Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
2,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I was at our club’s range shooting today, the guy who sets up all the 3D shoots came over to talk. We conversed a while about many things, including how crossbows are viewed by the United Bowhunters of PA, who fought pretty hard against inclusion. One thing he said struck me, so I thought I would share it here to see what members opinions were. The statement was that most who were active in archery hunting before going to the crossbow seem to pretty much continue with similar setups and shot distances, while guys who always gun hunted are more likely to be interested in pushing shot distances on game out past 60 yards or so. I know it’s not universally true, but it does apply to me. Thoughts?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Makes some sense for a few reasons. Many rifle hunters are used to hunting with an "If I can see it, I can shoot it" mentality. It's only natural for those types to want to push the distance envelope on a weapon that has a stock and a trigger. Essentially in their minds they are rifle hunting during archery season. Guys that have come from vertical bows on the other hand, understand the capabilities and limitations of archery in general. I fall in to the in between category. I started out archery hunting and shooting at age 12. I also began rifle hunting around that age. Archery hunting was my favorite, and I gravitated more towards picking up my bow and hunting, than I did using my rifle. There is a lot to be said for experience in the field. I just KNOW what is a good or bad archery shot from experience. I am pretty well capped off at 50 yards with a crossbow, which is 10 yards further than I ever shot at any game with my vertical bow. Would I shoot past that 50 yards if the conditions and opportunity seemed to be just right? I likely would, but only within reason, say maybe 60 yards. I believe a lot of this has to do with mind-set, how and who helped train/mentor you, and plain old common sense. (Which as we all know, isn't always too common)

Even extensive practicing does not guarantee an ethical/successful long range shot on game. The one thing you generally cannot replicate during practice is control of your adrenaline rush. Once that "Buck fever" type rush comes over a hunter, it's a whole different ballgame, and the likelihood you miss or make a bad shot is more amplified as the distance increases. The further the shot, the less margin for error. I personally don't exhibit much of an adrenaline rush during a live shot, but it still exists to a degree within us all. Basically what the fella was doing was "Stereo-typing" based on his thoughts and observations IMO. There is likely some truth to what he said, but in my mind it's not enough to really even think too much about it. People will be people, and we are ALL human in the end. Human's do dumb stuff and make mistakes, use bad judgement, etc. The difference between those humans is which ones LEARN from they're mistakes and do not repeat them.

·
8,999 Posts
Thank Ravin … and the following 100 yard marketing copycats. Ravin was never marketing to archers; gun hunters were their target.

·
8,999 Posts
I grew up shooting both archery and guns. I have still not shot a deer over 40 yards and probably will not do so yet I own a Ravin. Go figure Duke!
Crossbow Nation … the few members who bought Ravin crossbows did so from a position of experience and knowledge. (Either that or they were seduced by Moon's Ravin informercial running for the last year and a half...lol ;)) CBN members are an aberration in the crossbow world, not the mainstream buyer. I've always said forum members are only 1% and the most dedicated and knowledgeable in the crossbow community. How many Ravin owners are here? Ten? Fifty? That's a thimble in an ocean of Ravin sales. The guy didn't get 95 million dollars for a company selling 50 crossbows to knowledgeable crossbowers. :) My point being any Ravin owners around here don't fit the Ravin marketing profile and they bought on the merits of the crossbow, not thinking it will produce 100 yard, rifle like lethality in archery season.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
It's not only rifle hunters. I belonged to an archery club where crossbows werent permitted. Those guy were always looking for bragging rights. Before crossbows became big. The target range was out to 100yrds. Yes guys would shoot at game with vertical bows out to jabip. Long range archery has been around from the vertical days. The crossbow just pushed things along. The 3d range had targets set up past 60 yrds. The traditional guys would argue the distance more so than the vertical bow guys. They wanted to shoot distance. My longest shot on a critter with the vertical bow was 68yrds a good 20 years ago. She was just as dead at 68 as she would have been at 20 yrds.

·
4,755 Posts
Crossbow Nation … the few members who bought Ravin crossbows did so from a position of experience and knowledge. (Either that or they were seduced by Moon's Ravin informercial running for the last year and a half...lol ;)) CBN members are an aberration in the crossbow world, not the mainstream buyer. I've always said forum members are only 1% and the most dedicated and knowledgeable in the crossbow community. How many Ravin owners are here? Ten? Fifty? That's a thimble in an ocean of Ravin sales. The guy didn't get 95 million dollars for a company selling 50 crossbows to knowledgeable crossbowers. :) My point being any Ravin owners around here don't fit the Ravin marketing profile and they bought on the merits of the crossbow, not thinking it will produce 100 yard, rifle like lethality in archery season.
I think this post is dead on! I’ve shot the R26 twice and the R29 Sniper and Vengent, along with the SWAT XP.
Being an accuracy fanatic, plus appreciating the simplicity and other attributes of the XP, I fully understand the appeal of the Ravins and the 10-Points. Regardless of the advertising, Ravin changed the entire direction the crossbow design. They have a very nice feel to me.
Each crossbow has its own set of strengths and weaknesses. No “one size” fits all.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Ill admit i was seduced by Moons Ravin infomercial and im glad i was. Hands down the best crossbow ive ever had. With that said i dont care how good of a shot i was theres no way in hell id try a 100 yard shot on a deer. Thats just ridiculous. I dont even like shooting deer with a rifle at 100 yards through the woods let alone trying it with a crossbow. I like deer close. I would be comfortable taking a fifty yard shot if the conditions were right but thankfully since ive started using a crossbow all of my shots have been twenty yards or less. Hopefully it stays that way with the Ravin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
11,411 Posts
Duke, you know damn’d well I did not buy a Ravin resulting from what anyone else said, including Ravin’s advertisements. Just holding a R26 was its first pull to me. It’s numerous unique innovative designs also added to its appeal to me, so I called Dave at Wyvern to get one. I was thinking I would be selling it quickly because there is no way that little light weight crossbow would be consistently accurate. WOW!!! I could not believe the accuracy of this little crossbow using Ravin standard supplied arrows. It’s only weakness was mediocre string/cable servings but they lasted through one hunting season. Archery Shack strings and cables took care of that problem. Overall, I’ll have to rate the R26 number 1 over the 20 other crossbows I’ve had hanging in my shop during the last 17 years. I love my Excal recurves and Stryker 350 but this little jewel is everything I need and want now in a hunting crossbow.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
For me I changed with the times. I never hunted much with a vertical bow. My son got me started with Horton 20 years ago. Up until about 10 years ago I thought 30 yards was the extent of my range for whitetails. Then one day out of curiosity I shot to 60 yards for learning experience. I was surprise to learn my Horton crossbow shot accurate at 50 yards. It wasn't too long after that I took my first doe at 45 yards. That has continued as long as I get a good shot.
Now as new technology and design brings more capable crossbows to the market I upgrade.
After trying a few I like the Killer Instinct that I bought over two years ago. I recently was inspired to shoot at long range for fun and learning the capability of my equipment and myself. I was surprised what I learned and happy I tried it. But still my limits on taking game at long distances have remain less than 60 yards. There is too many factors to consider when taking long range shots to do while hunting.

·
11,411 Posts
I’m not going to judge anyone else’s hunting shot distances.
I know advertising BS when I see it. I can’t do anything about it so I ignore it.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
I’m not going to judge anyone else’s hunting shot distances.
I know advertising BS when I see it. I can’t do anything about it so I ignore it.
With all do respect!
Moon if you think I am advertising someone product you are incorrect. I receive nothing for doing this. It is a fact what I used to make the shot is all.

Reactions: TomOnTheRun

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I think there is a lot of truth in what he was saying, I'm sure like everything there are exceptions to the normal. But most buddies of mine who have made the change have and still hunt just as they did when using the vertical archery equipment. I try and keep everything inside 40 yards still today, that is what I still consider my 100% success range. I have taken shots longer but only 3 times that I remember, and one was with my Hoyt, all three were very rare opportunities, and all three gave me plenty of time to study my target and how it was responding to everything to do with it's surroundings.

But most who are what I call cowboys, and never put the time into any archery equipment, they seem to think it is like using something other than a bow. But I have herd a few who bought a crossbow thinking it was easier to state it really wasn't in a lot of situations. I myself was ready to through the thing out when I first started using it. It was harder to shoot offhand for the first thing, then when picking stand locations, I had to change several after using them not used to the horizontal over vertical format, things in my way, and difficulty getting shots let alone a couple times contacting things that I was not ever worried about contacting and making noise with my vertical platform, which cost me some opportunities when I first went to a crossbow.

I think many regardless what they shoot, will be risk takers and make shots beyond their means. But those who have been there, and been responsible high percentage hunters are well aware of the fact, it is still archery, and it has it's advantages only in certain situations. I also think those that are experienced in vertical bow hunting will always realize that there were advantages with vertical bows that are not there with crossbows.

Reactions: Spot-on-arrow

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
With all do respect!
Moon if you think I am advertising someone product you are incorrect. I receive nothing for doing this. It is a fact what I used to make the shot is all.
I don't think Tom was singling you out, or referring to your choice of manufacturer!

·
Registered
273 Posts
I too came over from vertical due to shoulder problems. I am in the camp of keeping shots as close as possible and this Is with a Nemisis which I think is very capable of long range accuracy! I limit my shots to max of 40-45. However I will say that I have the setup to range and shoot longer if a Coyote gives me the opportunity.

·
8,999 Posts
I too came over from vertical due to shoulder problems. I am in the camp of keeping shots as close as possible and this Is with a Nemisis which I think is very capable of long range accuracy! I limit my shots to max of 40-45. However I will say that I have the setup to range and shoot longer if a Coyote gives me the opportunity.

Reactions: SEW

·
4,755 Posts
With all do respect!
I know Moon extremely well! He wasn’t referencing your post at all. Essentially, he is pretty severly handicapped due to his stroke. The detuned R26 is what he can most easily use. In addition, he (and others, self included) admire the engineering of the Ravin, especially the R26. Virtually every one of us wish Ravin advertised differently. Unfortunately, it worked.
Again, I can assure you, he wasn’t referencing your post.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Well that is cool! However maybe he will clarify. I realize on the surface without opening my video it appears to be an ad. However one might realize that was my first ever selfie video of shooting. It just turned I titled with the brand I made the shot. I could change to Spot On make a 115 yarder. LOL! But during the past few weeks I have expanded my views of crossbow shooting. It is fun to go long and get it right.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
This is a group of grownup big boy's, and trust us you have made your intentions clear and we know the difference. Tom has made it clear before he ever bought into the Ravin, his dislike for their advertising. He also makes it clear everyone has the right to like what they like! But you are starting to sound like you are the one that expects others to frown on you for trying something you like. It ain't like you are actually condoning taking shots at ever deer that walks in to sight, and not conding head shots.

Trust us this was a knock on the advertising of the very company he is supporting at this time!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts