Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those looking for an inexpensive deer feeder.
I recently figured out a cheap way of doing this. One section of black flex pipe at about 6-7' long. Tie the bottom into a J.
Run a string through a lid to keep the rain out, run through a pulley and tie off to a tree. Keep it about 3' off the ground to keep the *****, turkeys and squirrels out.
PXL_20201203_170254230.jpg

PXL_20201203_170247777.jpg

PXL_20201203_170305072.jpg

·
Registered
951 Posts
I would recommend you putting a trail camera on the feeder to verify it is raccoon proof. In my experience, they will jump from the ground to access, slide down from above, etc. They have all night to come up with a game plan to steal the corn. Once accomplished, they go get their cousins.
Hopefully it is raccoon proof. Good Luck!

·
9,830 Posts
I would recommend you putting a trail camera on the feeder to verify it is raccoon proof. In my experience, they will jump from the ground to access, slide down from above, etc. They have all night to come up with a game plan to steal the corn. Once accomplished, they go get their cousins.

·
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stan put up a camera on one of them and so far so good. I think they would have a hard time sliding down a string and a plastic tube, but who knows. If they do, I'll hang it from a wire. lol

·
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well so far so good. I put this up and filled it on November 1. We do have ***** and squirrels in our area because my back your is woods. After about a week I went to refill it. Deer haven't found it yet but it took less than two gallons to fill it.
I do however have a flock of doves and bluejays that love it. lol

·
Registered
304 Posts
Awesome ingenuity! Squirrels are the worst for me. I have my feeder set up after season where I can view it from my back porch. I have literally seen squirrels hanging under it spinning the spinner with 10 of its buddies on the ground pigging out. Ended up greasing the legs with vasoline to stop that. Get quite a chuckle out of watching the little buggers try to get up the legs now. 😃

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
If the ***** aren't figuring it out, they haven't found it yet! Nice idea though and hope it works out like you want!

·
Registered
13,759 Posts
Sometimes when a feeder is added to a new area Ive found that it might take a year for the deer to become used to it and feel relaxed enough to feed from it. That said...if you come up with a foolproof way to keep the ***** and squirrels out of it then you have yourseof a winner. Keep us posted as I'm always interested.;):)

·
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ga: I still haven't had a deer in my yard take advantage of my corn feeding tube. However, the others in the woods have been emptied a couple of times with deer tracks to and from the feeder. None of the pictures showed anything but does and small bucks so far.

·
9,830 Posts
Well so far so good. I put this up and filled it on November 1. We do have ***** and squirrels in our area because my back your is woods. After about a week I went to refill it. Deer haven't found it yet but it took less than two gallons to fill it.
You have ... to bulk feed in the beginning. Dump a 50 lb bag of corn on the ground around it. They'll usually find that within three days or so.

·
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We put a few of these out in the woods and they have all been emptied 2x since we started. Pictures of deer but no ***** as of yet. I will try pouring some out in the back yard and see what happens. I have another backyard feeder 25 yards away but the ***** tear it up so I stopped using it. Good news, ***** have left it alone so far. Bad news, so have the deer. lol Have a great day guys.

·
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Its been a couple of weeks. No *****

Not too bad for a cheap Kentucky Deer feeder.

·
9,830 Posts
Trouble ... with those feeders is that the deer can visit 24/7. You want a feeder to only feed when you're going to be there to kill your target. You want to pattern the deer to your schedule. Otherwise it's not likely they're going to be there when you're there. The best way to bait is to manually feed at the same time every day, and only enough to last a few hours. After that, spin feeders are about your only other option.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
For those looking for an inexpensive deer feeder.
I recently figured out a cheap way of doing this. One section of black flex pipe at about 6-7' long. Tie the bottom into a J.
Run a string through a lid to keep the rain out, run through a pulley and tie off to a tree. Keep it about 3' off the ground to keep the *****, turkeys and squirrels out.
View attachment 188134

View attachment 188135

View attachment 188136
Nice innovation of corrugated pipe and rope. How much does all this cost you if you buy it? I know squirrels can jump 3' high but not sure about racoons. How long have you used this?
Spot

·
Registered
2,136 Posts

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
If you want deer to find it faster just pour some molasses on the corn pile.

Reactions: thirdhandman

·
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Trouble ... with those feeders is that the deer can visit 24/7. You want a feeder to only feed when you're going to be there to kill your target. You want to pattern the deer to your schedule. Otherwise it's not likely they're going to be there when you're there. The best way to bait is to manually feed at the same time every day, and only enough to last a few hours. After that, spin feeders are about your only other option.
Duke: You are absolutely correct. But then again, I'm thrifty where ever possible. I ended up putting out 3 in the woods and one in the back yard. Less than $25 for all 4 plus a couple of bags of corn. The ones in the woods have worked great. Deer are definitely feeding at night, but also in the early afternoon. I watched 7 does and a spike buck early evening yesterday. They were all wired as the wind was swirling and they smelled me 40 yards out. The spike stayed at the feeder while the girls stood motionless for 20 minutes. The girls decided they didn't like something so they all left at once.
No shot opportunity because too many eyes that were already wired. But it was fun to watch.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts