Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a hunt coming up the first 5 days of October. This is with Harpole whitetail lodge in Pike county Ill. We ar there for 5 days and 6 nights. We have 1 guide for every 2 hunters. They do not sit with you when hunting but take care of getting you to the stand, tracking, gutting and getting your deer back to the lodge. I believe they will help you process your deer if needed. What I need to know what would be the proper procedures on tipping the people involved. Never done a hunt like this so I have no idea what would be a proper amount to give. Thanks stack

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
As much as your heart desires.... I wish I had something like that around me. I would take care of the people generously. You don't see this a whole lot anymore, people trying to help people out..at least not where I'm from. I would take care of them like a brother...

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a habit of over tipping I’ve been told. People I hang with are always telling me I left to much. I guess if I can afford it who’s business Is It.👍

·
Registered
155 Posts
From what I know, which is secondary/tertiary experience with this kind of thing, the guides make nearly their entire pay check off tips. Whatever you pay for a hunt like this, most if not all of that goes to the boss and covers costs. The folk who take care of you need you to take care of them. Over tipping in this context imo would be nearly impossible with a successful hunt.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
I see no reason to not tip the guide the same as you would a really good waitress or waiter. 18-20 percent. After all they will be your eyes, ears and load barer.

Reactions: GDog-Rick

·
8,875 Posts
Depends on … whether the guide is male or female. :p 😂 :love:

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
If it is a 2X1 guiding situation I would tip at 10% if I had an exceptional experience. 10-20% is normal for 1X1 situation. I usually tip the cook $100-200 depending on the quality of the meals.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've never been on a guided hunt, but I believe I'd tip as much as I could reasonably afford...especially this year. You never know- that guide and/or cook might have been off work since March. That tip might mean a great deal to his/her family. My 2 cents

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
I have a hunt coming up the first 5 days of October. This is with Harpole whitetail lodge in Pike county Ill. We ar there for 5 days and 6 nights. We have 1 guide for every 2 hunters. They do not sit with you when hunting but take care of getting you to the stand, tracking, gutting and getting your deer back to the lodge. I believe they will help you process your deer if needed. What I need to know what would be the proper procedures on tipping the people involved. Never done a hunt like this so I have no idea what would be a proper amount to give. Thanks stack
That's a beautiful place Stack. I wish you the best of luck there with the early season hunt!

I've been on a few hunts like yours and the general advice above is good. 10-15% of the cost of the hunt is a typical guideline for tipping unpaid guides, which most are.
Your host should comment on this at some point in their documents, FAQs or hunter introduction meeting.

Additional things to consider on how much (or how little) to tip are how the guide helps you. Like giving you advice or move options if traffic is slow, brings in decoys or attractant if allowed, keeps scent control products at hand, has hand warmers, water bottles etc. As you note, they often will help with the animal prep. I have taken the time to give that cash tip directly to the guide at the time of that service. $75-150 depending on what they did (gut, quarter, cape). And in some cases they may not be a good guide which means you have to make a choice and I've experienced that once. A minimal tip because of poor service should be coupled to a discussion with the Host.

Another thing to consider on tipping is "do you plan to return". If so and this guide was great, maybe a little more of a tip will help for next year?

I also typically provide a tip given to the Host for the Cook/Cooks and Support Staff. It may be nominal ($20-40) for staff, maybe a bit more for the cooks but it goes a long way with those folks and the Host.

BTW, passing on a beautiful bulked up early season 140" can be tough ;)

I'll be in NW Missouri (west of this pace) about a month after your hunt. Chase the big ones my way would ya?

Happy Trails!

·
Registered
211 Posts
If he gets you on some slammers and your happy take care of him.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's a beautiful place Stack. I wish you the best of luck there with the early season hunt!

I've been on a few hunts like yours and the general advice above is good. 10-15% of the cost of the hunt is a typical guideline for tipping unpaid guides, which most are.
Your host should comment on this at some point in their documents, FAQs or hunter introduction meeting.

Additional things to consider on how much (or how little) to tip are how the guide helps you. Like giving you advice or move options if traffic is slow, brings in decoys or attractant if allowed, keeps scent control products at hand, has hand warmers, water bottles etc. As you note, they often will help with the animal prep. I have taken the time to give that cash tip directly to the guide at the time of that service. $75-150 depending on what they did (gut, quarter, cape). And in some cases they may not be a good guide which means you have to make a choice and I've experienced that once. A minimal tip because of poor service should be coupled to a discussion with the Host.

Another thing to consider on tipping is "do you plan to return". If so and this guide was great, maybe a little more of a tip will help for next year?

I also typically provide a tip given to the Host for the Cook/Cooks and Support Staff. It may be nominal ($20-40) for staff, maybe a bit more for the cooks but it goes a long way with those folks and the Host.

BTW, passing on a beautiful bulked up early season 140" can be tough ;)

I'll be in NW Missouri (west of this pace) about a month after your hunt. Chase the big ones my way would ya?

View attachment 182580

Happy Trails!
Thanks TX. Ours is a minimum 140 to shoot. I’m looking for a big one. To everyone who has given me information on this subject I want to thank you all. I will take care of everyone that helps make my hunt successful.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts

·
8,875 Posts
You know as well as I they "ain't" no way the guide is gonna look that one on the right!! The one on left, almost guaranteed! LOL
LOL … well she probably doesn't know her butt from her elbow about getting you a slammer buck anyway. And she sure as heck ain't gonna be up to her elbows in guts and dragging a 210lb deer for ya. The gnarly ole timer on the other hand is probably Boone & Crockett rolled into one leathery Marine and full of stories, jokes and woodsmanship.

Reminds me of a riddle/joke one of the gang told about 50 years ago. "If you were marooned on a desert island with anyone in the world, who would it be?" The answers went from guy to guy, Ann Margret, Bo Dereck, Rachel Welch, all the beauties of the day. The last smart arse says: "A US Army survival expert." You didn't know whether to laugh or hit him with one of those "pile on Johnny" deals where he gets knocked down and buried in humanity.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
You could use a sliding scale up to 20% depending on your satisfaction 😉 as an example. Only you can be the judge of that. If you take your life time mega buck as opposed to a cull buck your level of satisfaction could vary widely.

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
It never seemed to work out to good for Gilligan no matter what he did.....lol...

·
Registered
26 Posts
It really depends on everything.
I hunted a place last year,took 2 great deer and had a blast.
Guide was one on one,I helped him load both bucks in the truck,he hung them,I watched him do the gutless butchering,he processed my meat to my specs,and caped out the bucks.
Boxed my meat upon departure, and had my bucks bagged up and ready for the taxidermist. Drove me around the place,made sure I was fed great,and was willing to let my hunt...be my hunt.
He knew the area well,knew where certain bucks may be etc etc.
And the cook was amazing,and she always made sure there was plenty of coffee,tea and snacks on hand 24/7.
I gave each cook 200 and my guide 1000.
That was a tad more than 10%.
They were really appreciative and told me I wouldnt believe the number of people who would come...spent 10 to 20k on a hunt,and not tip a dime.
They have bills just like the rest of us.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Tipping is always an interesting topic. Like most, I figure 10-20%, depending on the guide- what did he do for you/how good was he?

To me the variables matter, though. IMO there is a difference between a guide who spends the entire day guiding you and the person who drives you to & from a tree stand - one spent the entire day vrs. one spent maybe an hour on you.

I guess you might say one is guided one is semi-guided. Tip the same for both? And most of the hunts I've been on (Hogs in Texas) there was a separate fee for gutting/skin/quarter - done most myself.

Anyway, I'll give a good tip if they invested much time in me.

Unless the guide is a complete jerk. Only had one of those (arrogant, mouthy know-it-all). This guy had to be related to the owner - he made the hunt not fun & got no tip from me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts