Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you guys and gals use any kind of rest for the x-bow or to you shoot free hand?

Do you cock and lock when you get to the blind or before?

Quiver on or off?

scope caps?

I'm digging here :D

·
Banned
364 Posts
It's all personal preference. I cock and load my bow as soon as I get out of my truck and still hunt to my blind. I take my quiver off once in my blind, I also take the scope caps off when I get out of the truck, I use a StoneyPoint bipod the extends far enough where I can shoot from sitting down. I have it rigged up so it snaps on and off my CB's very quickly. I hunt from a ground blind and also still hunt. I use my compound CB's for blind hunting and my TenPoint Curve for still hunting.
You have to see what works best for you.

·
1,728 Posts
All of my practice is off-hand. I usually do not use caps. I hate quivers, although the Danny Miller is pretty good I usually use a hip quiver. I did buy one of these and it's a pretty good alternative. http://www.gameplangear.com/spotnstalk.html
I rarely use a tree stand but if I do I cock the bow first to reduce movement and reduce the possibility of a miss-hap.

·
38 Posts
My first couple of seasons was a learning process, with several valuable lessons.
I always cocked my crossbow when I got to the woods, loaded an arrow, slung it over my shoulder, and was on my merry way. I often loaded a blunt tipped arrow, so I could do a little target practice along the way. I shoot an Excalibur which has a manual safety and I had practiced enough that flipping the safety was well memorized in the cock & load routine. One day I had pushed through some thick cover (a lot of little twigs & branches slapping at me) and soon after I spotted a good target for a practice shot. I put the crossbow to my shoulder and when my thumb reached to flip the safety off - it was already off!
I'm 99.999% sure I had put the safety on, so my best guess is that the brush had hit it and flipped it off. That definately got my attention! Even if the arrow did no damage, that string up my back would have definately been uncomfortable if the trigger had been hit, too!
Since that day my carrying method has been with the rope cocking aid latched to the string ready to cock - but not cocked and not loaded until I'm in the stand or blind, or ready to shoot a target.

I carry my arrows in a hip quiver, never use scope caps, and very seldom use any kind of rest. I've been shooting shoulder arms for well over 50 years, so at crossbow ranges I'm steady enough to be fairly accurate on offhand shots. My tree stand has a shooting rail built in, so a rest is always available there. I tried a shooting stick in the blind, and found it was more trouble than worth to me. Shots are usually under 20 yards, and offhand works fine for me on those.

·
116 Posts
I cock, mount arrow and still hunt to my blind. I find it's best to have the crossbow in my hands in front of me as in still hunting. I practice offhand, I hunt from swivel chairs in brush blinds, so have rest, even if just elbows against my own body. No problem out to 30 yards.

I have tried walking through woods with the bow resting on my shoulder, cocked with arrow mounted. Overhanding branches cause all kinds of problems, one time even yanking the bow right out of my hand. Let me tell you, I was praying while that bow was falling to the ground.

Based on your own situation, you will find your own way.

Good luck.

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
What are scope caps? kidding. The first thing I throw away. I use the flip caps and turn the back one where it flips down so it doesn't touch my cap brim when I shoot. I hate when my earrings clink the stock! Remember GG, to take the earrings off! Glasses too!
Quiver is in my bag with my very cool camera stand. I make shooting sticks from Reed. Cut slanted on bottoms and wired together while in sitting position for proper height. Leave them in each blind when I set up the blind. I also get my windows just perfect when I set up so I don't make noise with the noisy velcro or zippers. Never open the rear windows. On the door, I only zip the bottom closed to help keep critters out. I set up all blinds between @ 20 and 25 yards depending on terrain and vegetation, and on the west side of my shooting stage being the wind rarely blows from the west here. Sun can be a problem though for 30 minutes if it's directly west and open, lacking trees for shade. Summer time, I set up North West, winter time I set up South West.
I cock most of the time at the truck, but sometimes, I'm dropped off at the blind so do that first as soon as you get in the blind and then set up your binos and camera, lights, drink, quiver, book, tv, light & pistol at the door (for tracking if hunting anything other than deer so I don't forget it. That can be a problem in south Texas with rattle snakes, javelina, hogs, coyotes, badgers, mountain lion, did I say hogs?), etc.
Truth be told, I hunt private property, and only take my camera with me when I leave and will return later. In case it rains and the popo up blind blows away!

·
342 Posts
Hip quiver only,
cocked and loaded as soon as I step out of my truck.

·
1,379 Posts
Depends on the time of day. If going in before daylight I cock at the truck and load when at my location. I hunt on the ground with out a blind, using only natural vegetation and my camo. I sit on a folding dove stool, that has a back, which I also carry in with me, tied to my back pack. If going in during shooting hours I still hunt my way cocked and loaded with bow in my hands. BTW, the only time I use a sling (carry strap) is when I'm dragging game. I use flip up scope caps when needed, those dust covers distort and can/will cause impact shifts.

Shooting positions vary from offhand, kneeling or sitting, most times sitting on my dove stool. Being a Distinguished Rifleman in NRA Highpower Rifle competition has developed good shooting positions for me, as well as shooting Rifle Silhouette which is all offhand (out to 500 meters). I use the most stable position offered at the time, but make use of bone support normally. Horton, I believe, markets a little item that rests on your thigh and supports the stock, is adjustable, and works with Xbow or rifle/shotgun. It's inexpensive at about $20 and would help those with steadying the sights. Most xbows can mount Harris bipods on the stock, and they work, but the springs that lock the legs in position really "ring" when shot (I'm guessing that can be quieted though). "X" sticks work really well and can be bought or made at home. They are infinately adjustable (within reason), and quiet. The mono pods are "in" now but don't work as well due to only one contact point with the ground, my opinion. It all just boils down to how much "stuff" you want to carry with you.

If you practice a good natural sitting positon you'll be amazed at how quick you can get set up for a shot.

·
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
vaguru

Do you happen to have a picture of this Dove seat? Im trying to come up with something to carry in the woods

·
287 Posts
I am cocked and loaded as soon as I get out of my jeep,unless I am hunting with a friend then I dont load an arrow.
If I am sitting when I shoot i use a pad on my knee(It's the one that HS makes for turkey hunting) if standing it's off hand.
I use the butler creek flip up's

·
Banned
1,256 Posts
mideerslayer said:
Do you happen to have a picture of this Dove seat? Im trying to come up with something to carry in the woods
Take a look at this seat. Light, sits well and folds up nicely. Been using one for years.

http://www.camptime.net/roll-a-chair.htm

Beats that that 3 legged nut cracker they push to hunt out of blinds. Tape or paint the silver legs and that's it. I'm a big guy over the weight limit for it and it holds me and hasn't broke. I've tried a bunch and this one for the light weight to pack in is miles ahead of anything else I've used. The leg tubes are filled with a wood dowel so they're super strong. The pivot joint is tough too.
It easily fits in one side of the Wild Thing pack if you're a bind hunter.

·
11,449 Posts
I agree with part of what Boo said

I hardly ever shoot a crossbow from a rest. My elbow on my thigh works great and that's what I use for hunting shots. Boo hates bow quivers:D and I love them and there are good reasons for that. My arrows are always where my crossbow is, ready for the shot, not hanging on my side catching every limb and bush I pass, and I never have to hang it anywhere on a tree and re-attach it anywhere. A 3 arrow Kwikee IMO is the best quiver onthe planet and there's only one place to mount it on a crossbow, again MHO, pictured below. The Dan Miller crosswise quiver mount is a total disaster, again , IMO:D Sorry Dan but I will not be peeping under a quiver to get a shot:eek:

Attachments

·
1,426 Posts
MiDHunter : you and I are both new to the cross bow scene, but I will share what I intend to do : shoot off hand at all ranges that I can hit at that way... compare offhand to rested to determine if there is a difference in point of impact {at the short yardages I will be beginning from and able to consitently hit inside the vitals every time} I use scope caps of the flip kind and GG said it right : be sure it flips in a direction that does not hit anything and does not block your feild of view... I need them for dust and fog accumulation on the lenses without, especially when riding to and from .. I will cock the bow and load it carrying at the ready if I do not have thick foliage to go through like when walking an established trail or logging road to a stand cause I will hunt in and hunt out... I do not want to make a lot of noise on stand before day when it is pretty quiet otherwise and I am just arriving; if I decide that I want to and can shoot offhand accurately I will practice improvised rests and on an established stand rest my forearms or hand on the shooting rail if it is necessary and proven... I also bring some tissue to clean the scope lenses; when I hunt off the ground I tend to like using a ghillie suit or good leafy camo and getting in the thick just off a trail and cut my holes big enough to shoot out of standing and sitting and if there is room I check out kneeling, but seldom use it unless I need the different angle of approach for the shot to pass to the target; I use a chair on the ground when I do not expect a place to sit that is optimimum, which is most of the time; and I use a chair I bought at a sporting goods store for dove shooting that has the front a bit shorter than the rear and it is pretty high, like a bar stool so I am in a familiar position LOL'; I cover the legs with mole covering cloth like for the sight shelf window on your compound to keep it quiet, and usually have a day pack with me ... I have some sticks but do not anticipate using them at this point for the cross bow.. for my single shot encore .308 I bring them cause the shots can be longer and more demanding with that.. I intend to use a pop up ground blind with the same chair and shoot unsupported from sitting unless I have to turn too much and drop to a knee or take a shot from standing if I can rise unseen and silently. that is one nice thing about a ground blind with some of the windows closed... LOL
hope this helps... I have hunted a long time just not cross bow hunting... let us know how it works out for you.
dk

·
Obsessed Huntress
5,583 Posts
I heard Horton has a new quiver that goes over the rail. May be very interesting for those of you who use an attached quiver.

·
1,379 Posts
Hunting stool pic

mid

here are 2 pics of the hunting stool. One with back up, the other with it folded down. It also comes with a carry strap which I use to attach it to my back pack. As I needed a taller height for comfort I removed the plastic caps on the bottom of each leg. Six inch peices of 1/2" copper tubing was inserted into each leg after drilling holes in each 1" apart and soldering a cap on one end. I use an eyebolt with a wing nut to hold each leg in position. The eyebolt also allows me to attach rubber bands cut from an inner tube to wrap around the tubing to prevent it from rattling. As a plus it also allows me to adjust each leg indepentently for uneven terrain. As I prefer to hunt the sides hills looking down on trails where I expect game to travel this works excelently!

I purchased this unit 10 years ago at a K Mart, but last year bought one for my son at a local sporting goods store. Runs around $20.

Just noticed that Lancaster Archery carries them, Game Tracker Hi-Back folding chair. Don't know what current price is. I'm sure can be found elsewhere.

Attachments

·
1,728 Posts
Moonkryket said:
The Dan Miller crosswise quiver mount is a total disaster, again , IMO:D Sorry Dan but I will not be peeping under a quiver to get a shot:eek:
Nice talk there Tom.

·
11,449 Posts
Works good

Lots heavier than the Horton Knee Pod. I like the Knee Pod.

·
46 Posts
Yes and No. It depends on the situation.
Usually before I get to the stand; but, not always.
No quiver.
No scope caps.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts