Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered my new parker Hurricane from Ye Olde Archery and I am about to go crazy in anticipation...I have always hunted with a vertical bow but I am looking so forward to archery hunt again this year. I had to set out last year due to an injury and it was horrible to say the least!

I hope to get my bow soon and I got a good price from the guys at Ye Olde Archery 539.00 to my door with the outfitter package including scope. Anyone else have one of these bows? What is your experiences with them?

Thanks
Terry

P.S. it's ok to finish the song lyrics in the title....lol I knew you would

·
Incurable Tinkerer
5,031 Posts
Do yourself a favor and get a rope cocker made by Excalibur to cock your Hurricane, much better than Parker's. Using a round file, angle the outside edge of the hook so they more nearly match the angle of the string when cocked. Shorten the string so you have to pull the bowstring up to the second hook about 4-6"s. Face the hooks out, pull up and back while standing erect. This will not only make cocking easier but prevent rollover which marks the pretty paint of your new bow.
Little tricks I've learned from shooting my Cyclone and friends hereabouts.

·
Incurable Tinkerer
5,031 Posts
Don't be surprised if the scope doesn't work the best. The base is too short to set it forward far enough to get a good sight picture. Weaver makes a set of extension rings that enable one to gain about an inch more forward movement.
I sold the one that came with the bow with my Terminator and put a LumiZone on the Cyclone. Works great.
Warning. This is a very powerful bow, pulls 170 lbs with little letoff and shoots 425 gr arrows over 350 fps. As such there is very little margin of error. It is highly unlikely that it will survive even a partial dryfire. Be sure to use arrows that are well over 400 grains. Make sure they are in good shape. And properly indexed in your bow. Inspect the plastic nocks for cracks, particularly if you hit another arrow. Failure to do so can result in a multi-piece bow. Take it from someone who learned that the hard way.

·
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bad news today I looked at the shipping information and they are sending my bow to the wrong state:(
I called and got it fixed but my bow will be a few days late getting here...

Hey Cossak what kind of arrows do you shoot through yours? I would like to get the best! Also I was looking at trophyridge.com and they have an arrow that is supposed to be the toughest around! I wonder if it would work in a crossbow?

·
Incurable Tinkerer
5,031 Posts
I'm using Gold Tip Lazer II's with brass inserts and 2" Blazers, 125 grn field point or 125 gr Slick Trick mags. Results in arrow weighing around 430 grns.

·
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Hurricane arrived today while me and a friend were at BassPro and Cabelas picking up some pre-hunt accessories and it was kinda like christmas at my house when I got home! I tore into the box immediatly and started putting it together but it was dark by the time I had it all together:(

In the morning me and my friend are going to go sight in our smokepoles and then do some bow and crossbow shooting..my friend bought a new triumph muzzleloader and he is excited to shoot it as well!

I will let you guys know how the new hurricane shoots when I get finished shooting it....report coming soon!

I also bought some new undertaker broadheads and a cabelas multi-density foam broadhead target....test results to follow on those as well

·
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The new hurricane has been shot and I must say that I like it alot accurate fast and good ergonomics the scope that came with it leaves alot to be desired but atleast it will work for now...One complaint is that it's very loud but maybe the speed helps with the noise

·
Incurable Tinkerer
5,031 Posts
You can get Weaver offset rings to move the scope forward a tad...or get a LumiZone. (Smile)
My Cyclone sounds loud compared to the Phoenix and Vortex I shoot with STS's. But at 355 fps, using 430 gr arrows, I don't think it will matter within 30 yards. I keep telling myself, no matter how relatively quiet a crossbow is...you're only getting one shot anyway. Make it close and good.

·
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok well I have put about 50 shots through the hurricane now and all of these have been shot with the undertaker broadheads and I have not had one failure to open all three blades...Also I have had a couple of misses at longer ranges and the broadheads seem to be tough as well...I realy like the design and it works as intended, the next test is on some game and I can't wait to see how they do!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts