Crossbow Nation banner

if you wanna shoot 100 yards, get a rifle!

10K views 214 replies 53 participants last post by  Bobw67 
#1 ·
Target or 3d shooting sure but it really bothers me when people hunt at super long distances. (Not talking about in the west)

#51 ·
Well then consider me abnormal I have shot many animals at that range(y);)

#3 ·
LOL ... "Not talking about in the west?" Do ethics somehow mutate once you cross the Mississippi??? Do lousy shooters from down east somehow transform into so may William Tells once they get to Wyoming? :rolleyes: o_O Why would a hundred yard shot in Connecticut be terrible but a guy taking the same shot in Oklahoma is okay with you? I don't follow the logic. :unsure:

#4 ·
As always Duke, well stated.
To add to that statement why are people weighing in on the natural inborn freedoms of others? I may not choose to take a shot at an animal or a target over a certain distance under less than ideal circumstances, but that’s my prerogative as an adult. What I have no tolerance for is other people who would try to affect my right to make those choices.

#7 ·
Makes ... perfect sense. But "sport" hunting is about challenges. The greater the challenge the more possibility of less-than-ideal results. It's an honor system. Each hunter is supposed to know his limitations. But, who ever gets better without leaving his comfort zone? Now "trophy fees" and "wounding fees" are predicated on those animals having monetary value. Wound a $5,000.00 animal and it's costing that outfitter $5,000.00 for an animal his next client/hunter would be paying for. 99% of hunting is just the cost of your license. A guy with equipment and experience to 50 yards takes a 60 yard shot. Is he unethical? Or, just stretching his skill to the next distance? I understand your point because I have "wounding fees" in most of the hunting I do. The fee is a possible media debacle. I haven't shot a deer passed 45 yards in about 5 years now...lol I HAVE shot them passed 100 yards ... with a rifle. :p ;)
Font Poster Technology Electronic device Art
Happy Gesture Font Finger Adaptation

#16 ·
I think i answered the question of getting fined for wounding game the last time you ask. But maybe not :). My max distance is 60 yards. I know my abilities and the bows abilities and i have been killing deer with a sharp stick for 47 years. I put the cost of guilt for wounding a deer above what money might go out of my pocket. But i'd probably put a few hunters in the nervous hospital watching me wait on a good shot.

I understand your point and don't disagree with you. Most of my shots are in the 30ish to 40 ish yard range.

But yeah if that $5000 Buck was standing out there at 60 yards. I was in my blind with my rest and ranged him and dialed the yardage on the optimiser. Id drop the string on him in a heartbeat.

#23 ·
Not in person no. Im new to xbow, this will be my first season with one. I was a trad guy before my car wreck and coma. The only way i can get out in the woods now is the xbow, i did attempt compound verticals but i didnt care for them and the local shop here only carries micro excals so i have a blackhawk 360. I am 29 if that matters

#26 ·
In non-hunting season and situations, I enjoy shooting long distance. I compete against myself in the privacy of my farm. Very enjoyable to tune my crossbows, build my arrows and shoot targets at multiple ranges in various weather conditions. All this prepares me for any hunting shot made available to me. Preparing the Indian for hunting season is very enjoyable. Shoot whatever distance you have practiced and have a high degree of confidence in a perfect shot. On a live animal that is capable of moving at any second, all the practice will not keep the target from moving. 50 yards max.

#27 ·
I do not dictate to anyone but my 10 year old daughter what distance is ethical. Some places like fields or open hardwoods offer long shots if you are capable. In thick woods you might only get a shot at 15 yards. A deer is more apt to jump the string at 20 yards than at 70 yards. I shoot woodchucks with my Velocity at over 70 yards quite often.

#29 ·
You will find that peoples ethic will change depending on whether they like a certain animal or not. Example a guy may say to you how dare you shoot at a deer at 80 yards but its ok to shoot a coyote or groundhog at that distance or beyond, Me I shoot at what I'm comfortable with. I am the one who has to deal with the bad feeling if I wound any animal. I do not like wounding any animals whether I like the species or not I always want a humane kill. Unfortunately that don't always happen

#36 ·
Iron duke, I just think we’re better shots out west here :giggle: I am teasing. I’m sure most you guys would out shoot me. Like I have said before on other posts of this nature. My goal is to see how close I can get. I personally don’t take shots over 50ish yards. But with that said, If somebody is confident and proficient at ranges over 60 yards who am I to say what they do.

#37 ·
I really believe that very few folks really have the knowledge of waht goes into a long range shot.
Especially out side of these forums.
Even with no wind and a rock solid target it takes allot to put down good groups past 60 yards.
It requires a very good arrow, good trigger, a good rest and then a guy that can manage the shot
correctly.
Think I am wrong....? Head out to do some 80 or 90 yards gruop shooting, like a 5 arrow gruops and you
will see where your at and how much work is left to do. Its like a never ending project, this is the part folks dont get and think they can just fling a few at deer at 80 yards. They have not even tried thier Broadheads yet and wont, because of cost.
It takes time with your equipment to be a good shot a long ranges.
I always think i am tuned in till reach out with a few more arrow and at longer ranges.

Then you get that far and crazy enough ........ :unsure: your point of impact changed just a little from 3 weeks ago........

#58 ·
As you correctly stated, most people don’t have a clue as to what it takes to be accurate at distances over 80 yards with a crossbow. What most people fail to understand is the fact that even if you have your distance settings down pat and you’re bench rested and we’ll tuned on a perfectly still day the trajectory of your arrows vertical trajectory is affected by the outside temperatures of the day. As temperatures rise the viscosity of the air thins. The thinner the air the farther your arrows will fly before begin to drop. A 10 degree rise or fall will cost you inches of vertical movement on the face of your target at longer distances.

This is just one example of knowledge and skill required of distance shooters. I could go much further and talk about the effects of Canting even the slightest amount as distances increase, but I’ll hold on that and assume you understand my points.

That said, none of these things are reasons not to shoot at longer distances if you choose to. How else did you think you were going to develop the skill sets and knowledge to do it well? Even worse if you choose to set limitations for yourself after understanding all the variables that’s completely acceptable and understandable.

What’s never acceptable is to impose your own limitations on others. I spent many years of my life as a competitive shooter in the field of archery. As such, if I had listened to the restrictions and limitations suggested by others I’d have never succeeded in winning competitions. To be a consistent shooter it requires constant shooting practice and tuning of your equipment. You can’t be afraid to continually stretch the difficulty factors until you become confident and comfortable with them. Nobody knows or understands what you’re capable of better than yourself.

#42 ·
I would agree that with faster FPS bows, the longer range accuracies are possible. However, accomplishing long range shots can be determined two ways.
#1 - What is the crossbow capable of in optimum conditions?
#2 - What is the shooter capable of hunting conditions?

I will still stand by that most shooters in hunting situations and with their crossbow capabilities are a max 40 to maybe 50 yards killing shots.
shooting beyond 50 yards is not only pulling the trigger but crossing your fingers at the same time. ;)

#59 ·
I would agree that with faster FPS bows, the longer range accuracies are possible. However, accomplishing long range shots can be determined two ways.
#1 - What is the crossbow capable of in optimum conditions?
#2 - What is the shooter capable of hunting conditions?

I will still stand by that most shooters in hunting situations and with their crossbow capabilities are a max 40 to maybe 50 yards killing shots.
shooting beyond 50 yards is not only pulling the trigger but crossing your fingers at the same time. ;)
The single biggest factor which makes your statements completely true is the fact that the vast majority of hunters are totally undisciplined, unpracticed beginners. I use the term beginners because the vast majority pick up their crossbows a month before the season rolls around and go to a field or a range and shoot a couple dozen arrows to make sure they can hit their target at short ranges and think they’re ready.

The concept of shooting consistently 3 or more times a week several months a year at every distance between 10 and 100 yards never even occurred to them. They have zero idea about actually learning to shoot. For this reason I wouldn’t actually put them into a class of what I consider shooters to be.

Some of these people may be hunters because for many people who hunt practicing regularly is not a thing. For shooters hunting is a short time thing that only rolls around once a year for a few weeks, but shooting is a constant.

#43 ·
I feel qualified to lay out some logic as I presently hunt pretty much only in the west. Used to do the same with a vertical bow when my shoulder wasn’t paper thin from 3 rotator surgeries. I prefer as fast a crossbow as possible so I can take my arrow weight up with it. My shots are typically from 35-60 yards max and the key is putting the animal down as quick as possible with a large expandable BH with a large cut. Total penetration with an exit hole is critical on big Mule Deer as their extremely tough. Just because I have a high end, high speed crossbow doesn’t mean I’m flinging arrows at 70-100 yards. However,……I always practice long cuz I think it makes me a much better hunter with tremendous confidence to make that 50-60 yard shot when stalking a Mule Deer and running out of cover. Typically my shot is off a bipod or tripod to give me the optimum accuracy needed, plus I’ll never shoot at an animal that is wary or suspects something not right. I’ve never subscribed to a “meet your next rifle” philosophy with a crossbow when hunting but shooting out to 100 yards on my target range and getting the utmost in accuracy be it 1 arrow or 5 gives me challenge and a great feeling. I’ll never feel bad about purchasing a fast crossbow although even close friends may question my sanity. To each his own if we stay within our limitations and remain ethical about our shots.

#47 ·
😴😴😴

Reactions: Dirt fahmah
#48 ·
2 years ago
My son 13 years old shot at a deer 84 yards I was with him and filmed it.
My daughter 15 years old shot at a deer 76yards I was with her and filmed it.
My wife I will not say her age shot at a deer just over 60 yards my son was with her no filming.
I do not think I shot at any that year I cant remember

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.