Crossbow Nation banner

If you HAD to buy a 2021 Model today, which would it be?

• TenPoint Siege RS410

Votes: 24 22.2%
  • TenPoint Havoc RS440

Votes: 11 10.2%
  • TenPoint Havoc RS440 with Garmin XERO Scope/Rangefinder

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Excalibur TwinStrike

Votes: 12 11.1%
  • Swat X1

Votes: 32 29.6%
  • Ravin R500

Votes: 14 13.0%
  • Ravin R500E (Electric Cranker)

Votes: 8 7.4%
  • Ravin R18

Votes: 3 2.8%
81 - 100 of 125 Posts

·
9,766 Posts
I have to say that there is not a xbow on that survey I would remotely be interested in . They are all way too complicated in design. I simply do not trust the manufacturers in question to deliver a trouble free product at the price point they are selling them.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Interesting choices, I picked the Swat X1 out of those options. I had an original Swat and aside from some 'features' that didn't work well for my style, it was a great crossbow. This smaller version appears to have addressed most of what bothered me so I would gladly give it a try after hearing some real world feedback.

Really prefer a no nonsense, basic, Micro size light weight recurve that will shoot around 350 fps or slightly better. No cams, cables, built in cranks, takedown features to get out of tune. Inexpensive strings that last forever with new servings occasionally, 5 min string change with no press or rezero required, 10 min limb changes.

I have absolutely no need or desire for a super fast crossbow and that is anything over 400 fps IMO. Just not worth all the baggage that comes with it. I guess if my game was to stack up as many deer as possible the speed might give me a few percent increase in body count but for me there's no need to kill every animal that walks by. If it's too far for a 300-350 fps bow I'll just wait until tomorrow. I like to eat venison again so one nice deer or a couple 125 lb does are pretty easy to come by in the time I put in. Target shooting 100+ shots in an afternoon is a lot more fun with lighter draw bows and watching an arrow drop into a target at 100yds from a high angle isn't THAT much different with an extra 100fps.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Have you experienced longer range extreme accuracy out of a Ravin? With an expandible BH?
I don‘t own a Ravin. Informations about accuracy and issues I got from this forum. Also I have no experiences with broadheads.
Shooting only Field tips and practice target shooting. Therefore I have experiences with long distances with Scorpyd and Excalibur. So, comparing these Brands Ravin looks like a good choice for me. BTW DS400 and Axe are hard to beat.

·
Registered
105 Posts
What is complicated about the X1? Of course, some Excaliburs are less complicated than the simpliest compounds. Then you’d have to go to a spear.
The X1 is very simple.
Maybe I need to buy a double rifle as well ?:) A company that prides itself on simplicity(Excalibur) would go to that extreme is just baffling.

·
5,031 Posts
KI is a comparatively new company as far as taking a design and bringing it into production from the ground up.

Their first was the SWAT which is a classic crossbow and an incredible value. The pivot bolt problem was highly publicized and apparently affected a significant # of the original SWATs(not mine with well over 2,000 shots and still on the same S&Cs, and limb bolts).

Maybe KI got too confident, because the SWAT XP didn’t enjoy such success. It had design deficiencies plus poor S&Cs. It was extremely fast, incredibly accurate but ate servings; and the limbs had problems. However, the limb problems were less than 3 major, highly respected brands of crossbows. New cables which very slightly detuned the bow and that had much better serving, largely corrected the XP’s limb and S&C’s problems. But, its hard to make a good second, first impression. The Corvair and Fiero are classic examples: disasterous first years, class acts by the last year’s of production. Still the model’s fate was sealed from near the beginning. Testing on the public may look good to the pencil pushers but not to the public.

I admire KI’s intense desire to continue to improve. They have taken every issue with the XP, addressed it, plus a number of areas not even previously addressed publically and tried to not only correct every one of those but added a # of very innovative improvements. Simple is good . The very gentle but highly efficient cams may be the greatest innovation. Letoff near arrow release plus 50% letoff at full draw makes for extreme gentleness, quietness, less serving wear and longivity. Keep in mind that this sub-25” crossbow is shooting full sized 20” arrows (compliments of the patented rear latching mechanism) verses the 16“ - 16 1/2” arrows of most other ultra compact crossbows.

I still have confidence that third time’s charm.

·
Registered
Excalibur Micro 360 TD PRO
86 Posts
..and had one day to hunt and you spent half of that day driving to an archery shop because your crossbow was separating the serving or just plain shredding the serving or a limb broke. That would suck.
Precisely why I chose to buy an Excalibur crossbow, I read review after review going back years and it appears to be the most reliable crossbows w/ the best warranty in the industry.

Less moving parts usually means less things can fail.

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
...However, the limb problems were less than 3 major, highly respected brands of crossbows...
Keep in mind that this sub-25” crossbow is shooting full sized 20” arrows (compliments of the patented rear latching mechanism) verses the 16“ - 16 1/2” arrows of most other ultra compact crossbows..
I would guess the Swat XP sales were hundreds of units less than any one of either TenPoint, Ravin or Excalibur.
The new Ravins shoot 20" arrows.
Just sayin'...

·
9,766 Posts
Maybe I need to buy a double rifle as well ?:) A company that prides itself on simplicity(Excalibur) would go to that extreme is just baffling.
Simple ... is out this year ...lol The year 2020 was the death of "simple." ;)

Reactions: Gab and JOE PA

·
Happy Member
5,758 Posts
I would guess the Swat XP sales were hundreds of units less than any one of either TenPoint, Ravin or Excalibur.
The new Ravins shoot 20" arrows.
Just sayin'...
I'm sure they sold a few thousand compared to the millions that the big three sold!

Sent from my iPhone 12 Pro Max using Tapatalk

Reactions: dynamo61

·
5,031 Posts
I held the Twinbow 2 days ago. 358#/340’/sec 350g arrow isn’t very exciting to me. Plus, its a bit heavy. May press to test some states’ DNRs. The engineering, very impressive. Kind of like a “proof of concept” attempt.

Nurso,
I have an Aculeus 460 and one remaining Excal, a BD400. I‘ve shot both extensively at 80-100 yards. With good rests, optics, arrows, shooting technics, conditions, etc, consistent 1“ - 1 1/2” 6-shot groups are obtainable. The Aculeus, more than the BD400. Note: if very heavy, high foc arrows (~500g) are used, these groups are easier to obtain.

The Ravin, with its historically marginal trigger, no rail, might struggle for actual accuracy that good. But, I don’t know. Have only shot the R26 and 29 at 20 yards, in a building. My ears are still ringing from the R29.

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
I'm sure they sold a few thousand compared to the millions that the big three sold!
LOLOL!
I'm sure they wish they could sell that many.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am in the market for a new crossbow this year. Been hunting with a xbow for the past 4 years. I picked up a Barnett Ghost originally, its done me well, taken 4 shots with it, 3 nice bucks and a yote.
I’ve been waiting for a mid range RXB, The Siege has my vote. Most of the stands I hunt are in the thick stuff, shots are 45 and in. I really don’t think I would gain any advantage using anything faster, unless 500 fps arrows can blow thru trees.

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
As of 1pm Wed, Jan.13, the Swat X1 is still leading the TenPoint Siege.
But, the lead has dropped to 9% instead of the 13% it was 15 hours ago.

Reactions: Iron Duke

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
double post...

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Not one issue with the 16's out of my Siege with over 200 shots. With the Sig BDX mounted I have shot 5" groups to 125 yards. I shot 20's out of the same bow with excellent results as well. Both being 400 grains total. However, I also found that they are not cheap if you don't investigate alternatives.

One element we may be overlooking past the pretty paint job is the customer service. A person should buy whatever tickles their fancy, just be sure the person from the manufacture on the other end of the phone call, or voice mail, is responsive when things go bad.

What a great country we have that permits us to have all these real cool weapons. All we need to do now is figure out which one's the DNR will permit to be used for hunting. I would surely drop a dime to the DNR and ask before a person opens their wallet. Just say'n

81 - 100 of 125 Posts