Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Hunter
6,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard on pretty good authority that some of the Newer Crossbows like the Phantom and Desert Stryker,maybe others are Illegal for Hunting in the state of Illinois.
Seems they are not wide enough Axel to axel.
This sounds ridiculous,what is the reasoning?
Has this always been in effect?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hey Specialized, this is what the Illinois DNR states about crossbow equipment requirements.

http://dnr.state.il.us/legal/adopted/760.pdf

Section 760.21 Crossbow Equipment Requirements
Crossbows used in hunting shall meet all of the following specifications:
a) have a minimum peak draw weight of 125 pounds and a maximum peak draw weight of 200 pounds;
B) have a minimum limb width of 24 inches and a minimum overall length (from butt of stock to front of limbs) of 24 inches;
c) have a working safety;
d) be used with bolts or arrows of not less than 14 inches in length (not including point) with a broadhead. Broadheads may have fixed or expandable blades, but

FEBRUARY 25, 2008 17 ILL. ADM. CODE CH. I, SEC. 760
they must be a minimum 7/8 inch diameter when fully opened. Broadheads with fixed blade must be metal or flint-, chert- or obsidian-napped; broadheads with expandable blades must be metal. All other bows and arrows, including electronic arrow tracking devices utilizing radio telemetry, are illegal; and
e) In accordance with 17 Ill. Adm. Code 530, flu flu arrows must be used on State-owned and -managed hunting areas for the taking of upland game.

The Desert Stryker would be illegal because it is only 18 1/4 axle to axle. The Phantom made it with no room to spare. The Phantom has two 12 inch limbs.

I also noticed the crossbow's max weight is 200 lbs. That puts a couple of Excaliburs on the chopping block right there.

I do not understand it.

·
Hunter
6,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for confirmation

My Desert Stryker would not be legal in Illinois!B)
Will stay in Indiana.

·
Hunter
6,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Illinois

I just talked to a hunter buddy of mine who Xbow hunts in Illinois.

He advises the reason the restrictions about width and poundage are in effect is because they put that in the law to keep people from hunting with Crossbow pistols.

At the time, guess they thought a hunting Crossbow Limb width would not ever be less than 24 inches.

Things are in the works to try and get those restrictions removed.

Lots o Luck:(

By the way the Phantom is only about 22 inches Axel to axel.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts