Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Is anyone shooting arrow weights at around 500gn and can provide me some experience?

I don't really need the 330fps that I am currently getting as I'm only Target shooting at 50-80m.
The increase in arrow weight would definitely relief some stress on my Excalibur micro limbs.

Can I expect the same accuracy with heavier arrows?

Greeting from Germany
Leo

·
Registered
9,367 Posts
Yes if not better. Depending on the arrow set up of coarse. Heavier arrow are affected less by wind.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes if not better. Depending on the arrow set up of coarse. Heavier arrow are affected less by wind.
Do you think heavier Arrow Tips will be enough? Or will I have to switch out my aluminum Inserts to Brass ones?

I have alresdy experimented with longer arrows...20 and 22 Inches...but none of them seemed to work as well as the 16.5ers

·
Registered
472 Posts
I didn't experiment too much with the crossbows I have, but there are plenty of brass (Messing) inserts for "normal" arrows (6.2mm ID) with 100grain or more. This way, you can easily add up to 250 gn with insert + tip.

·
4,783 Posts
For strickly target shooting, 500g arrows should do well as long as they are at known distances. The greater the FOC , the better. Contrary to common thought , heavier foc arrows do not nose dive but they do generally group better.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
All things being equal a heavier arrow with the right FOC should be more accurate. I use 500 gr arrows in my Stealth NXT but it shoots about 380 fps with the heavy arrow.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Probably gonna experiment with Excalibur Quill's, 200gn Tips and 40gn Aluminum inserts.

Brings the whole package to around 500gn

1 - 7 of 7 Posts