Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am incredibly new to the world of crossbows lol

So I accidentally dry fired my Whitetail Hunter Pro crossbow (long story) , and the string came off. So I figured okay what ever i'm going to restring it. I had no idea how to do it so I watched videos about it. I don't know much about crossbow terminology but I unscrewed the parts that are close to the stir up and the limbs popped off . Ill show a picture of what it looks like. What is the best course of action? I am very new to this stuff so sorry if I seem to be asking a stupid question.

·
275 Posts
the chances are your bow is funked . check the limbs if there is NO splintering you MAY have a chance . you will need a bow press make or buy .you need to assemble the bow ,compress the limbs with a bow press , then replace the strings if they are not damaged . If you have no idea about crossbows but understand mechanics and physics you may have a chance if you do not buy a new crossbow or take your funked crossbow to a someone who can fix it . you may be able buy the front end some place .

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Rigity: starting out to work on crossbows is a learning experience. Quite different from vertical compound in some areas. Thank fully you did not try to adjust or remove the limb bolts when the string and cables were still on. All that holds the limbs in the pockets is the tension on the string and cables. If these break, a good chance the limbs fly out of the limb pockets. You can check the limbs for minor cracks or splinters with a bright light and running a "Q" tip along the limbs. If they have a fault the "Q" tip will snag. Check that you have the four 1/2 moon pieces called limb rockers. These fit into the hollow of the riser (front end) and when the limbs are installed the "U" of the rocker fits on the limb. On installation I put a dab of Lithium grease (or similar) on the end of the limb that fits in the limb pocket. Another dab of grease goes on the rocker to help keep it in place when installing the limbs. This dab of grease helps to illiminate any squeaks when cocking or shooting the bow. Upon assembly you axle to axle measurement will have to be set close to the specification in the manual. The cams will have to be leveled and timed. Proper axle to axle measurement and cam timing will get the bow shooting close to the advertised speed using the Barnett's 400 grain arrow-point combination formula. For every 10 grains over Barnett's basic 400 grain formula, one loses 3 feet per second.
As mentioned, it would be best to take the bow to a shop or someone qualified to repair it and if possible stay and watch them for your own learning experience.
All the best.

·
Registered
9,717 Posts
Take the bow to a shop and have it looked over.Cracked limbs,bent or hairline cracked cams or possibly bent axles are all thing to have checked out.Hopefully all is good and you just need it pressed and new strings and cables installed.

Reactions: Gabowman

·
Registered
14,085 Posts
I agree with Stalker...have it checked looking for the things Stalker mentioned. It might cost you a few bucks but in the long run it might keep you from having further problems with it.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Never ever fool with the mechanics of a crossbow unless you are sure of what you are doing. This is a matter of life or limb. No pun intended.
....and thumbs and fingers and eyes and ...........!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts