Crossbow Nation banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wondered why there isn't a gearhead sect on here. I like that those target bows are railless. Is this a bad thing? Any problems? I'm not a speed freak anymore. Looking for a good 3d bow. They don't even like my mission sub 1 (heavy arrow) at the archery range.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Perhaps you better ask on a more vertical-focussed archery forum.
Most current bows look ok to me, but I would try them out before.
Seems they still have this protruding pistol grip on many bows, which are IMHO more of a design bug than a feature.
Makes it much easier to torque to bow, and spoil the shot.

I remembered only the extremely short (and expensive) bows with a pistol grip they had some while ago.
Which would not be my first choice for 3D, with up to 60yd shots ...

·
1,027 Posts
I just wondered why there isn't a gearhead sect on here. I like that those target bows are railless. Is this a bad thing? Any problems? I'm not a speed freak anymore. Looking for a good 3d bow. They don't even like my mission sub 1 (heavy arrow) at the archery range.
You could always go with a 350 grain arrow and back the limbs out on your Sub 1.

Reactions: Kriss Krossbow

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I agree but they're not liking me at the 3D range here in California I just thought maybe the gearhead would look more innocent with the regular arrow.

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I get what you mean now. I can really lower the weight and shoot a 350 grain "total" arrow. Yes the arrow would do less damage that way.

·
1,027 Posts
I get what you mean now. I can really lower the weight and shoot a 350 grain "total" arrow. Yes the arrow would do less damage that way.
350 total grains is the lightest you can shoot and maintain your warranty. I do t recommend shooting them that light unless your lowering your draw weight.

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
350 total grains is the lightest you can shoot and maintain your warranty. I do t recommend shooting them that light unless your lowering your draw weight.
Yes I agree. Well now I'm making all my arrows heavy lol. I have kept 6 of them light. Just been shooting at the yard where I work so it's been ok .

·
Registered
738 Posts
I have a Gearhead X16 tactical takedown crossbow...it's actually a very neat bow.
It's the 125 lb. version. They make a 90 lb. and a 75 lb. model as well. The owner, Skip, I believe his name is, is a very nice gentleman and great to talk to.
The bow seems "huge" by today's standards but it balances well, in my opinion, and shoots real nice. If you use one, just make sure that the nock clips on the string real well. I broke a string awhile back because of this. Bow partially dry fired. Fortunately there was no damage to the bow or limbs. I did, however, get slapped pretty good in the cheek!
I can easily cock it without a rope cocker.
I may try hunting with it this season ☺

·
Registered
738 Posts
I added a custom grip to mine, seems much better than the factory one.
Additionally, they are very light for such a "big" bow...it is also pretty darn quiet at the shot too!

·
3,622 Posts
I agree but they're not liking me at the 3D range here in California I just thought maybe the gearhead would look more innocent with the regular arrow.
While Mr Miller is much more knowledgeable than I am, I think it’s important that you can use “regular arrows” with the Mission too. I use 22” arrows when I shoot 3d with my Dagger. They just stick out the front a bit. I would suggest you become familiar with the people who set up and run the range. Show them your crossbow and arrows. Let them know you will back off the limb bolts to reduce possible target damage. Then if it’s just “other shooters” who don’t want you there, that’s their problem.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I have a Gearhead X16 tactical takedown crossbow...it's actually a very neat bow.
It's the 125 lb. version. They make a 90 lb. and a 75 lb. model as well. The owner, Skip, I believe his name is, is a very nice gentleman and great to talk to.
The bow seems "huge" by today's standards but it balances well, in my opinion, and shoots real nice. If you use one, just make sure that the nock clips on the string real well. I broke a string awhile back because of this. Bow partially dry fired. Fortunately there was no damage to the bow or limbs. I did, however, get slapped pretty good in the cheek!
It is Skip, awesome guy! He will go out of his way to make you happy. Great customer service. I had the T24 vertical and I am thinking to get another T24 but in carbon this time.

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes I don't mind a huge bow. I go for longevity, and accuracy. How long string last. Stuff like that. Sounds good.

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
While Mr Miller is much more knowledgeable than I am, I think it’s important that you can use “regular arrows” with the Mission too. I use 22” arrows when I shoot 3d with my Dagger. They just stick out the front a bit. I would suggest you become familiar with the people who set up and run the range. Show them your crossbow and arrows. Let them know you will back off the limb bolts to reduce possible target damage. Then if it’s just “other shooters” who don’t want you there, that’s their problem.
Hmm, it's just my sub 1 shoots so perfect now with the hha on it. Not going to tweak it for awhile. I didn't know that about regular arrows, thx.

·
3,622 Posts
Hmm, it's just my sub 1 shoots so perfect now with the hha on it. Not going to tweak it for awhile. I didn't know that about regular arrows, thx.
Well, I personally don’t think the Sub 1 is too fast, unless they are putting out small, shot up targets at close range. Biggest thing is trying to talk with the guys who run the range and show them you are not shooting some fire breathing dragon. As tryinhard said, the sub 1 is probably the most used crossbow for ASA and IBO 3D shoots.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
I've never shot one but I see several at the national tournaments. I don't hear people complaining so they must be decent bows. As mentioned you can always back off on your sub 1 if you don't want to spend the money. Either way you chose will be a good 3D setup.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Another company I will throw in the mix is Darton. It will require some patience waiting but I think at some point they are going to jump into the 3D game. They have always built a solid crossbow. All they need is to slow one down for ASA rules and have some type of contingency program in place. I don't know when but I think it will happen.

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Question of the day.
I know it's an old post but why don't people use sub 1 lites for 3d? I mean you could use like a 400 or 420 Grn arrow. Just curious.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Question of the day.
I know it's an old post but why don't people use sub 1 lites for 3d? I mean you could use like a 400 or 420 Grn arrow. Just curious.
There are some that do but most people want more speed than the sub lite is capable of for 3D, even on known distance. Plus most shooters prefer to use a heavier arrow and that slows the lite down even more. Light arrow is more subject to wind drift and glances off easier. If you shoot a 425-450gr arrow in a bow the speed of the lite you would be 280-290fps or there abouts.

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
There are some that do but most people want more speed than the sub lite is capable of for 3D, even on known distance. Plus most shooters prefer to use a heavier arrow and that slows the lite down even more. Light arrow is more subject to wind drift and glances off easier. If you shoot a 425-450gr arrow in a bow the speed of the lite you would be 280-290fps or there abouts.
Thx. I get it now.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts