Crossbow Nation banner

Poll - who actually uses illumination when deer hunting?

• Always when a deer shows up - in low light or not

Votes: 6 9.2%
  • Never needed to turn illumination on

Votes: 14 21.5%
  • Turn it on as soon as I get to stand

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Had trouble seeing the deer with illumination on

Votes: 4 6.2%
  • Forgot to turn illumination on when a deer showed up

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Don’t have an illuminated scope

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • On only at dusk and dawn on it’s lowest setting, off other times.

Votes: 35 53.8%
  • Shot a deer with illumination on

Votes: 15 23.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You can enter 2 choices - poll is not public.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
I voted twice as I never needed it in the past though I did have it but my new Sig Sauer will be lit up full time when hunting so no choice to use it or not. :)

·
Registered
13,205 Posts
The only lighted scope I ever owned was on a deer rifle and it didn't have the adjustments to NOT wash out everything at dusk dark. I'm much more interested in a decent glass that holds light until legal hours are over.

Reactions: mike-s and pertnear

·
Registered
521 Posts
I turn mine on only at dusk and dawn on it’s lowest setting. it stays turned off at all other times.

·
Crossbow Nut
3,076 Posts
I turn mine on only at dusk and dawn on it’s lowest setting. it stays turned off at all other times.
^^^
Agree, this should have been one of the poll choices offered.

Reactions: Stalker and JOE PA

·
Registered
76 Posts
Curious those that turn on as soon as they get to stand, how londg does a battery last with full days like that?

I have a Hawke xb1 1.5-5x32sr and I am new to it. must have left on at range, next time out it was dead.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Minimal setting at dusk and dawn for me. Occasionally when the sun is right in my face, I'll turn the green illumination on full so it is easier to see my crosshair. The green band shows up when the biright sun is directly in front of me.

·
Registered
568 Posts
With my eyesight (wear no line bifocals) I prefer green versus red. My scope has five brightness levels for each color. For Hunting late day with light starting to fade, I will start at a brighter setting, and adjust lower as daylight fades to darkness. I should add my stand is located in darker wooded surroundings.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Most all of my scopes are single dot illuminated with auto sensor on/off. I usually leave them on lowest setting,low light or not. Pretty much use my scopes like magnified red/green dots!

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
I've never had any luck with illuminated scopes. When it gets dark all I see is the scope.

Reactions: JOE PA

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
First and last light, and only on days when conditions require it. I turn it on before the moment of truth on cloudy no moon foggy or times I know I may need it during legal hunting hours, and the lower the better! But usually I just know it was their if the need would have been their, since it's to late if I don't have the capability and do need it!

Reactions: burky247365 and SEW

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have shot most of my deer with no illumination, however last years archery buck I lost the black reticle it was so close to end of legal shooting light. I had to use it to see which line I needed.

·
8,839 Posts
Truth … be told I actually almost never use it. I used to use it when I had the superb rheostat control of the single dot Zeiss Duralyt I had on my old Scorpyd Velocity; but for the next 5 years or so I had been using a 2.5-8x36mm Leupold on my Scorpyd Orion. I remember shooting one deer where I couldn't see my crosshairs, but I could see the deer so I centered it in the scope and killed it.

I "think" I turned on the illumination in my 3-15x44 Vortex on setting #1 once. Vaguely remember that on low it lit up the reticle to a faint but visible silver/grey. Turns out it's one of the features I really want, but in reality almost never use. Guess it's one of those things where it's: "better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it." :)

Reactions: ranger sgt

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Another question could be....have you ever shot a deer with illumination on.?

I haven't
Just added that to the poll and increased the number of answers to 3 for those that want to go back and include that option.

·
Registered
13 Posts
On only at dusk and dawn on it’s lowest setting, off other time was my reply, with the exception of hog hunting at night.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Depends on the situation. Bear and hog hunting, often, Deer, rarely.

·
Registered
271 Posts
In 3 years of hunting deer with a crossbow, I have yet to really need an illuminated reticle - which is good since I've only hunted with a scope that had one for 1 year. And then I forgot to turn it on about 1/3 of the evenings I hunted. I am pretty good about turning it on in the mornings though. I'm not real good at turning it off either. Guess you could say I'm not used to it yet.

It is interesting to me that it seems lighted reticles are kind of a 'gimmick' on scopes for guns but pretty much expected for crossbow scopes.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts