Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
20 Posts
Infrared cameras

No info yet, but I hope to be getting one real soon and will let you know how it works out.

·
20 Posts
Infrared cameras

No info yet, but I hope to be getting one real soon and will let you know how it works out. Feeeling fenced in lately at work, need to get out in the woods and see what is moving around out there. It is only 4 months until bow season for whitetails kicks in, and i want to be on top of my herd.

·
85 Posts
Jeff,
If you`re interested in a infrared home brew, you can go over to Real Deal Hunting Chat an I`m sure you can get some help there.Since I`ve started building my own,I seldom use my Leaf Rivers anymore. Can I ask why you`re interested in a infrared cam and not a white flash?

·
175 Posts
I can tell you about my first experience with a game camera as there is both good and bad.

First, the bad: I received a Bushnell 2.1 Trail Scout Pro on April 9th for my birthday. This camera originally sold for over $300.00 at a local Bass Pro although it was on a closeout when it was bought and only cost $150.00. It is capable of taking both IR or white flash, has a remote so you can take your own photos or use it to locate your camera, an sd card included and a couple of other goodies thrown in. It worked for exactly two days or at least the IR flash did. The white flash never did work and then the IR flash quit working. It did take some photos during the daylight hours that came out and the color was just o.k. However, there were some bee's flying around it and it did take a photo of them in flight and they looked pretty good. I took the camera back to the Bass Pro but they did not have any more of them so they sent it back to Bushnell for me. Bushnell received it on April 18 and I received a post card from them stating it would be repaired or replaced within 3 to 4 weeks. I figured it should be back no later than May 18th allowing the entire 4 weeks they gave. They gave me a tracking number and I kept checking the website for updates and all it has ever said was "replacement item on order". So I made a phone call on May 30th and at first got a recording stating my camera had been shipped even though the website still showed "replacement item on order". I finally got in touch with a live person and explained to her my situation. She put me on hold for quite awhile but when she got back to me with an answer I guess you can call it good with a little bad thrown in.

The good? Due to my wait, Bushnell is going to replace it with a new model that is capable of taking photos in 3, 5, or 7 megapixels; your choice. It has an internal filter that switches automatically from white flash to IR where the 2.1 you had to manually remove the filter depending on what flash you used. This camera also has a game calling device attached and they are adding an additional bracket along with a solar charger. The lady gave me the item numbers to check online about them and from looking at various websites I figure I'm getting a little over $400.00 in return for my wait on a item that only cost $150.00

Now the little bad thrown it: They do not have any of these cameras available at this time and it will be late June or early July before I receive one.

As far as white flash versus IR, I'm not sure if that debate will ever be settled as there are those who say the white flash spook deer and there are those that say it doesn't.

·
Administrator
6,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
blue heeler said:
Jeff,
If you`re interested in a infrared home brew, you can go over to Real Deal Hunting Chat an I`m sure you can get some help there.Since I`ve started building my own,I seldom use my Leaf Rivers anymore. Can I ask why you`re interested in a infrared cam and not a white flash?
I have used trail cameras for about eight years now, first with the 35mm and then digital. I have had great success and very few problem over the years with my cameras. I have wondered about the flash spooking the deer or not. There have been many times I get a picture of the same buck 20 times throughout the season (I'm guessing the flash didn't effect him.) I have also gotten only 1 pic of different bucks a year. (Don't know if thet were spooked or if they were deer just passing through.) I just wanted to try an IR to see how they work. I also want to check out the video fetures on these cameras too. I work for one of the shows on the Outdoor Channel and it would be great to get some early season video from a trail cam and thee kill the deer later in the year. Makes for a good story.

·
85 Posts
Jeff,

Don`t know too much about the video end of the homebrews,but the P-32IR will take 15sec movie clips. Both Hags House and Real Deal have folks that will find you what you need. They are good people and not only will help with homebrews,but can give advice on buying a commercial cam as well.
I use both the 3.2mp in IR and the 6mp in white flash and don`t really see a difference in the deers reaction. But this is an on going subject in the trail cam world. Lots depend on the amount of pressure,the availability of food and water,and amount of deer in any one given area. Just my opinion.

Paul

1 - 9 of 9 Posts