnett Buck Commander BCXtreme 365 Ultra Lite, this Ghost 410 has thousands of shots.

If your bow shop does carry the crank system, have them open the box to see what pulley configuration is in it.
All the best.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Barnett Crank Cocking Device.
Here is a picture of the vertical pulley configuration that you do not want. Picture taken off Ebay when doing a search for "Barnett Crank Cocking Device".
Barnett Crank Cocking Device.jpg
A member on a forum mentioned this style does not crank properly (maybe binding??).
All the best.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Barnett Crank Cocking Device.
Here is a picture of the vertical pulley configuration that you do not want. Picture taken off Ebay when doing a search for "Barnett Crank Cocking Device".
View attachment 129656
A member on a forum mentioned this style does not crank properly (maybe binding??).
All the best.
I can see the difference, makes sense with the direction of travel. Thanks a ton for the pics btw!

I saw a youtube video of a guy installing one (haven't rechecked to see if its the horizontal or vertical) but he also didn't like it because there was supposedly no spot to rest the sled when retracted fully. Just made it seem like they don't design the cranks for the fx/whitetail series.

I'm doing mostly range shooting as well, and have been in the prone with a bipod. I think this crank would be nice so I don't have to literally stand up aftee every shot. Treestand use is obviously a plus too.

You seem to like that 410 a lot...must be an great xbow to get 2 of them? Or you ran into an unpassable deal lol

I'm looking an upgrade around tax season. That mission sub1 has my heart so far, probably followed by maybe a ravin or scorpyd. Definitely weighing out all the options over the next few months.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
crossbowchris: the reason I ended up with two Ghost 410 was problems with my first one. Missing parts, poorly assembled but brand new in a factory stapled box. Problems arose between Barnett and the dealer as I purchased from the dealer on line, where no one physically met or new me. The second crossbow came supposedly new but the string had been well lubricated, but never installed on the crossbow. My feeling some one came to the dealer with problems and to help, the dealer swapped parts until the turned in one was repaired. Poor quality parts were used in the manufacture of this series. I up graded to better quality parts and built some of my own as some replacement parts were the same poor quality.
Living in central Canada, it takes three weeks shipping each way to Barnett in Florida, plus shop time. The one crossbow would have made seven trips if only making one repair each time.
Barnett notified me of their Canadian dealer, 1500 miles one way. If they did not have parts in stock, a further delay for them to order from Florida. Receiving some parts from the Canadian dealer, these were the same poor quality. Also very poor customer service in regard to "Contact Us".

Purchasing the Barnett Buck Commander BCXtreme 365 Ultra Lite, these are a higher quality than the Ghost 410, partly due to Barnett's experience with the Ghost 410. Many parts on the Buck Commander inter change with the Ghost 410. Because of this, when I found a chain store in Canada in late 2017 deeply discounting the Buck Commander to get rid of them, I bought one and liked it. I then bought two more of the same to be used for parts.

Viewing Barnett's part manual on the internet, many parts can not be sold to the consumer due to Barnett's safety policy. These show in red boxes. This is why I went and bought the extra crossbows to save down time and the high cost of shipping. I do all my own repair and tuning.

None of these crossbows were properly tuned, nor did they come close to shooting the advertised speed after deducting the extra weight in grains as per Barnett's 400 grain arrow-point combination formula.

Last fall, I shot quarter to dollar size spots on a target set at 90 yard with the crossbow mounted in a good quality rifle rest. Properly tuned these crossbows are deadly accurate. The Ghost 410 is modified and tuned to shoot well over Barnett's advertised 410 feet per second with their 400 grain arrow-point formula. Using lighter and shorter arrows, with cams on the crossbow advanced, for test purposes only, I have shot 15" 300 grain arrow-point combination arrows
at 503 feet per second.
Shooting a highly modified Buck Commander BCXtreme 365 Ultra Lite that was rated for 365 feet per second, I shot the same 15" 300 grain arrow at 496 feet per second.
All the best.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been using the BARNETT 17450 Crossbow Crank Cocking Device on my TenPoint crossbow that is a perfect fit for me, it works very well, I have been shooting since 2016 and till now I have not used much cocking devices but the one that I mentioned is the super good cocking deice but if you want other recommendations of cocking devices then you should consider one of the follows;
  1. Red Hot Deluxe Roller Cocker
  2. TenPoint Retractable Cocking Device

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hunting is my favorite hobby. As I am playing with multiples hunting gears from my childhood. I used a lot of hunting bows. But in the last year, I bought Killer Instinct MSCKI-1001. I am fully satisfied with this crossbow after buying this crossbow I didn't buy any other crossbow or compound bow. Before buying the crossbow I was quite confused to choose in different crossbow so finally, I found a website that is totally based on crossbow discussion where I came to the final decision and bought it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts