Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First...this is NOT a put down or criticism on any other bows or bow designs...

After talking with two different crossbow designers over the past coupla weeks, and my asking of some pointed questions and thankfully the apparent interest in "my" interest let these people, I believe answer my questions with honest answers....

Ok..if you're still with me, here goes

I own plastic stock/track....aluminum stock/track....aluminum stock/plastic track....wood stock/track and "have owned" brass (Barnett Commando) tracked crossbows.

Since I do a lot of testing of things at work (areospace stuff..."stuff", that's an engineering word!), I have a good idea how things move when a given load is put on them.

For some time now, I've wondered how much the stock moves at the full cock point and right after the trigger is pulled and "during" the string movement.
"Especially" the plastic stock bows.
Since I have no personal access to high speed cameras at home...I'm left wondering!

That is till last week.

I won't go into the questions and answers because it'll take for ever, but..

The basic outcome is...by design, the Horton reCon is currently, the best case for the most accurate crossbow currently on the market. There is at least a coupla reasons for this statement.

1. There is no (very, very little) load placed on the arrow track at rest, at full cock, at the trigger pull...or during the string travel down the track.
Why...because all the load in the system...is behind the trigger box...as you all know! And the string to trigger mechanism load is also right "at" the piece (technical term?) that holes the string back.
While there is a very light, string to track load, and most likely some string bounce as on other bows, I'd guess the track/stock loading is almost unmeasurable.

2. The arrow is only supported at two points along the track, NOT the entire track length.
This does two things, it removes, from the arrow vs. track friction....and it also will help eliminate any stock/track movement during the shot that would act directly on the arrow.

I'd bet that this is the reason the Stryker is built like freight train...to deal with the massive loads put upon the stock/track by the limbs.

In short, the action of the limbs, cams, strings and these items in a combined operation put loads on the stock/track that...if watched in "very" slow motion would amaze most of us....all the side, up and down and general wave motions they go thru.

Kinda like the slow motion pictures of arrows shot from vertical bows we've all seen. Just quicker, sharper movements.

Anyway...sorry...didn't think this would get this long.
And yea, the reCon arrows go right where the the bow is aimed. With my little ATN Digital sight, this bow is so easy to shoot and shoot well...the "anti" crossbow people would have a field day condeming it! That is IF they could condem it after shooting it.

And for what it's worth...the Bowjaks silencers I put on the limbs, allows the bow to just return a light dull thud after the shot.

Ok...I'm done.

Mike

·
11,412 Posts
Yep, BUT :)

The difference in accuracy the Recon may have over let's say the Desert Stryker is certainly not a practical one that most folks wouldn't be able to take advantage of. The Desert Stryker, like the Stryker, but to a lessor degree, has some barrel torque but it's the same every shot. The Desert Stryker is wickedly accurate, fast and smoothe, not to mention quite a bit lighter weight than the Rekon. The Rekon is one cool bow but I would not trade my DS for one, especially just for a margin of accuracy gain that I can't measure.

·
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahh. yes..the mines better than yours comment.
See PM!

Not practical...where'd that com from? What's not "practical" about the reCon.
And yea..the spelling is Recon...no K..!

All this statement was to inform about design qualities that no other currently marketed bow has.
And NO, nothing in the current Bowtech lineup has these qualities.

As far as the barrel torque being the "same" for each shot....maybe...maybe not! I've witnessed tests (non-crossbow, but simillar testing)...where the outcome...was "not!"

Again....this was NOT...a "mines bigger or better than yours" post.
And you (Mr. Moon) fell right in!

Just a statement of current "fact" for anyone that might be interested!

Mike

·
11,412 Posts
Man, you are paranoid

How about this? Just because you've seen some frame by frame videos of a crossbow shot does not make you and expert on crossbow design but maybe so in your mind:D

You must have missed my point. By using the Desert Stryker as an example, barrel flex is obviously not a practical issue related to accuracy. Get it???????? Can you show definitive proof that it is? Other crossbows like the TP Pro Slider set on 175 lb draw also show some barrel flex but they will put arrow after arrow in the same hole at the close ranges you refer to.

Be sure to check my future posts for spelling for me:D and also my pm.

·
Incurable Tinkerer
5,031 Posts
Now, now.... play nice boys. There's room enough for two experts here.

Guess I've been handloading to long, don't trust anyone's opinion.....unless it's backed with liability insurance.

·
11,412 Posts
Cossack

You hit the nail on the head. Everyone has an opinion but I'll trust mine before others' 100 % of the time.

Nothing serious here, just a California engineer with a hangup:D He's bragging that I bought him lunch. If so, I would have fed him prunes:D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts