Crossbow Nation banner

41 - 60 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Once you get your crossbows dialed in for all your maximum ranges. Then the fine tuning comes in. Have you chronographed the speed of your crossbow?
I don't have a chronograph but I'm sure it's close to 465 fps with the 425 grain arrows I'm using..
I have the mag set at 10×. I need to adjust it down to 8 or
I don't have a chronograph but I'm sure it's close to 465 fps with the 425 grain arrows I'm using..
I have the mag set at 10×. I need to adjust it down to 8 or 7×......?
What does your scopes manual suggest? I set my speed ring for 345 even though my crossbow says 350fps. All my arrows drop right in to the bullseyes by adjusting a few clicks down so that I only need to place the crosshairs on the target. You can't aim at the same spot on the target otherwise you will mess up your other arrows by robin hooding your arrows. The arrows I'm using is the Carbon Express 20"Red Hot arrows. They are 400 grains total weight. They have a weight forward design. I shoot a total weight with broadhead included of 550 grains. Have a good one.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Reactions: Iron Duke

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Yes, most every scope I look thru is better than a Hawke.
I got lucky my Hawke scopes are fine. No need to buy another brand.

Reactions: dynamo61

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
I have the mag set at 10×. I need to adjust it down to 8 or 7×......?
That's high magnification Marty. Will it be an issue at close ranges 10-30 yards getting clear focus or locating target/game?

·
Registered
13,095 Posts
Once you get your crossbows dialed in for all your maximum ranges. Then the fine tuning comes in. Have you chronographed the speed of your crossbow?

What does your scopes manual suggest? I set my speed ring for 345 even though my crossbow says 350fps. All my arrows drop right in to the bullseyes by adjusting a few clicks down so that I only need to place the crosshairs on the target. You can't aim at the same spot on the target otherwise you will mess up your other arrows by robin hooding your arrows. The arrows I'm using is the Carbon Express 20"Red Hot arrows. They are 400 grains total weight. They have a weight forward design. I shoot a total weight with broadhead included of 550 grains. Have a good one.
The Vortex XBR does not have the traditional speed dial on it to match up the numbers. It is a magnification dial and he has to play with it to find which magnification works best to line him up at the ranges he wants. Then he will need to set up his turret doing basically the same thing using the MOA clicks and marking a tape as he goes.
It sounds difficult to do but really isn't.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
The Vortex XBR does not have the traditional speed dial on it to match up the numbers. It is a magnification dial and he has to play with it to find which magnification works best to line him up at the ranges he wants. Then he will need to set up his turret doing basically the same thing using the MOA clicks and marking a tape as he goes.
Yuck! That's nice to know.
I am very happy with my Hawke speed dial compact scope. It's set on 5.3x and dialed in to all ranges up to 115 yards. Have yet shot beyond 115. Fine lines allow me see the bullseye detail to aim at a particular spot to hold off to hit where I intend even at 100 yards. Heck I'm 70 yo and dreaming with this setup.
🎯 (y)
Spot

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
Then he will need to set up his turret doing basically the same thing using the MOA clicks and marking a tape as he goes.
:D

IMG_0987.JPG
IMG_0988.JPG

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
Those look like Burris Signature XTR rings
Actually I think those were the vortex extended ring set - insignia on front ring. I sold those long ago and prefer the regular Burris Sig rings.

IMG_0598.JPG

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
Where did you get that tape ?
From my Parker Pin Point stash. No longer available.

Since the turret diameter has a smaller OD than the Pin Point, a slower speed tape has to be used.

fullsizeoutput_31.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_1f.jpeg

·
Registered
Nemesis 480 & DeathStalker 380, I live near Greensburg PA. I enjoy building custom strings
7,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I'm wondering if Vortex would have some for sale..... I'll need to call them.

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
I'm wondering if Vortex would have some for sale..... I'll need to call them.
Different companies - Vortex and Parker (I thought Excalibur owned Parker but I could be wrong). Several companies make turret labels.

Best thing would be to get some white adhesive shipping labels and put a piece 1/4” wide and put it on the turret with the starting edge at 0. Get the center crosshair dialed in with what yardage you want, and then loosen the 3 turret cap screws and reset the cap to zero.

Move back in 10 yard increments and mark each spot on the label for as far out as you can go. Take the tape off and stick it to a piece of paper and you can send that to a custom label maker.

I get a little more detailed and use the clicks up on the Hawke ballistics chart as a guide to get an idea where they should be close and just verify the exact spot on the label.

I measure the turret OD with calipers, and multiply it times pi to get the circumference, and then divide by 48 to get the linear distance from one click. I think with a 30 yard zero it 12 -13 clicks for 40 yards. The circumference on my turret is about 3.22” divided by 48 = .067” per click. So 12 clicks would be .805” linear so that would be the first mark for my intended label yardage.

After adding the clicks up for different yardages, I just laid it again the Parker tapes to get the closest one. Or you could send in your marked up label to a label company.

IMG_0595.JPG
DSCN0890.JPG

Reactions: Rit and Martymig

·
Registered
Nemesis 480 & DeathStalker 380, I live near Greensburg PA. I enjoy building custom strings
7,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I'll figure something out TP, thank you! I just need the time and get my creative juices flowing....

·
Registered
131 Posts
Marty set the magnification at what ever you want it to be to hunt at. I use 5 x for hunting then zero at what ever yard you want it zeroed at. The way i do mine is 20 yard zero, then hold center cross hair at 30 and shoot a arrow look thru scope with center crosshair on target and count the moa down to where my arrow hit. Write it down then go to 40 shoot center crosshair on target and repeat all the way back to 50 yards. when you get thru you will have a drop chart from 20 to 50 yards in moa. I then contact custum turret systems and he will make you a tape for your turret that is marked just like tpcollins showed in the above post for about 30 bucks. you will need arrow weight and speed also my tapes are set from 20 to 110 yards on my velo and dead on. His website has lots of scopes listed and a calculator so you can build your labels with background color of your choice and hasmarks where you want them and color you want along with your information such as bow arrow weight fps, gun caliber fps bullet weight he is the cheapest and best i have found for custum turret tapes.

·
Registered
428 Posts
You guys are too far over my head! lol
I have the ATN 4x Pro and a built in range finder. Point the range finder the crosshair adjusts
I have shot from 10-60 yards dead on. I will try further when the weather breaks.
I respect you guys doing the hard work to make it happen

·
Registered
13,095 Posts
It is very easy to make your own tape Marty. Just do what Tim said:
Best thing would be to get some white adhesive shipping labels and put a piece 1/4” wide and put it on the turret with the starting edge at 0. Get the center crosshair dialed in with what yardage you want, and then loosen the 3 turret cap screws and reset the cap to zero.

Move back in 10 yard increments and mark the yardage on the label for as far out as you can go starting with your sight in range (20 or 30). When you finish you have the tape made and already on the turret. No need to send it off anywhere and spend $30 or so. :)

·
Registered
7,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Marty set the magnification at what ever you want it to be to hunt at. I use 5 x for hunting then zero at what ever yard you want it zeroed at. The way i do mine is 20 yard zero, then hold center cross hair at 30 and shoot a arrow look thru scope with center crosshair on target and count the moa down to where my arrow hit. Write it down then go to 40 shoot center crosshair on target and repeat all the way back to 50 yards. when you get thru you will have a drop chart from 20 to 50 yards in moa. I then contact custum turret systems and he will make you a tape for your turret that is marked just like tpcollins showed in the above post for about 30 bucks. you will need arrow weight and speed also my tapes are set from 20 to 110 yards on my velo and dead on. His website has lots of scopes listed and a calculator so you can build your labels with background color of your choice and hasmarks where you want them and color you want along with your information such as bow arrow weight fps, gun caliber fps bullet weight he is the cheapest and best i have found for custum turret tapes.
It is very easy to make your own tape Marty. Just do what Tim said:

Move back in 10 yard increments and mark the yardage on the label for as far out as you can go starting with your sight in range (20 or 30). When you finish you have the tape made and already on the turret. No need to send it off anywhere and spend $30 or so. :)
I thank you both for the helpful information and TPcollins also. I'll get this together, maybe not all at once but, heck, what's the hurry and like Tnmtns said, it's the fun part getting this scope dialed in with your bow. I agree, it gives me an excuse to get out to the range and do some shooting with my Nemesis...

·
1,980 Posts
When i used the Turret with a yardage tape. I sighted it in first dot at 30 yds. Loosened the 3 allen screws and turned the now loose turret to zero the retightened. I then shot it at 40 yds using the same 1st dot the arrow hit low, i then turned the turret until the dot covered the arrow (gotta hold the bow still) shot again until it was hitting the bull. Then counted the marks/clicks and wrote down that number. Then repeated for each yardage. I then cut a strip of printer paper using a cut small piece of scotch tape just to hold it on the turret. I then marked 30 yds at zero going off my cheat sheet i just counted the clicks and marked each yardage on the 10's then went back and shot/marked it on the 5's. Last i cut a piece of scotch tape that would cover the hole yardage tape i just made. What this done was give me a yardage tape that i could see pretty good and take off without gunk from sticky tape. And it was pretty water proof at least it never gave me any trouble.

I now have my XBR on a optimizer with a light on the optimizer dial. Hunting late and early its just easier for me to see the yardage tape. I also kinda got lucky the indent in the power ring gave me 2nd hash mark 20 yds first dot 30 next hash 40 yds this carried out to 60 yds as long as have it on the indent. This lets me use any power setting i want hunting or target shooting at any distance out to 100yds plus easy to find the indent going back to a traditional crossbow scope.

Kinda sounds complicated but its really very simple and i have my cake and it comes on a plate with a fork :).

41 - 60 of 101 Posts