Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:D Well I went to freshen up a couple of mineral sites and I have lost another stand to thieves!!! In the last 3 years I have lost 2 game cameras 4 stands and 2 corn feeders... I will not waste any more money it's ground blinds that I can pack in or climbers for me from now on...

I just don't understand how someone can take other peoples stuff and sleep at night??? Just venting here I guess but it sure makes me angry!:mad:

·
114 Posts
what makes things even more disgusting is the fact that it could be another hunter:mad:, for you guys anyway, here in CA we have PETA to deal with, large number of idiots strolling by making all kinds of noise:mad:

·
Armed Citizen
1,918 Posts

·
85 Posts
Sorry to hear about your misfortune and I believe a rant is in order. It`s a shame we have to share the outdoors with the kind of garbage that will steal a persons property when left unattended. I belong to a trail camera forum and this is a regular occurence with trail cams. I try to put my cams out after the turkey season is over, and try to conceal them as well as I can. Last year was the first time we had one stole, the member set it up too close to the property line and left it out after the season was over. It was invitation to a thiefs to lift the cam.
Like Dan said,place stickers on stands, cams,even on gates, this may help to eliminate some of your problems. Notify local law enforcement as to your problems so the can keep a eye out for your property. Mark your stands and cams so they can be identified if sold or pawned. Good luck in the future, hope the scum that has been ripping you off gets caught.

BH

·
327 Posts
I am so sorry to read about the theft of your property, When I put up a treestand I usually use strap on treesteps for the bottom three steps. then I use the screw in ones going up. It only takes me about eight minutes when I get to the satnd to put the lower steps back on and climb up. This has saved me from some theft when my companions have not been so lucky. THough devious, most theives are lazy and having to actually work to cover the first ten feet is usually enough to discourage them.

I've lost more than one stand on occasion. Where I live the Anti's effing leave nasty notes nailed to the tree informing you they've taken your property and pretty much laugh in your face. Here's one I got three years ago. I still remember this as clear as day;

"Dear murderer of innocent wild life. Your ignorance has forced us to confiscate your property and control your misguided tendencies. Give up hunting, it is cruel and inhumane."

Imagine seeing this @ 5:00AM when you're looking forward to a good hunt. It was one of my favorite Amacker Timberlock stands, too.

Several other friends that hunted in this particular section of land were also robbed and recieved the same photocopied note. IMO it is theivery, and if these bastards are ever caught they should be prosecuted.

·
Registered
1 Posts
IF they are caught, they will be prosecuted. It is theft. A trail cam well camo'ed looking right at the stand may be the ticket to get a pic of the thief (especially an anti that is focused on the stand).

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
security box

star_rating

Keep Your Camera Safe with Security Box

2008-08-11

ALABASTER, Ala. Protect your game camera from theft and damage with Moultries new Camera Security Box. Built strong with 18-gauge, powder-coated steel, the Camera Security Box creates a protective housing to keep your game camera out of harms way.

Safeguard your camera from damage caused by animals. Deter thieves with the included steel-braided security cable and brass padlock. Moultries Camera Security Box is compatible with most game cameras, and includes all hardware for easy mounting to any tree or permanent structure.

For more information contact Lawrence Taylor, (479) 782-8971; [email protected], or Moultrie Feeders, 150 Industrial Road, Alabaster, AL 35007; 1-800-653-3334; www.moultriefeeders.com.

NEXT:
Make a corn feeder from a 5 gallon bucket. If you want instructions as to how I do it, let me know. Great for public property.

I know how angry you are as it's happened to me as well while hunting in Ohio. Of course it was a young bow hunter. Caught him! He had to pay for my stuff since he destroyed it out of anger. Still wanted to kick his arse in the driveway, but young girl was watching riding her bike @ 10 PM. She probably saved me from going to the pokey that night. I was MAD. I had a few not so nice things to tell him though, especially about being a thief. Had to do with my foot and his backside and if in Texas, a shotshell load in the backside. Bet he doesn't want to play with Texas girls anymore. I did enjoy the look in his eyes when I was done tongue lashing his young self. Bad thing for him is I spread the word all through out the county to landowners and thensome like the local bow shop.

·
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well it makes me feel better to know i'm not the only one who has these kinds of problems... I had all of my stands secured with chain and locks and one of my cams with secured with a security box, but they must have been determined thieves.

I wish that I could tell the thieves that the buddy stand was for me and my 4 boys, that I had saved up for it so that I could hunt with my children and they could see the wildlife better. I know that karma is a big wheel that keeps on turning and they will get theirs one day!

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
conductorguy said:
I wish that I could tell the thieves that the buddy stand was for me and my 4 boys, that I had saved up for it so that I could hunt with my children and they could see the wildlife better. I know that karma is a big wheel that keeps on turning and they will get theirs one day!
If thieves had a conscience or felt guilt, they wouldn't be thieving in the first place, but your right on the Karma thing. Someone should slap their mamas for not teaching them better than that. Get a rope! Nothing worse than a thief in my book!
Also, next time you put any kind of equipment out, make sure you engrave your name and drivers license number on everything, and a little spray paint for more noticable markings. It may find it's way back to you. That has also happened to me.
I "lost" and igloo ice chest and two years later, we were driving through a back street in another town and I saw the cooler int eh back of a truck that said in big letters WENDYS. My partner didn't want me to go to the door for fear I would make a big scene, and he told them we saw the cooler and I was the Wendy and I was taking my cooler back. They simply said Okay. Found one of my big extension ladders the same way. Saw it while driving by a construction site and went and took it back. Had been "missing" for a year. Told the wetback roofers using it, too bad, it's mine and I'm taking it, so get down now before I take it back if you want down off the roof. They just looked at me like I was crazy. Works for me.

·
665 Posts
my ladder stand I have up on private property are chained and locked and also have a piece of 1/2 steel cable as a chain, if they want to cut the chain and steel cable, they can have the stand, because it takes alot to get to the chain and cable I have it so tight to the tree

·
64 Posts
I know how you feel. I had to give up trapping in the late 70's due to trap thiefs stealing my traps and also the catch. I was afraid of what I might do if I ever caught them so I sold everything and quit trapping. Too many people to contend with in that area.

It is terrible that people think they can steal your equipment and use any excuse in order to justify it. Now I am still venting after all those years.

·
11,411 Posts
Wouldn't it put a smile onyour face

if you knew the thief fell out of the stand on his head:D I firmly believe that aholes like that eventually get their payback. I hope so.

·
1,426 Posts
sometimes what they steal is another person's dangerous troubles... when my stands were getting stolen I looked for stands that needed repair and let them steal those, that and I put some stinky stuff in hard to find places on them...
I wanted to set them up and catch them and bust them or find their spot to bring them to... if they do it once to you they are doing it to others, unless you have a problem with a neighbor or other hunter...
I think I would be hunting and trying to use the trail cam to catch the trespasser, not at the stand but on the way to it and try to force the theif to get there a certain way so that on the trail you catch him or her ... as you do not want to have the theif find your camera and steal it too..
someone burned down one of my stands and I found it this weekend... I am gonna put cameras on the way in and out and see if I catch any images of folks that would not normally be there .. but say 50 yards from the stand on the common trails in and out..
ck

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
You know, I was just thinking about this and looking at how many have had this same problem. Are all of you hunting public land?
Now that is one thing, a big bonus for hunting private lands. You have to pay for what you shoot, or pay a lease fee to rent by the acre, but you don't necessarily have to put up with this thieving crap. Maybe I like hunting and living in Texas after all more than hunting other places. It's worth it to not have to deal with the thieves. More than likely, wanna be hunters anyway, thinking you're gonna get their deer?
When we hunt at our lease, in the spring time, I leave everything in my blind except my camera and my pistol for faster set up, camera stand and all. Just walk in with my thermos or drink and camera with pistol on.
What ashame this is to have to deal with from fellow supposed hunters and neighbors.

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
Forgot to share this.
There's a saying amongst women, who have problems with their men, and have to leave the house. Take shrimp or even just the shells, and stuff them in the curtain rods for the next woman to find. Hint, hint. (Tree stand legs.)
Should be fine until you pull the legs off the stand and the air hits them.

·
1,426 Posts
GG : You are devious.... I like that in a person... LOL...
I was thinking that the more difficult the theft is... the more time consuming... the more like work it is, the less likely it is to be carried out... I would consider how I could make it really hard to take them and really hard to get away with it... and I would put my name and ph. number all over it... and make it more dangerous for them to take it and more work to do so...
I am thinking on how to do it and how to still have stands...
hope it works out for you.
dk

·
Registered
15 Posts
I understand about having your things stolen in the woods. I bought a trail this year and was worried about someone walking off with it. I didn't want to buy a metal box to put it in and bolt to the tree so I grabbed some metal and built this.

Attachments

·
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That's a good looking setup and it looks tough...Me and my bro built a box out of 1/4 steel one time for a trail cam and when the people couldn't steal it they shot it. Ruined my cam but the security box was still good but of no use to me after that, I have stopped buying stuff that people can steal easily. I would love to have some more cams one day, maybe when I get some more property of my own and can monitor it more closely...

·
665 Posts
I just fly around in my Helicopter and look for deer:D

Yeah Right I just look for sign and sit

1 - 20 of 20 Posts