Crossbow Nation banner

Inexpensive Arrows?

5K views 57 replies 18 participants last post by  TomOnTheRun 
#1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with the really inexpensive arrows ( <$30/doz.) found on sites like Amazon or eBay?

I'd like to have some arrows for hog eradication to carry while deer hunting and don't want to pony up $5-6 each for something that's likely to get lost/broken.

#2 ·
You can purchase some fantastic arrows in that price range. BloodSport Hunters $30 range(box of 6). Also, check Walmart in your area. I read BloodSport Witness (box of 6) were on sale for $25.

#5 ·
I'm also curious about this.

I got those Reegox arrows 20" in the orange color a couple weeks ago to use for practice. The shafts so far have held up, whereas the aluminum shafts I started with bent all to pieces in a couple shots. The practice tips smush fairly easily if they hit something too hard. The vanes get chewed up pretty easy too if there is any kind of a pass through. I also haven't tried the Reegox yet with a broadhead, on a live animal, or at a distance longer than 20 yards. I can't judge how accurate they are, or any of the other parameters as I don't have the skill level to do that.

Since they're available through Prime, you could always return them with free shipping and no questions asked if you don't like them.

#6 ·
Those real cheap arrows is just a way to throw away your money. I understand you just want some short range arrows but without heavy inserts there just isn't a way to know where the broadhead is gonna hit. And with cheaper arrows all you will get is aluminum inserts that weigh hardly anything. Those might get you by with a vert bow but not with a a crossbow. JMO...….

Reactions: Lizzinator
#7 ·
#9 ·
If you choose to shoot arrows with compromised components, the results may be very similar to a dry fired crossbow. And will void any warranty. A friendly reminder...

#10 ·
You can purchase some fantastic arrows in that price range. BloodSport Hunters $30 range(box of 6). Also, check Walmart in your area. I read BloodSport Witness (box of 6) were on sale for $25.
Just picked up a box of 6 BloodSport Witness for $17 at Walmart on clearance.

Reactions: TomOnTheRun
#24 ·
The Barnett arrows use an aluminum insert vs. the brass insert on the bloodsport arrows. The shafts “look” identical. The vanes on the Headhunters that came with my Xbow were 4”, but the vanes on my Bloodsport arrows and the ones on the Headhunters at my local sporting goods store are identical 3” vanes.

#26 ·
If you are buying cheap arrows because of budget or you hunt no futher than 20/30 yards or you want to take them down, test, index and refletch it is a great thing. Cheap arrow can become really good arrows with very little work

But if you are buying cheap arrows simply because they are cheap you are going to find them to have some inconsistency from time to time.

The market is full of what I would classify as cheap and that included every arrow manufactures include in their packages or sell as aftermarket items. It does not matter what the price is if you buy an arrow that is not indexed you will have issues from time to time.

Black Eagle makes many of todays crossbow companies arrows, ravin, camx, excalibur, killer instinct etc and they make their own factory fletched arrows. I have said many times I think Black Eagle arrows are the best on the market but unless they are indexed they are not as good as they could be.

So if you want to buy cheap arrows do yourself a favor and buy a fletching jig and a spine tester. And as you get factory arrows that dont want to play with the rest break them down, test and index to the stiffest point and you will very rarely cull a single arrow

#31 · (Edited)
If you are buying cheap arrows because of budget or you hunt no futher than 20/30 yards or you want to take them down, test, index and refletch it is a great thing. Cheap arrow can become really good arrows with very little work

But if you are buying cheap arrows simply because they are cheap you are going to find them to have some inconsistency from time to time.

The market is full of what I would classify as cheap and that included every arrow manufactures include in their packages or sell as aftermarket items. It does not matter what the price is if you buy an arrow that is not indexed you will have issues from time to time.

Black Eagle makes many of todays crossbow companies arrows, ravin, camx, excalibur, killer instinct etc and they make their own factory fletched arrows. I have said many times I think Black Eagle arrows are the best on the market but unless they are indexed they are not as good as they could be.

So if you want to buy cheap arrows do yourself a favor and buy a fletching jig and a spine tester. And as you get factory arrows that dont want to play with the rest break them down, test and index to the stiffest point and you will very rarely cull a single arrow
I completely disagree premiss anyone labeling non customized arrows as "CHEAP". That is not cool. Are they out there I am sure you can find them. However, I own and I have shoot custom arrows, OEM arrows and inexpensive arrows in the hunting world range at 20-40 yard and the results are negligible with BloodSport, OEM HeadHunters and OEM BearX TrueX arrows vs custom arrows. That is my personal testimonial. Inexpensive arrows shoot very accurately between 20-40 yards and I have killed deer quite well with the both. Haven't hunted my TrueX yet but I will. Don't think it's cool anyone labeling inexpensive or OEM arrows as Cheap! There is no correlation when I track down my dead deer, shot by an off the shelf or inexpensive arrow (OEM). Custom arrows are duly noted and cool to those that desire them. You can't go wrong.

I think "Cheap" is an overplay. My personal experience shooting inexpensive BloodSport arrows has been quite positive and accurate within kill zone accuracy with 3" grouping out to 60 yards. If you need to pay more to shoot tighter grouping than 3" have at it. I'm a hunter.

Here are pics using my recent OEM (not Cheap to me) arrows. Works for me.

To me accuracy relates to ownership experience then practice, practice practice with your equipment.
Barnett TS370 and Barnett HeadHunter out the box OEM arrows.
Tree Soil Plant

Soil Tree Plant Compost Waste container

BearX Constrictor and BearX OEM arrows out the box

BearX TrueX arrows at 30 yards: Would this kill a deer?
Grass Plant Soil Tire Lawn

BearX TrueX arrows at 40 yards. Would this kill a deer?
Recreation

#28 ·
I am shooting the 20" Carbon Express Pile Driver with a 100 grain point for a total average of 450 grain. These are also available in 22". These are a high quality arrow and fairly rigid. The vanes are installed with a very high quality glue, where a vane may rip but not come off. The vanes they use are tougher than what I have purchased here. These arrows are made in Korea.
I mainly shoot the same 4 arrows that have accumulated 1000's of shots due to a lot of target shooting. If a vane gets damaged, it is repaired, then back into the same 4 arrow system. No shortage of arrows as I have lots of new ones.

A recent crossbow purchase came out with the identical labeled arrows, but listed as made in China. 3 arrows with the included points showed 7 grains difference from low to high. Pulling the nocks and points the major difference was in the arrow shaft with vanes and inserts installed.

The Korea nocks are longer inside the shaft and longer out side the shaft. These weigh 14 grain as compared to nocks here weighing 10 or 12 grain depending where they are purchased. Arrow nocks here will not inter change with the Korea ones due to a slight diameter difference. The Korea 1/2 moon nocks are good quality.

All the best with what ever you choose.

#29 ·
The Barnett arrows use an aluminum insert vs. the brass insert on the bloodsport arrows. The shafts “look” identical. The vanes on the Headhunters that came with my Xbow were 4”, but the vanes on my Bloodsport arrows and the ones on the Headhunters at my local sporting goods store are identical 3” vanes.
I just delivery of a brand new Barnett TS370 Xbow with build date March 2019. Out of the Box the HeadHunter arrows had 3" vanes. Looked identical to BS Hunter arrow vanes I have.

#30 ·
You obviously dont care about clean kills so why are you asking? Why not just throw rat poison out there and drink a bottle in the blind as you wait for something worthy to kill.

#36 ·
Lever, there are a heck of a lot of assumptions you’re making and conclusions you’re jumping to here.

Wanting inexpensive arrows that I needn’t worry too much about loss or breakage is anything but synonymous with “not caring about clean kills”. Neither, for that matter, is inexpensive (or cheap, if you will) synonymous with junk.

#32 ·
I disagree with your assessments! In real world hunting ranges a 1-2” differences at those yards can result in a dead or injured animals! Those “cheap arrows” will give those results! I guarantee that my spine indexed and weight matched arrows will out shoot any factory fletched “cheap arrow” at hunting distances! That’s a fact and not an assumption. It still amazes me that hunters will pay $500-1000 for a bow then get all bunged up about the price of a target or arrows! Arrows are just as important as the dependability and accuracy of your bow!

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk

#33 ·
I'm glad we have facts that work for both of us. :D

Pic below. One and done shot with custom made arrow. No rock or hard surface behind the kill shot. It worked, no ill will to the arrow or the maker. Great arrows.

Oh, I'll guarantee I'll kill a deer out to 40 yards with an OEM HeadHunter or OEM TrueX arrow. Fact! I sure have done it with my factory fletched BloodSport arrows in the real world 20-40 yard range. What is the kill zone target size on a double lung deer? Hmmm.......

Goodness. Practice, practice, practice is the key along with knowing your equipment. Just adding color to the canvas. If I miss a deer it's not because of the arrow. It's because of me! If I make a bad shot it's because of me not the arrow. To each their own. We can agree to disagree. :p

Product Dragonflies and damseflies Insect Plant Damselfly

#34 · (Edited)
All depends what a 'hunter' wants to do with the pointy sticks they choose.

Next season, I'm really wanting to get a tough shot on these two decent, nocturnal, ****** bucks that often stay down in a swampy area, beside a busy road. About the only option I've got at a crack at them, is to set up on a little bluff above the swamp.....it's gonna be very easy for push'n them outta there and they'll be gone..., if they scent me or see me.....I may only get one chance for a decent shot....through shoot'n lanes that I have to clear soon, and may well be push'n the limit on the range. So, I gotta make it count!!!! Aaaand, it's not gonna be a nice 20-30 yds lob I'm sure!!!!

Thus the Tapps on order!!!! I'll use the best for the job I need them to do, and I'll prepare with loads of practice till I'm confident. That's the same theory I used on my ram at 470 yds...even though many would say that's too far for a quarter bore....Ya, whatever.....It easily worked! Guess I just like to start building my confidence with the best I can get, then work from that to do my part....But, if short range shots are all ya need to do, that's totally fine...it's all just what ya want to do with your equipment and then knowing you range limits....

To me, bullets and arrows are not a big investment in the grand picture, so I always go with premium....

#35 ·
Hope you get'em. Sounds like you have a sound game plan. If you do it won't be because of the arrow it will be because of your hunting skills and ability to execute. However, whatever gives you confidence put it in your quiver. That is key to any mindset to execute.

I've shot enough arrows and spent enough coin and will not be opposed to custom arrows but equating inexpensive to cheap as a formula for not killing a deer is a paradox in my Xbow. If I shoot with bullseye results I'll have confidence in that arrow regardless of price. Lord knows I had my misses with premium arrows. ;):eek::D:cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.